American Express

107 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Manager Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – American Express has a very thorough interview process, that included a phone screening, group interview and senior manager interview. The process was very professional, questions were well thought out and I felt like I was treated with respect. I was offered the position but ultimately turned it down.

Interview Question – What is your biggest failure and how did you learn from the failure?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Met with 4 people separately, and received detailed questions about the position and was able to convey how I could help them succeed.

Interview Question – Are you a detail oriented type of person or a big picture type of person?   Answer Question

Digital Commerce Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in February 2014.

Interview Details – First had two phone interviews, each lasting roughly a half hour. Mostly behavioral - ex. "What was a time you overcame a difficult situation to obtain a result?" and the like. Relatively easy stuff.

Next was in person interview at their office in NYC. Met with two managers, both for a half hour, then had a half hour break between and talked with their "ambassadors", or recent hires. Overall a pretty nice experience.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you took a risk to do what you thought was right.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Risk Manager Interview

Risk Manager
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, 1 on campus, another on-site. Applied through college website.

Interview Question – Behavioral and Situational questions, no technical ones.   View Answer

Risk Management Summer Analyst Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in January 2014.

Interview Details – On campus, two 45 minutes interviews. No break. Informed by email. First asked to tell about myself, then a lot of behavior questions like leadership, group teamwork. And technical question like how to expand business in emerging market. Then a lot of description about the structure of their department.

Interview Question – Technical Question   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express in February 2011.

Interview Details – The Business Insights team was launched in 2010 and grew to 300 employees globally. This was primarily an analytics team that provided Merchants with custom data solutions. I was hired to develop a self-service, online data platform to service small-to-medium sized merchants. This team was smart and innovative; consultants that came from diverse backgrounds -- data, quant jocks, sales, management consulting, etc. This entire organization is now sitting under the Merchant Marketing org which really struggles to leverage data as part of their marketing strategies and consulting engagements.

American Express tends to be biased towards hiring MBAs and individuals with management consulting backgrounds. They love strategy and marketing jargon but are a bit lacking by way of execution and consistency. Everyone moves jobs/departments every 18-24 months - that's an accepted practice and almost expected if you want to be promoted. While this is great for exposure to different parts of the company, it does not encourage ownership and accountability. So often times people would build products that would launch but are not sustainable... and they spent millions of dollars developing an idea that doesn't actually work in practice. Quite frankly, it's a waste.

Interview Question – How would you sell in a data product to a company that doesn't work with data?   View Answer

Finance Director Interview

Finance Director
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in July 2010.

Interview Details – I've done a few internal interviews during my time at AXP. For the most part, they tend to be highly behavioral with what-if scenarios that focus on leadership and partner management as we are a very cross functional organization.

External interviews tend to have some skills based questions, case studies, but also include a heavy focus on personality and fit within the organization. The focus on fit is large, because people tend to move quite a bit. So a person that you hire, might move to another role down the road.

In general external interviews will include multiple rounds, with two to three interviewers each. Internal interviews usually include two to three individuals.

My advise for these interviews is to focus on whether or not you'd like to work with these individuals. Leaders tend to be the biggest factor for success at AXP.

Interview Question – Typical behavioral questions, which made them expected for the most part.

Most challenging one would have been "tell me about a time when you needed to fix a poor working relationship?".
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating range varies by group, but it tends to be small. Each position has a salary range and leaders need to get approval by HR to change their potential offers. HR has a lot of input on how much leaders can pay and external hire.

Email Operations Analyst Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2012.

Interview Details – There were 2 phone interviews (one with HR and one with Hiring Manager) plus 2 in person (Hiring Manager and Director). There were the traditional questions like "Tell me about a time when"

Interview Question – I was asked very specific questions and asked for specific numbers and analytics which I wasn't expecting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to get $5,000 more than the offered salary.

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in April 2012.

Interview Details – Coordinated with a recruiter for a phone screen. Was asked to come back to the office for 2 interviews with Directors. Was called back for a 3rd interview with the VP. Was offered a position through contact directly with the hiring manager. Was on boarded 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – Case studies about the card business.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation

Strategy Consultant Interview

New York, NY

I interviewed at American Express in June 2013.

Interview Details – Several rounds of phone interviews, the process took a long time but speed up once internal HR was hounded. First caller was late to my call and lasted only 5 min. Second call consisted of a case. Last call, I was invited to HQ for a visit only later to have received a letter to not come.

Interview Question – Business case was dependent on knowing industry jargon.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express interview questions and advice in New York City, NY. All 107 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.