American Express Interview Questions in New York State

Updated Aug 2, 2015

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied for every marketing analyst position I could. Also if you get multiple interviews try not to tell each group your interviewing for other groups...be vague and don't tell recruiter or else they'll fix you with only one team when techinically their policy goes against that

Interview Questions

• Make sure to know how Amex makes money and their history...give good reasons for why Amex and tell the group their your first choice   Answer Question

Negotiation

I got offered 70k and negotiated to 75k... I wish I had negotiated to 80k ....I believe for marketing analyst they can technically go to 82k so definitely negotiate even if you told them you were fine with their initial offer ...esp if the group works longer hours than the 9 to 5 which some groups do!!!

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied on their careers site. A recruiter later contacted me about the role. We spoke about my resume and salary expectations. They later proceeded by scheduling interviews with 3 managers (for 30 minutes each).

Interview Questions

• They asked me a few behavioral questions based on my resume. But to much surprise, they asked a few unexpected questions like: how and where did you research AMEX for this interview? Other than that, the hiring manager went into detail about the group and role. Very new group without structure, processes, reporting metrics, nor a financial data system. Due to all of this, the position required lots of long hours at the office ongoing. Wouldnt have accepted even if an offer was made.   Answer Question
    • How does AMEX make its revenues?   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The process was consist of three rounds, each persons interviewed me on a 1:1 basis. Firm hand shake and formal attire. Interviewer asked a random series of questions. I had a chance to be interviewed by the hiring leader. Most time was taken by hiring leader. The process lasted about 30-40 minutes. Because I interviewed for an Executive Assistant position, the questions and interviewing process strictly surrounded the EA role. The hiring leader made me very comfortable, occasionally smiled and gave me time to think before answering any questions. It was told upfront that their were several candidates applied for the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe skill set and the range of knowledge., ie., intermediate, advance or expert.   1 Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

There are three interviews, each 30min. Most questions are behavioral, including previous experience, what would you do under certain conditions, etc. A few questions about the industry, company and the division you gonna work at. Definitely needs some research done beforehand.

Interview Questions

• If company A uses check to pay the supplier, and company B uses credit card, what would be the difference on their balance sheets?   Answer Question

Director - Marketing Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I skipped through the initial phone screen because my resume was forwarded internally to the Hiring Manager (I had applied previously to another AMEX position). The first on-site was with the Hiring Manager and two other Marketing leaders. It was fairly laid back with not too many technical questions. After that I was told that they'd like me to speak with two of the guys that I'd be managing (my direct reports for this role are remote). They mostly asked me about my experiences in the areas in which I'd be managing them. Finally, they asked me to come in a final time to speak with the EVP.

Interview Questions

• What are you doing to keep up your skills in the industry?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone screen + 3 rounds of in-person interviews. The questions are not highly technical. As a marketing analyst, you do not necessarily need to know the intricacies of each channel. The most important qualities they are looking for are TEAM work, being able to work cross-functionally, ability to receive and give feedback, and communication. Cultural fit is the more likely determinant of whether you get an offer than actual job related experience. Prepare for questions like, "tell me about a time you received poor feedback from your manager" or "tell me about a time you optimized a process", "why xyz department", "why xyz marketing", make sure you have a story and opinion crafted for standard behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself that isn't on your resume   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

4 Rounds in total- 1st phone with HR, 2nd phone with Hiring Manager, 3rd- in person with Hiring Manager then 4th with Hiring Manager and potential colleagues- make sure you are well versed in the company- do you research online about their products and what services they offer. Make sure to follow up with Thank you notes and feel free to reach out to HR over the process. Also come prepared with questions to ask regarding the role- they will allow plenty of time for this at the end and are looking for intelligent questions regarding the role.

Interview Questions

• Biggest Strengths, Describe a time when (STAR type questions), How do you overcome a tough situation with a client   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me through email and set up a time for phone interview. The next day she called me and the interview last for 20 minutes. She told me that she would tell the director of this group of my phone interview, and the director will decide whether he would like to meet me or not. The whole process took about ten business day.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position? Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Operational Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process was average. General questions we're asked. Questions related to previous job experience. As I was referred by an internal employee , thus was directly caled for personal interview and skipped initial levels like phone interview. Unfortunatly, the position was cancelled thus no offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and why should we hire you??   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via email to chat with the HR person on the phone. He asked a few typical interview questions as pre-screen. Then came in to the office and met with 4 different people on the team I would join.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had convince/influence a group of people, of which some were your superiors.   2 Answers