American Express

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Municipal Bond Analyst Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express in March 2013.

Interview Details – The reason for my post here is to publicly state my strong suspicion that a certain department at AmEx is using job candidates to do uncompensated work for them under the disguise of testing them. I was assigned a three-day research project on issues that have a current importance and value, then heard nothing more from AmEx and the job opening was posted again.

Further details:
I'm a municipal bond credit analyst, and the majority of my work consists of writing ratings opinions on bonds, similar to S&P and Moody's reports. The job opening required precisely this. I interviewed with a bond analyst who said that he was overwhelmed with work and had needed someone to help him for a long time already. I also interviewed with some kind of administrative manager of the department who did not know anything about the technical side of the work. The interview went smoothly, and I was told that there is nothing in my experience or skills that falls short of the job requirements.

Some time later I received a request to do a research project, allegedly as a test of my writing. At the interview before, I had already brought about 20 recent report samples, and offered my former manager's reference to confirm the authenticity of my work. Despite this, they now said that they needed 2 new reports on specific bonds of their choice. I did the research and delivered the reports. New credit research is something that is objectively valuable, with a value (conservatively) of at least $100 per report.

I immediately received a short email saying I will not be considered for employment and nothing else. My request for feedback was refused. The same day an identical job posting was published on the AmEx website: "Mgr-Risk & Information Management Job – New York, NY, US".

From all the facts it is possible to reasonably surmise that they are using job candidates to help them with their large burden of work. The fact that the position was immediately reposted meant that they did not refuse me as a result of finding a better candidate. They told me I satisfied the job requirements, that they had an urgent need for help with their work burden, and refused to give any feedback on my reports. Either they discovered something about me that they discriminate against and can't say it, or they are illegally using people to do their work for free.

I hope that anyone applying to this position will carefully consider all the above before spending days doing work for them.

--KW

Interview Question – A 3-day research project was assigned, writing ratings opinions on the credit condition of certain municipal bonds.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Municipal Bond Analyst interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.