American Express Senior Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2014

2.9

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Express.

Quick and easy experience. I applied externally for an temp position and got it within the day. Probably because I'm technical and Amex couldn't find someone within niche who also "gets" their value system.

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express in February 2014.

I applied online and the recruiter contacted me after a week or so. I was scheduled for an onsite interview to meet the VP and Director. I wasn't comfortable with the interview with the VP right from the start. He never introduced his role, his team, where the position fit in the org chart. I answered all his questions but I was confused through out the process. Every time I asked him whether this is what the newly hired person would do, he responded by saying that they have a person for this. So, I was left very confused. The interview with the director was a little better off. I ensured I asked him more about the position, what they want, and where does the role fit in the overall scheme of things. The first interviewer never mentioned all this and asked me how I would contribute to the team.

Culture wise the company seems good. Laid back and not very demanding. It seemed that they treat their employees well

Interview Questions
    • The first question - how would you contribute to the position. As I didn't have a telephone interview and this was the first time I was speaking with the hiring leaders, I had no idea what they want, why are they hiring. The job description was very vague - a list of tasks that perhaps even an intern could perform   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

multiple interviews with everyone at the company apparently. endless interviews all asking the same thing. smart people but very antiquated hiring practices.

Interview Questions
    • they all ask the same thing 10 different ways "what was a time in which...blah blah blah"   Answer Question
    negotiate at leat 5k more than they offer...they are cheap

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Express in August 2013.

Competency based interviews - it is definitely helpful to have internal support in form of reference calls/emails after you have had initial interview. Helpful hint: set up informationals with business areas of interest on an ongoing basis - when a job opportunity becomes available, you are then top of mind.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in January 2013.

Initial contact with the recruiter is by email. This was followed by phone interviews and then face to face interviews. I interviewed with the hiring manager, 2 peers and the next level manager.
    I did not find anything out of the ordinary or particularly challenging but I guess it all depends on the hiring manager and role.

Interview Questions
    • Beware! This company uses hireright for background checks. Although I didn't have any issues, there's horror stories about them on-line.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in April 2012.

Coordinated with a recruiter for a phone screen. Was asked to come back to the office for 2 interviews with Directors. Was called back for a 3rd interview with the VP. Was offered a position through contact directly with the hiring manager. Was on boarded 2 weeks later.

No room for negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Express in November 2011.

I had one phone interview which was pretty standard fare. Then I was called in to see the hiring manager the following week. When I met her, it was on a floor with no other people on it, so the place looked abandoned. She was in a foul mood (whether that is normal or not I don't know) and she started off by opening her computer and typing an email to someone. I knew pretty quickly that we weren't going to be friends.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at American Express in September 2011.

Initial phone interview with recruiting deparment, second interview with 3 hiring managers, and final brief interview with Vice President.

Active negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in March 2011.

The process was long and involved. 5 interviews total: HR screening, hiring manager interview, interview by one of hiring manager's direct reports, interview with a subordinate, and a final HR screening. All were behavioral questions. I was not presented with a case and did not have to show any analytical skills.

Interview Questions
    • How do you get a senior leader to buy into your idea when they display resistance initially?   Answer Question
    Hiring leaders was not willing to negotiate salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Express in June 2010.

HR phone screen, hiring manager phone screen, 1:1 interviews with 5 directors and 3 VPs over two rounds (two separate days)

Interview Questions
    • Case Study on Financial impact of price changes   View Answer