American Express

Relevance Date Difficulty

Risk Management Summer Analyst Interview

Risk Management Summer Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in January 2014.

Interview Details – On campus, two 45 minutes interviews. No break. Informed by email. First asked to tell about myself, then a lot of behavior questions like leadership, group teamwork. And technical question like how to expand business in emerging market. Then a lot of description about the structure of their department.

Interview Question – Technical Question   Answer Question

Finance Director Interview

Finance Director
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in July 2010.

Interview Details – I've done a few internal interviews during my time at AXP. For the most part, they tend to be highly behavioral with what-if scenarios that focus on leadership and partner management as we are a very cross functional organization.

External interviews tend to have some skills based questions, case studies, but also include a heavy focus on personality and fit within the organization. The focus on fit is large, because people tend to move quite a bit. So a person that you hire, might move to another role down the road.

In general external interviews will include multiple rounds, with two to three interviewers each. Internal interviews usually include two to three individuals.

My advise for these interviews is to focus on whether or not you'd like to work with these individuals. Leaders tend to be the biggest factor for success at AXP.

Interview Question – Typical behavioral questions, which made them expected for the most part.

Most challenging one would have been "tell me about a time when you needed to fix a poor working relationship?".
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating range varies by group, but it tends to be small. Each position has a salary range and leaders need to get approval by HR to change their potential offers. HR has a lot of input on how much leaders can pay and external hire.

Email Operations Analyst Interview

Email Operations Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2012.

Interview Details – There were 2 phone interviews (one with HR and one with Hiring Manager) plus 2 in person (Hiring Manager and Director). There were the traditional questions like "Tell me about a time when"

Interview Question – I was asked very specific questions and asked for specific numbers and analytics which I wasn't expecting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to get $5,000 more than the offered salary.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in April 2012.

Interview Details – Coordinated with a recruiter for a phone screen. Was asked to come back to the office for 2 interviews with Directors. Was called back for a 3rd interview with the VP. Was offered a position through contact directly with the hiring manager. Was on boarded 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – Case studies about the card business.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation

Strategy Consultant Interview

Strategy Consultant
New York, NY

I interviewed at American Express in June 2013.

Interview Details – Several rounds of phone interviews, the process took a long time but speed up once internal HR was hounded. First caller was late to my call and lasted only 5 min. Second call consisted of a case. Last call, I was invited to HQ for a visit only later to have received a letter to not come.

Interview Question – Business case was dependent on knowing industry jargon.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Human Resources Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in December 2010.

Interview Details – Worst experience. First you are phone-screened quickly by a recruiter about your resume. Next round is usually by phone; can be anywhere from 1-3 managers in a panel. Next round is another panel, either phone or in person, again 1-3 Directors. Next, sometimes final round, is in person with an Executive. All of this can take up to a MONTH! So if you're interviewing with another company & get an offer from them, you may still be in the midst of the Amex interview abyss.
Note - all this wasn't even for a Manager-level role!

Interview Question – Some questions in the different panel interviews were the same.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unless this is for a Director or above, there is no negotiation (at least in Human Resources), although I tried. I accepted due to the company reputation & was told there would be advancement soon.

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in October 2013.

Interview Details – Four step process. (1) An initial phone interview with the hiring leader, very informal, wanted to know my background, expertise, future endeavors, etc. (2) A two-part, in person interview at the office. I met with the hiring leader and another Sr. Manager. I was asked to discuss my education and work experience followed by a series of scenario based questions. The format was very relaxing and enjoyable. (3) I was contacted shortly after for a second, in person interview with the VP of the group. This included another set of scenario based questions and was much more formal. (4) After my interview with the VP, I was asked to complete a case study. Very heavy on data analysis and had to present my power point via phone to the hiring leader. Was contacted the next day offering me the position. A great, efficient experience. The company is renovating their offices to a new, more collaborative environment. Both of my interviews were held on these renovated floors.

Interview Question – The questions were mostly scenario based. Questions required examples of what steps you completed in order to work through an analytical process.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Data Scientist
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in November 2013.

Interview Details – Waste of time. The experience of interviewing with American express for the data scientist position made me wonder wether being a data scientist means that you are a geek with no decent people skill. They treated me in a very unprofessional and unaccepted way. They did not care about showing up on time for interviews. The worst part is that they threw random questions at me. All of the questions were something you could find online for typical interview questions for quantitative positions. I guess they did search for something online before the interview.

Interview Question – I think that one of the questions they asked was just have no answer. I seriously doubt the validity of the question.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

Interview Details – Don't waste your time. Works like a mafia. People without qualifications only hire people like them. The last thing they'll look at is your qualifications. You have to look and sound like them.

Interview Question – Be ready for unrelated questions or comments   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express in February 2013.

Interview Details – 3 rounds:
VP
2 other VPs
SVP
All done in 2 weeks. I came from inside so maybe easier.

Interview Question – Most difficult: how can you help me grow my business.
Otherwise background questions such as why this job, what did you do in previous role to prepare you for this.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little room to negotiate.