American Express Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Aug 3, 2015

Risk and Information Management Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

One on campus interview with two representatives @ 45 minutes each, and then a superday at the office with two more representatives. Not really many technical questions, but you do need to tell a good story and be a sociable person. They look for outgoing people more than someone that will sit and code all day. They are also very quick to invite you to following interview rounds and job offers.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a charge card and a credit card? Which card realizes losses faster in a poor economy?   1 Answer

Risk&Information Management Graduate Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

There are two rounds of interviews. Both of them are back-to-back 1hr30min The first round is telephone interview and the second one is on-site interview. The on-site interview will last for the entire morning from 8am to 12:30pm. Amex provided very great breakfast and had one VP give a speech to all the candidates during the breakfast. Then the candidates were brought to different teams for the interviews. During the break of the interviews, you can talk with the current employees of the department.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of trends will you pay attention to and what decisions will you make based on those trends?   Answer Question
    • What mistakes did you make and what lessons did you learn from them?   Answer Question
    • How do credit card companies make the decision whether approve the credit card application or not?   Answer Question
    • How would you represent/quantify the risks when the company want to launch a new product?   Answer Question

MBA Risk and Information Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The initial interview was 2 back to back 1 on 1 interviews with 2 directors at the New York office. The questions asked ranged from product development, big data, and leadership/behavioral questions. The final interview was at the company's headquarters in NY. It's about a 4 hour process that includes getting to me your peers competing for the internships as well as a introduction to American Express from a Senior Leader. Afterwards you are split up into groups based on your internship. Again you have 2 back to back 1 on 1 interviews with management. Was relatively the same questions as the initial interview. Be prepared to get into as much detail as possible.

Interview Questions

• If a marketing manager were to come to you with a new product to launch, what things would you consider before launching it? What background do you have with big data software? What do you think we use big data for?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Career services sent out a link to apply. Went to their office visit. Signed up for virtual coffee chat and got advice from the person for the interview process. Highly recommended for those outside AmEx's recruiting schools to follow up with someone who works at the business unit you want to intern at.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

The questions asked in the technical tests were very algorithm-focused and also covered a lot of tricky corners cases in the syntactical details of the Java programming language. I was surprised the interview process took so long - it was just over 2 months from start to finish before I finally got an offer. In between I had 5 phone interviews, 6 on-site technical interviews, a drug test, a full background screening from an independent company and a personality test conducted by 4 of the senior project managers. Towards the end I was getting tired of the process and was tempted to let go of the position but the position was very convenient for me because it was such a short commute - unfortunately I ended up moving later because of external circumstances, but that's beside the point - it was a really long process - they certainly left no stone unturned.

Interview Questions

• Plot a 10x10 matrix and, without using any additional Java library functions or built-in data structures, rotate the matrix by 90 degrees.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was next to no room for negotiation. I tried to get the salary increased but they said there was no room for movement.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I had an interview during a conference in October. I was given 2 hours notice from handing my resume over to having a 2:1 interview. I interviewed with a software engineer and an HR rep. The interview consisted of behavioral and technical questions and had a laid-back feel. The technical questions revolved around basic data structures and algorithms similar to what you would see in a Data Structures or Design and Analysis of Algorithms class. I also had to write a simple MySQL query on a given relation. Additionally, I looked at simple classes in Java and located/described bugs. I talked myself through each step out loud and asked questions as I had them. I was given scratch paper, which they kept for analysis. I wrote down as much as I could and did my best to explain all of my decisions. I also showcased my other talents outside of programming to show myself as a well-rounded candidate.

Interview Questions

• Locate the middle node in a single-linked list with one pass through the data.   1 Answer
    • Talk about a time you came up with a creative solution to an issue (computing on non-computing).   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered much more than expected as an entry-level employee. Amex provides relocation packages and sign-on bonuses to sweeten the deal.

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I received an email from them a recruiter. I then called the number from the recruiter and had told him I had applied and introduced myself. he was very acceptable of my introduction. after talking a few moments he went ahead and set up A phone interview with one of his colleaguesthat lasted about 45 minutes. I was then sent for situational questions that had to be answered within 24 hours. I am still waiting to see if I will go on to the next level of interviewing which would be with the hiring manager. I wish told where the position was located and also what the hire date they were looking for was I'm very excited I hope all goes well

Interview Questions

• I wish given a set of or situational questions very extensive beach with guy parts to answer   Answer Question

Corporate Travel Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

I completed the application online which based on the criteria submitted lead me to a 60 minute timed online test. Approximately 2 weeks later I received a phone call to set up a 30 minute phone interview. The questions were typical situation work scenarios that I answered using the star format. I guess I did well with that interview. One week later I received a phone call to set up conference interview for next week. I do not know what this will entail which makes me nervous because I like to be prepared.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question - Tell me about a time that you developed a plan for a problem and how the plan was implemented.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

Very professional HR Recruiter & hiring Manager who asked good questions by phone. Recruiter felt my background fit the job description perfectly but was concerned that the salary was lower than my previous employer. The hiring manager interviewed me by phone as well, and did not move me to the next round as there were other candidates "more aligned to the role", although she provided very positive feedback on being "thoroughly impressed" by my background and my "fantastic energy". I received timely feedback from the recruiter, which allowed me to pursue other opportunities. I had the impression that the hiring manager may already have had a candidate in mind for the role.

Senior Analyst, Campaign Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via email after I applied online to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was about 20-30 minutes long with general questions asked and background information given about the role. The usual "you seem great, I'm going to give your resume to the hiring manager and if interested in setting up a face-to-face, we'll reach back out later on this week." Very pleasant. I received an email from the recruiter a few days later to schedule a face-to-face interview. Met with the whole six-member team each with 30 minute interviews from 9a - 12 noon. Everything went really well. General questions were asked. No case questions. Unfortunately, they went with someone who had an extra year of experience over on me.