Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express
- Financial Analyst (34)
- Customer Care Professional (33)
- Software Engineer (23)
- HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional (22)
- Senior Manager (21)
- Analyst (20)
- Business Analyst (20)
- Marketing Analyst (19)
- Director (16)
- Customer Service Representative (14)
- Project Manager (12)
- Intern (12)
- Marketing (12)
- Travel Counselor (12)
- Customer Care Representative (11)
- Finance Manager (9)
- Team Leader (8)
- Marketing Manager (8)
- Manager (8)
- Senior Marketing Manager (7)
- Marketing Intern (6)
- Lead Technical Architect (5)
- Senior Software Engineer (5)
- Senior Analyst (5)
- Credit Analyst (5)
- Data Analyst (5)
- Business Systems Analyst (5)
- Technical Project Manager (4)
- Project Analyst (4)
- Manager - Risk Management (4)
Senior Software Engineer Interview
I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2015.
American Express has a unique interview process in that the first interview is conducted as an automated video conference. You receive an email with a link to the video conference web site. At the time of your choosing you click on the link to start the interview process. You can do this any time day or night. You must have a web cam and microphone in order to do this. You should pay attention to what the web cam will see, as well as the lighting and setup. You can see what the web cam sees. The interview questions are pre-arranged and consist of technical questions related to the position, which you answer by multiple choice or by typing, and general tell-me-about-yourself questions that you answer while being recorded by the web cam. Each question is timed. Your interview is stored and may be shared with other hiring managers.
- They asked various technical questions related to the position. IE, for a Java position they ask technical Java questions. Some were trivial while others were a bit challenging. The other questions were general things such as "Describe an obstacle you had to overcome and how you overcame it." Answer Question
Other Interview Reviews for American Express
Senior Software Engineer InterviewNo OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2013.
1. Contacted by recruiter for this position. Had an initial talk with Recruiter on phone. 2. Interview Coordinator emailed me about the technical interview on phone 3. Went thru technical interview and the interviewer said on spot that he will recommend me for further rounds 4. They called me for onsite interview at Phoenix, AZ 5. Recruiter told me that there can one round or two rounds based on interview panel. Later I figured that based on the performance in the first round, they will perform second round. If the first round do no go well, they will not waste time in second round. They might just skip it. 6. They sent me flight tickets and made arrangements for my travel from airport to AMEX campus. 7. Arrived at campus in time and interviewers arrived on time 8. First round: Cognitive Skills: Two interviewers came: They will ask you 2 questions. First one is an open ended question testing your thinking capability. Your thought process matters than the result for this question. Second one will be a project problem to be solved. They will give you a problem statement. You are expected to ask questions to understand their system and approach a solution. I did perform great (at least as per me) in this round. 9. Second Round: Behavioural & Resume Walk thru round:Another two interviewers came in and first two left: Based on your performance on first round, they will continue this round. They will ask you lot of questions on various situations. I observed that they will ask you regular expected behavioural questions in a twisted way. So, questions might sound new to you but they are all same expected questions. I think I did well in this interview too. They said I will get to know the results in 3-4 working days. Got email from AMEX in 4 days saying that I'm not selected for this position. I thought I did well in all rounds of interviews but may be I'm missing something which they were specifically looking for this role. Its hard to guess the reason for rejection when you performed good.
- Behavioural Round: It is really difficult to guess whether you performed good in this round as your answers might be interpreted in different ways by different interviewers. There are no perfect answers. Do your best and leave the rest to your luck. 2 Answers
Senior Software Engineer InterviewNo OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2011.
Recruiter contacted, Phone interview, In House interview.
- There was an analytical round, i was surprised to have open ended questions which seems little weird and the expectations to answer these questions in a certain way. I would recommend going over questions like How many balls a sedan car can fit ? How many ice-creams are sold in US?? Then there are questions on System problems just ask them to give proper design and proper problem statements before answering or giving any answers to the panel. But really weird process. 2 Answers
Senior Software Engineer InterviewNo OfferNeutral ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (Hyderābād (India)) in March 2012.
process is very simple , we will just make a call to you and you should respond to our call and you should give correct answers for the questions which we ask. thats all interview results will be said on the spot itself.
Senior Software Engineer InterviewDeclined OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express in February 2010.
the recruitment process started with an hour long ppt of amex. After that a written test was taken which comprised of aptitude questions. the level of questions were easy to medium. Ample time of around 2 min per question was given to solve the paper. After that a 1:1 interview was done, which consisted of general HR questions and puzzles. then a gd round was conducted among the shortlisted students and final offers were made.
- general questions were asked from resume Answer Question
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review