American Express

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in January 2014.

Interview Details – It was a 3 step process. 1. An initial screening over phone the which is very easy. Simple questions like what is the difference between Java and Javascript. 2. Next after 2-3 weeks they took a technical interview over the phone on topics like OOPs concept, multithreading, memory management etc. You will be asked to do the coding on screen share. 3. After 2 days I was called for an on-site interview. This had 2 rounds, one was behavioural round such as what would you want to be 5 years down the line, what are the qualities you look for in a leader etc. The next round consisted of an estimation question and a root cause analysis where you have find the solution by asking questions to the interviewer.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult. They are very helpful and will help you solve the problem.   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – gave me what I asked for

Very Easy Interview

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in October 2013.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview was very easy..he'll ask questions like, what is HTML? what is difference bet javascript and java..
2nd round: details abut java....small online coding question(share screen)...easy.
3rd rround: more details on java...same screen share type.
final on-site interview: Here is where things are weird..For Pete's sake, I am applying for software engineer position...so when you call us on-site I expect coding questions, whiteboarding, data structures. They DIDNT ask me a SINGLE coding question..all questions were behavioral. like "tell me about yourself", "what do your friends think of you" (i dont care :-P)

Interview Question – nothing was difficult. He did ask me questions like "how many balls can fit in a car"..and find a root-cause problem..   View Answers (4)

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Phase 1. Two 45 minute interviews, behavioral and situational type questions
Phase 2. Two 30 minute interviews, again behavioral but more specific

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you used your background in technology to successfully solve a problem?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Just be yourself. This company is looking for people that are social more than just good at their technology. The soft skill are extremely important.

New Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Express in August 2013.

Interview Details – American Express on-Campus took written round first which consisted of two sections namely quantitative and dbms(sql query) plus some subjective ques based on business situations.
Quant was very easy to solve and sql query was little complex.In Interview round,interviewer asked non-tech questions like from current affairs and some general questions like how does google searches query and how does our pc searches any file.He also asked about difference between linux and windows and to explain one project that i mentioned on my resume.

Interview Question – Interviewer asked me first who is Durga.At first i was like surprised what is talking about.Then i realized that he is asking from news as i have mentioned in my resume about watching news.Then i answered him about Durga.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.