American Express

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in April 2012.

Interview Details – Coordinated with a recruiter for a phone screen. Was asked to come back to the office for 2 interviews with Directors. Was called back for a 3rd interview with the VP. Was offered a position through contact directly with the hiring manager. Was on boarded 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – Case studies about the card business.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – multiple interviews with everyone at the company apparently. endless interviews all asking the same thing. smart people but very antiquated hiring practices.

Interview Question – they all ask the same thing 10 different ways "what was a time in which...blah blah blah"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiate at leat 5k more than they offer...they are cheap

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at American Express in September 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with recruiting deparment, second interview with 3 hiring managers, and final brief interview with Vice President.

Interview Question – Behavior questions focused on past experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Active negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at American Express in August 2013.

Interview Details – Competency based interviews - it is definitely helpful to have internal support in form of reference calls/emails after you have had initial interview. Helpful hint: set up informationals with business areas of interest on an ongoing basis - when a job opportunity becomes available, you are then top of mind.

Interview Question – What is your ideal job?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in January 2013.

Interview Details – Initial contact with the recruiter is by email. This was followed by phone interviews and then face to face interviews. I interviewed with the hiring manager, 2 peers and the next level manager.
I did not find anything out of the ordinary or particularly challenging but I guess it all depends on the hiring manager and role.

Interview Question – Beware! This company uses hireright for background checks. Although I didn't have any issues, there's horror stories about them on-line.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express in September 2009.

Interview Details – standard battery of interviews: one or two preliminary rounds, second-level interview with director, then with VP and/or business partner. Hiring decisions tend to be slow, so expect to wait for the results.

Interview Question – Design a strategy for optimizing the wait times at a theme park's rides and attractions.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 5 days - interviewed at American Express in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview which was pretty standard fare. Then I was called in to see the hiring manager the following week. When I met her, it was on a floor with no other people on it, so the place looked abandoned. She was in a foul mood (whether that is normal or not I don't know) and she started off by opening her computer and typing an email to someone. I knew pretty quickly that we weren't going to be friends.

Interview Question – Name 9 weaknesses you have.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Express in June 2010.

Interview Details – HR phone screen, hiring manager phone screen, 1:1 interviews with 5 directors and 3 VPs over two rounds (two separate days)

Interview Question – Case Study on Financial impact of price changes   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express in May 2010.

Interview Details – all contact was directly with the hiring manager, only heard from HR after I accepted the offer and needed to complete the drug test.
Had a phone interview first, then completed four 1:1 interviews over the course of 3 visits to the office.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – always negotiate. never accept the first offer - it makes it look like you settle.

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a senior manager role in analytics and the process took 8 weeks. I had telephone interview with hiring manager and was asked about the fundamentals of credit card industry - main drivers etc. I then had a couple of rounds of in-person interviews and the focus was more on behavioral questions

Interview Question – Situational questions on how to manage different people related issues   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Senior Manager interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.