American Express Project Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

9 interviews

2.9

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Manager Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Came into the company as a contractor. No formal interview process was required. Hiring process takes too long, it is very slow to set everything up. Login IDs and harware took even longer. Very inept.

Negotiated with my contracting company.

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Project Manager Interview

Was informed of position thru networking. Three interviews. First and second interview were standard; part behavioral and technical. Third interview was with VP, which was more "meet & greet".

None

Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

The process took a day - interviewed at American Express in August 2011.

The interview process was a phone screening and then a panel interview with two other people. I think that my unwillingness to start right away was the downfall of my interview.

I do think that American Express is a great company and would like to have the ability to interview with them again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2011.

American Express outsourced external recruiting to a third-party. My interview process consisted of a phone screen, which was unscheduled. I didn't feel like she had enough technical knowledge about the position, skills and experience that she was looking for. My phone interview with the hiring manager and another manager was great. As a last step, I had an in-person interview, which was also a great experience.

Throughout the process, the recruiter repeatedly made admin/scheduling snafu, which should have been a red flag to me. Then, she tried to convince me to consider a more junior role for what she said to be "similar pay" (I found out later than the pay would have been much less and the benefit structure would have been anything but similar). The recruiter and another colleague of hers that I also interfaced with were very inconsistent in their communication (should have been another red flag). They both seemed equally confused when I asked them details about my benefits. I had to call a couple different numbers to find out about the 401k matching, bonus structure, and other benefits. Lastly, the recruiter flat out lied to me and said that my offer could not be raised any more due to it being somewhat in the higher end of the salary range for my band level. Later, I found out that my salary was in the lower end of the range. I would strongly suggest taking detailed notes throughout the process and to follow up with the hiring organization directly if you have questions.

Overall, the people at Amex itself seem to be very collaborative and competent. There's a great work-life balance. It seems to be a great company to work for if you are not concerned about banking top dollars but rather would like to explore different career options (lateral move is very encouraged), maintain an active life outside of work, and be happy at work.

Interview Questions
    American Express will ask you for specific dollar figure that you are looking for very early in the process. You should be prepared to provide a good estimate from your very first phone screen. You should ask very detailed questions about your compensation, benefits, position, and band level --- and take really good notes of this (record the conversation if you are having this conversation with the recruiter).

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brighton, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England (UK)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in May 2009.

1 competency based interview. Straight forward and friendly

Interview Questions
    • none - all were typical 'tell me about a time when ...'   Answer Question
    Very straightforward. Standard package and base salary was good

Project Manager Interview

The usual competency based (around 4) and bio questions.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4 months - interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

Recruitment Consultant phone discussion
    Conference call interview with two Project Management Directors
    Face to face interview with two VP's

Interview Questions
    • Discuss professional/skill weakness and explain how you manage around it.   View Answer
    Straightforward. Asked for expectation. Offered lower. Could have pushed as I knew company having worked for them before, but I was happy with returning to the company.

Project Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in September 2011.

Applied on-line through their website. Phone interview with the recruiter who called the next day to schedule the phone interview. One week later was called for face-to-face with 2 managers (hiring and support). They described in detail the skillsets they were looking for in the answers to their questions, then proceeded with the questions, some around describing projects generated on your own, what prompted you to begin them and what were the results. Others around difficult group situations encountered, what happened and how was it handled. Very thorough and professional.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about some projects you generated on your own. What prompted you to begin them? What were the results?   Answer Question
    • What were some projects or ideas (not necessarily your own) that were sold, implemented, or carried out successfully primarily because of your efforts?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in January 2008.

American Express either conducts interviews via 1:1 and phone primarily but occasionally the conduct group interviews. They are very focused on the competencies they post in the job listing (e.g. Drives Change). Most interviews will be competency based, meaning they will ask you to tell them about a time you demonstrated the competency in your previous employment.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to overcome adversity with a client.   Answer Question

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!