American Express

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in March 2011.

Interview Details – The process was long and involved. 5 interviews total: HR screening, hiring manager interview, interview by one of hiring manager's direct reports, interview with a subordinate, and a final HR screening. All were behavioral questions. I was not presented with a case and did not have to show any analytical skills.

Interview Question – How do you get a senior leader to buy into your idea when they display resistance initially?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hiring leaders was not willing to negotiate salary

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and the recruiter contacted me after a week or so. I was scheduled for an onsite interview to meet the VP and Director. I wasn't comfortable with the interview with the VP right from the start. He never introduced his role, his team, where the position fit in the org chart. I answered all his questions but I was confused through out the process. Every time I asked him whether this is what the newly hired person would do, he responded by saying that they have a person for this. So, I was left very confused. The interview with the director was a little better off. I ensured I asked him more about the position, what they want, and where does the role fit in the overall scheme of things. The first interviewer never mentioned all this and asked me how I would contribute to the team.

Culture wise the company seems good. Laid back and not very demanding. It seemed that they treat their employees well

Interview Question – The first question - how would you contribute to the position. As I didn't have a telephone interview and this was the first time I was speaking with the hiring leaders, I had no idea what they want, why are they hiring. The job description was very vague - a list of tasks that perhaps even an intern could perform   Answer Question

Senior Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Quick and easy experience. I applied externally for an temp position and got it within the day. Probably because I'm technical and Amex couldn't find someone within niche who also "gets" their value system.

Interview Question – "What is your preferred salary?"   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in April 2012.

Interview Details – Coordinated with a recruiter for a phone screen. Was asked to come back to the office for 2 interviews with Directors. Was called back for a 3rd interview with the VP. Was offered a position through contact directly with the hiring manager. Was on boarded 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – Case studies about the card business.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – multiple interviews with everyone at the company apparently. endless interviews all asking the same thing. smart people but very antiquated hiring practices.

Interview Question – they all ask the same thing 10 different ways "what was a time in which...blah blah blah"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiate at leat 5k more than they offer...they are cheap

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at American Express in September 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with recruiting deparment, second interview with 3 hiring managers, and final brief interview with Vice President.

Interview Question – Behavior questions focused on past experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Active negotiation.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at American Express in August 2013.

Interview Details – Competency based interviews - it is definitely helpful to have internal support in form of reference calls/emails after you have had initial interview. Helpful hint: set up informationals with business areas of interest on an ongoing basis - when a job opportunity becomes available, you are then top of mind.

Interview Question – What is your ideal job?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in January 2013.

Interview Details – Initial contact with the recruiter is by email. This was followed by phone interviews and then face to face interviews. I interviewed with the hiring manager, 2 peers and the next level manager.
I did not find anything out of the ordinary or particularly challenging but I guess it all depends on the hiring manager and role.

Interview Question – Beware! This company uses hireright for background checks. Although I didn't have any issues, there's horror stories about them on-line.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express in September 2009.

Interview Details – standard battery of interviews: one or two preliminary rounds, second-level interview with director, then with VP and/or business partner. Hiring decisions tend to be slow, so expect to wait for the results.

Interview Question – Design a strategy for optimizing the wait times at a theme park's rides and attractions.   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in October 2008.

Interview Details – During the interview process American Express is very focused on the requirements listed in the job posting. Be specific when your giving examples and try to use the wording that was in the posting.

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Senior Manager interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.