American Express

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at American Express in April 2009.

Interview Details – Four interviews in total, competency based questions. Mainly wanted to understand strengths in previous positions as they pertained to the job opening. Once interview process concluded, had two weeks to make a counter and accept.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to speak up for a colleague who was unable to do so.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I countered and was met half way.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at American Express in July 2010.

Interview Details – I had multiple rounds of interviews with over 10 people. It took over 3 months to get a decision. I was invited to other people's phone interviews by oversight and twice interviews got rescheduled within an hour of the agreed upon time.

Interview Question – Give me your top 10 weaknesses.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. I was told there was a runner up who would do the job for less money than I was offered and I had to decide.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interviews usually begin with an overview of my background (throwing in skills here and there that make me a good fit for the role). Then, the hiring leader usually asks some situational questions ( "tell me about a time when you..."). There is almost ALWAYS a question for 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. Somehow I always manage to flub this question anyway. Usually there's a question about how I might handle a specific scenario ("What would you do if the budget for a project you were working on was slashed but the forecast remained the same?") Always helps to discuss how I work with other teams because the company is very matrixed. I always come prepared with questions for the leader, even if I already know the answers from our informational interview.
Then, if I'm lucky, I get a 2nd round with the hiring leader's leader. The formality and intensity of these interviews can depend heavily on that leader's style. I have been asked to discuss the results of marketing campaigns - including numbers. I have also had to answer more situational questions. Again, come prepared with questions about the role/team.
Then, offers are made (or aren't).

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to get buy-in from a partner who was unwilling and what you did to get them on board.   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Marketing Interview

Senior Manager, Marketing
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in July 2011.

Interview Details – I have been through a few different interviews, so reading the mixed reviews, I would say completely that it varies on who's interviewing you as to describe how the whole experience went. I have had one person who went radio silent completely after an hour-long in-person interview. On the other hand, I had a deeply apologetic VP calling to explain how qualified I was and how he felt that I could definitely do the job, but they found a different candidate.

The phone screens are generally the easiest to get through -- recruiters call to ask generic questions. Just answer the questions with the job in mind and ensure your answers fit what they'd like to hear. The in-person interviews I've had are typically 1:1 first-round, and then group interview the next round.

The pace at which Amex works can be excruciatingly slow, and just when you think you've been weeded out, you'll get a call-back for a next-round interview.

Haven't gotten an offer here yet, sadly. I think a lot of it is that they look for people who fit the AXP culture -- overly enthusiastic, to the point of being fake, and passive-aggressive. I'm neither of those.

Interview Question – Why are you looking to move on from your current job?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Marketing Interview

Senior Manager Marketing
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

Interview Details – Behavioral Questions, phone screen interviews first then went into the office for multiple in-person interviews. I had three phone interviews then six in-person 1:1 interviews - they all had a script of questions to choose from. Everyone was really nice and its a great place to work, but the offer presented was just not competitive. Also the recruiting process is outsourced, it seems that AMEX went through a ton of layoffs these past few years and they now outsource their hiring/recruiting. My recruiter had never worked with the hiring manager or team and was unfamiliar with the interviewers. Also there seemed to be some miscommunication between the recruiter and hiring manger - the hiring manager would email me directly for interview times and I'd have to let the recruiter know when my interview was with certain people.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you disagreed with a colleague, what was the situation and how did you deal with it.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The package offer was not competitive with other offers.

Senior Manager, Marketing Interview

Senior Manager, Marketing
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Express in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was held in her supervisor's office. The job was not a permanent position - 18 month run. Interviewer even said that in 18 months, she may be looking for a job.

Advice: must have card experience and bring a case study of how you grew a piece of business in tremenous manner.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in July 2010.

Interview Details – I got an email from Director asking to schedule a 1:1. Had in-person interview and the person seemed very inexperienced in the subject? It was obvious I was being asked question not to demonstrate my knowledge and experience, but to gather information on the subject matter. Gave plenty of examples and demonstrations. The Director told me I should modify my resume to showcase specifics on my experience to be clearer and then she told me the job was a short term assignment. Wait, should have this been made clearer within the job posting or before the interview, I mean just to be clearer? Then I was told I was the third option as there were other two candidates with more credit card experience in the segments. Wait, thanks for the interview invitation but why you invite a third person if you already have the people you are looking for. This got even better; she said I was going to be kept into consideration for Manager roles that required less card experience which was the category I was falling under based on my lack of card experience. Later on, I found this person’s LinkedIn profile and noticed that she had no card experience previous to joining American Express as a Senior Manager. Why would they call people for interview if they already know they don’t have the experience? why would they tell them they require card experience while they didn’t have it themselves? Why would they ask questions to learn about the subject as opposed to test the candidate? Why wouldn’t they tell the candidate the Full-Time Permanent job they applied for is actually a Temporary assignment?

Interview Questions

New York, NY

The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Express in October 2008.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume via American Express' career page in July but did not even get a phone interview until September, with a 1:1 interview with in a week. While I felt good about the interview, the hiring manager and hr person never responded to any of my follow up messages.

Interview Question – .   View Answer

Senior Marketing Manager

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2011.

Interview Details – The process was quick as I was recommended by a previous boss/leader. Interview was conducted over the phone as I was overseas at that point in time. We ran through my resume and past experiences where certain skillsets were exhibited. Leadership and innovation were the two skillsets which I had to elaborate on.

Interview Question – Provide an example of an initiative/project which you exhibited leadership qualities.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They were unable to provide me with incentive bonus as part of my remuneration.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!