American Express Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.9

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

American Express has a very thorough interview process, that included a phone screening, group interview and senior manager interview. The process was very professional, questions were well thought out and I felt like I was treated with respect. I was offered the position but ultimately turned it down.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest failure and how did you learn from the failure?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express in March 2014.

I had one very long interview during which I met the two executives I would be supporting. Most of the interview consisted of being shown why there is a need for the position I was being considered for. A few questions about what my strengths and weaknesses would be within this position.

Interview Questions
    • Do you look at this job opportunity as a career or as a stepping stone along your career path?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate on salary. Be fair and they will be fair as well.

Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Express.

2 interviews, 1 on campus, another on-site. Applied through college website.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral and Situational questions, no technical ones.   View Answer

Digital Commerce Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express in February 2014.

First had two phone interviews, each lasting roughly a half hour. Mostly behavioral - ex. "What was a time you overcame a difficult situation to obtain a result?" and the like. Relatively easy stuff.

Next was in person interview at their office in NYC. Met with two managers, both for a half hour, then had a half hour break between and talked with their "ambassadors", or recent hires. Overall a pretty nice experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you took a risk to do what you thought was right.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express in February 2014.

I applied online and the recruiter contacted me after a week or so. I was scheduled for an onsite interview to meet the VP and Director. I wasn't comfortable with the interview with the VP right from the start. He never introduced his role, his team, where the position fit in the org chart. I answered all his questions but I was confused through out the process. Every time I asked him whether this is what the newly hired person would do, he responded by saying that they have a person for this. So, I was left very confused. The interview with the director was a little better off. I ensured I asked him more about the position, what they want, and where does the role fit in the overall scheme of things. The first interviewer never mentioned all this and asked me how I would contribute to the team.

Culture wise the company seems good. Laid back and not very demanding. It seemed that they treat their employees well

Interview Questions
    • The first question - how would you contribute to the position. As I didn't have a telephone interview and this was the first time I was speaking with the hiring leaders, I had no idea what they want, why are they hiring. The job description was very vague - a list of tasks that perhaps even an intern could perform   Answer Question

Manager - Product Development - Sales Force Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in February 2014.

I was approached by an internal recruiter on Linkedin. The interview process was smooth initially. I was interviewed by two very professional and knowledgeable Directors over a span of two weeks. I was then scheduled for a face to face at which point everything went downhill.
    The interviewer seemed disinterested and her body language was very negative (yawning, scratching her back), seemed like she was forced into the interview process. The Monday after the interview I received an email from their job management system indicating that the role that I had applied for had been cancelled. I emailed the recruitment co-ordinator to confirm. She informed me that the job had been cancelled and a similar one was out there that i could apply to instead. A second recruiter emailed me saying that I was being still considered for the job that had been apparently been cancelled (read: total disconnect within recruiting dept.)
    I applied to the new role when I was assured that the interview process would not be repeated from scratch. The next day I got another system email informing me that I had been rejected for the job that had been cancelled the day before, with no follow up on the new role. At the end of the day they had no idea what role was open, which one had been cancelled and which role I was being considered for.Madness.
    I tried reaching out to them one final time to no response. Bravo Amex Hiring Dept!

Interview Questions
    • What would you do the first 30 days on the job?
      What has your post Go-Live experience been?

Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in November 2013.

Waste of time. The experience of interviewing with American express for the data scientist position made me wonder wether being a data scientist means that you are a geek with no decent people skill. They treated me in a very unprofessional and unaccepted way. They did not care about showing up on time for interviews. The worst part is that they threw random questions at me. All of the questions were something you could find online for typical interview questions for quantitative positions. I guess they did search for something online before the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I think that one of the questions they asked was just have no answer. I seriously doubt the validity of the question.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in October 2013.

Four step process. (1) An initial phone interview with the hiring leader, very informal, wanted to know my background, expertise, future endeavors, etc. (2) A two-part, in person interview at the office. I met with the hiring leader and another Sr. Manager. I was asked to discuss my education and work experience followed by a series of scenario based questions. The format was very relaxing and enjoyable. (3) I was contacted shortly after for a second, in person interview with the VP of the group. This included another set of scenario based questions and was much more formal. (4) After my interview with the VP, I was asked to complete a case study. Very heavy on data analysis and had to present my power point via phone to the hiring leader. Was contacted the next day offering me the position. A great, efficient experience. The company is renovating their offices to a new, more collaborative environment. Both of my interviews were held on these renovated floors.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were mostly scenario based. Questions required examples of what steps you completed in order to work through an analytical process.   Answer Question

Manager, Data Analytics and Capabilities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Applied online and was contacted by HR. I was required to write 4-5 reasons why I was an ideal candidate for this job which was forwarded to the hiring Director. Went in for an interview, pretty straight forward. I was interviewed by 4 Directors, the questions were behavioral and also a feel if I would be a good fit for the department

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, HR asked what my ideal salary was and they met my expectations

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in September 2013.

Can be lengthy and don't always expect to hear to back if you were not selected.

Interview Questions
    • Review "critical thinking" questions. There are lot of unexpected questions, like "tell me about your time in H.S.?"   Answer Question