American Express Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Aug 19, 2015

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Two rounds. 1st was on campus and consisted of two 45 min interviews. These two focused on behavioral and situational, though most time was spent on one vague situational question. The 2nd round was super day at their NY office. This consisted of 30 min interviews and were all behavioral.

Interview Questions

• What would you need to know when selecting two international markets to focus your product on?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Process was very smooth and quick. Everything happened within a weeks times between the first and second interview. Amex responded quickly within 24 hours after the interviews and the questions and structure of the interview were what were to be expected. Unlike other companies I interviewed for, Amex took a keen interest in my extracurricular interests, which most definitely embodies the type of culture they have.

Marketing Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

It was originally supposed to be at my campus with 2 back to back 45 minute interviews but because of a snowstorm, it was over the phone. I had applied through the campus career center and had heard back congratulating me for getting an interview. I had an average interview but the situational questions were very pertinent to credit card services.

Risk and Information Management Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

One on campus interview with two representatives @ 45 minutes each, and then a superday at the office with two more representatives. Not really many technical questions, but you do need to tell a good story and be a sociable person. They look for outgoing people more than someone that will sit and code all day. They are also very quick to invite you to following interview rounds and job offers.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a charge card and a credit card? Which card realizes losses faster in a poor economy?   1 Answer

Risk&Information Management Graduate Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

There are two rounds of interviews. Both of them are back-to-back 1hr30min The first round is telephone interview and the second one is on-site interview. The on-site interview will last for the entire morning from 8am to 12:30pm. Amex provided very great breakfast and had one VP give a speech to all the candidates during the breakfast. Then the candidates were brought to different teams for the interviews. During the break of the interviews, you can talk with the current employees of the department.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of trends will you pay attention to and what decisions will you make based on those trends?   Answer Question
    • What mistakes did you make and what lessons did you learn from them?   Answer Question
    • How do credit card companies make the decision whether approve the credit card application or not?   Answer Question
    • How would you represent/quantify the risks when the company want to launch a new product?   Answer Question

MBA Risk and Information Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The initial interview was 2 back to back 1 on 1 interviews with 2 directors at the New York office. The questions asked ranged from product development, big data, and leadership/behavioral questions. The final interview was at the company's headquarters in NY. It's about a 4 hour process that includes getting to me your peers competing for the internships as well as a introduction to American Express from a Senior Leader. Afterwards you are split up into groups based on your internship. Again you have 2 back to back 1 on 1 interviews with management. Was relatively the same questions as the initial interview. Be prepared to get into as much detail as possible.

Interview Questions

• If a marketing manager were to come to you with a new product to launch, what things would you consider before launching it? What background do you have with big data software? What do you think we use big data for?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process of Amex summer internship is the best organized in my knowledge. We had three rounds of interviews and the final interview is in the Amex office in World Financial Center. We were informed of the interview result within 72 hours of each interview, and a senior manager called me personally for the offer of internship. Oddly, it was more exciting and formal than the full time offer that Amex offered me at the end of the internship.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time that you made a mistake at your job, and what did you do to correct it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

Interview

Career services sent out a link to apply. Went to their office visit. Signed up for virtual coffee chat and got advice from the person for the interview process. Highly recommended for those outside AmEx's recruiting schools to follow up with someone who works at the business unit you want to intern at.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied in mid November of 2014. Two days later I got a call from a recruiter. First a phone interview with recruiter.Then an untimed video interviewThen a video interview with hiring manager

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time when you had to deal with an angry customer? How did you overcome that?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

The questions asked in the technical tests were very algorithm-focused and also covered a lot of tricky corners cases in the syntactical details of the Java programming language. I was surprised the interview process took so long - it was just over 2 months from start to finish before I finally got an offer. In between I had 5 phone interviews, 6 on-site technical interviews, a drug test, a full background screening from an independent company and a personality test conducted by 4 of the senior project managers. Towards the end I was getting tired of the process and was tempted to let go of the position but the position was very convenient for me because it was such a short commute - unfortunately I ended up moving later because of external circumstances, but that's beside the point - it was a really long process - they certainly left no stone unturned.

Interview Questions

• Plot a 10x10 matrix and, without using any additional Java library functions or built-in data structures, rotate the matrix by 90 degrees.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was next to no room for negotiation. I tried to get the salary increased but they said there was no room for movement.