American Express Senior Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

4 Rounds in total- 1st phone with HR, 2nd phone with Hiring Manager, 3rd- in person with Hiring Manager then 4th with Hiring Manager and potential colleagues- make sure you are well versed in the company- do you research online about their products and what services they offer. Make sure to follow up with Thank you notes and feel free to reach out to HR over the process. Also come prepared with questions to ask regarding the role- they will allow plenty of time for this at the end and are looking for intelligent questions regarding the role.

Interview Questions

• Biggest Strengths, Describe a time when (STAR type questions), How do you overcome a tough situation with a client   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at American Express.

Interview

Interview process was painful. It took four months to complete the process. Icing on the cake was the rejection call the day before Christmas. Totally class less.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions. Name a time when you saved an account, and so on...   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Express.

Interview

Quick and easy experience. I applied externally for an temp position and got it within the day. Probably because I'm technical and Amex couldn't find someone within niche who also "gets" their value system.

Interview Questions

• "What is your preferred salary?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online and the recruiter contacted me after a week or so. I was scheduled for an onsite interview to meet the VP and Director. I wasn't comfortable with the interview with the VP right from the start. He never introduced his role, his team, where the position fit in the org chart. I answered all his questions but I was confused through out the process. Every time I asked him whether this is what the newly hired person would do, he responded by saying that they have a person for this. So, I was left very confused. The interview with the director was a little better off. I ensured I asked him more about the position, what they want, and where does the role fit in the overall scheme of things. The first interviewer never mentioned all this and asked me how I would contribute to the team. Culture wise the company seems good. Laid back and not very demanding. It seemed that they treat their employees well

Interview Questions

• The first question - how would you contribute to the position. As I didn't have a telephone interview and this was the first time I was speaking with the hiring leaders, I had no idea what they want, why are they hiring. The job description was very vague - a list of tasks that perhaps even an intern could perform   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Interview

multiple interviews with everyone at the company apparently. endless interviews all asking the same thing. smart people but very antiquated hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• they all ask the same thing 10 different ways "what was a time in which...blah blah blah"   Answer Question

Negotiation

negotiate at leat 5k more than they offer...they are cheap

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

Competency based interviews - it is definitely helpful to have internal support in form of reference calls/emails after you have had initial interview. Helpful hint: set up informationals with business areas of interest on an ongoing basis - when a job opportunity becomes available, you are then top of mind.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Initial contact with the recruiter is by email. This was followed by phone interviews and then face to face interviews. I interviewed with the hiring manager, 2 peers and the next level manager. I did not find anything out of the ordinary or particularly challenging but I guess it all depends on the hiring manager and role.

Interview Questions

• Beware! This company uses hireright for background checks. Although I didn't have any issues, there's horror stories about them on-line.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

Coordinated with a recruiter for a phone screen. Was asked to come back to the office for 2 interviews with Directors. Was called back for a 3rd interview with the VP. Was offered a position through contact directly with the hiring manager. Was on boarded 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room for negotiation

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

I had one phone interview which was pretty standard fare. Then I was called in to see the hiring manager the following week. When I met her, it was on a floor with no other people on it, so the place looked abandoned. She was in a foul mood (whether that is normal or not I don't know) and she started off by opening her computer and typing an email to someone. I knew pretty quickly that we weren't going to be friends.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2011.

Interview

Initial phone interview with recruiting deparment, second interview with 3 hiring managers, and final brief interview with Vice President.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Active negotiation.