American Express

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

I applied online and was contacted a few weeks later to schedule a phone interview. I went through two rounds of phone interviews with two engineers each time. I don't know if it is planned this way or not, but for both rounds of interviews the initial interview was with a really encouraging and motivational engineer and then followed up by a distant more serious individual. It kind of threw me off my game going from the "yeah I got this" to "where did I mess up" mindset, but in the end I had a great experience Interviewing with American Express. The engineers had more enthusiasm than other places I had interviewed with, and did not come across as brand ambassadors. They also answered questions candidly. I found a lot to respect.

Interview Questions
  • The questions ranged from simple to more difficult. They also included behavioral, technical, and brain teasers. Some examples, what is the difference between a process and a thread; The knapsack problem reduced; The traveling salesman problem reduced to a subset of cities; How would you design a food rating application?   Answer Question
I asked for more, but they wouldn't budge on the offer.

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

I can't disclose the questions since I signed a contract but they will focus in your communication skills and confidence of your answer more than the technical aspect so prepare to be questioned about anything you answer, if you say this algorithm is better you need to support the reason with a lot of confidence, don't hesitate and don't use words like "I think", "perhaps", etc.

It took them 3 weeks just to reply to the online application and another 2 weeks to schedule the phone interview

Interview Questions
    • There were not difficult questions, I was hesitant and was not able to communicate clearly about an architecture concept   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Express.

Submitted my resume to a database for a conference I was attending. Contacted by a recruiter to feel out my interest. Was then contacted again before the conference and asked to set up an interview. Interview at conference lasted one hour. Interviewed by a software architect and a tech lead. Asked a few behavioral questions then went into a "technical" interview. Was given code to review and debug, asked a problem solving/logic question, asked to write a MySQL query, a few other questions that I cannot recall anymore. The last part of the interview was about past experience/projects.

*Note: I was finishing my undergrad and interviewing for a entry level position

Interview Questions
    • What design patterns are you familiar with, explain them.   Answer Question
    No need to negotiate, was offered significantly more than I expected.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express.

Started at the career fair, Then had an on campus interview. This was half behavioral and half technical. After this you get moved onto a phone interview round. This round is also half behavioral and half technical, though the technical questions become more abstract. Overall, not too bad, the people that recruited me seemed to have freedom to move around in the company and to advance, so it seems that the company is structured nicely.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about setting up a mobile application to tell the user when he/she is in range of a food place he/she likes?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express.

The questions asked in the technical tests were very algorithm-focused and also covered a lot of tricky corners cases in the syntactical details of the Java programming language. I was surprised the interview process took so long - it was just over 2 months from start to finish before I finally got an offer. In between I had 5 phone interviews, 6 on-site technical interviews, a drug test, a full background screening from an independent company and a personality test conducted by 4 of the senior project managers. Towards the end I was getting tired of the process and was tempted to let go of the position but the position was very convenient for me because it was such a short commute - unfortunately I ended up moving later because of external circumstances, but that's beside the point - it was a really long process - they certainly left no stone unturned.

Interview Questions
    • Plot a 10x10 matrix and, without using any additional Java library functions or built-in data structures, rotate the matrix by 90 degrees.   Answer Question
    There was next to no room for negotiation. I tried to get the salary increased but they said there was no room for movement.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Met at career fair, had interview two 45 minute interviews on campus. Next round was on-site the following week, two interviews. The format of all the interviews were the same - a mix of behavioral/situational questions followed by some technical questions, most of which did not require writing code down. Interviewers were very friendly and supportive.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you creatively used your technology background to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    • You are making a food recommendation app - what would yours look like   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in October 2014.

Met with AMEX at a college career fair and had a great first impression. Everyone seemed really passionate and enthusiastic about the company. The process took about 2 weeks to get an interview from the career fair. People kept telling me that I would not need any technical skills for the job or interview and that they would teach me on the job.

The interview was suicide for a person who hasn't taken high level math and Java courses. Asked me to write code, solve math problems, and problem solve for various situations. There were behavioral questions, but mostly technical. Interviewers were very friendly and encouraging and I heard back from the interview 9 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Write the code for a program to find the maximum value and a value greater than or equal to the minimum value.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express in October 2014.

I had an interview during a conference in October. I was given 2 hours notice from handing my resume over to having a 2:1 interview. I interviewed with a software engineer and an HR rep. The interview consisted of behavioral and technical questions and had a laid-back feel. The technical questions revolved around basic data structures and algorithms similar to what you would see in a Data Structures or Design and Analysis of Algorithms class. I also had to write a simple MySQL query on a given relation. Additionally, I looked at simple classes in Java and located/described bugs. I talked myself through each step out loud and asked questions as I had them. I was given scratch paper, which they kept for analysis. I wrote down as much as I could and did my best to explain all of my decisions. I also showcased my other talents outside of programming to show myself as a well-rounded candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Locate the middle node in a single-linked list with one pass through the data.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you came up with a creative solution to an issue (computing on non-computing).   View Answer
    I was offered much more than expected as an entry-level employee. Amex provides relocation packages and sign-on bonuses to sweeten the deal.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Express in March 2014.

Applied on the website after visiting their booth at my university's career fair, and I was invited to an interview on campus the following week. The interview consisted of two separate 45-minute sessions, each with one person asking behavioral questions, and both were relatively friendly and engaging. I was later invited to their "super day" for a second round of interviews, which narrowed down to about 20 students. This included a tour around their campus and again two separate interview sessions. One of the interviewers also included his own technical questions not on the packet they were given, while the other stuck to the standard behavioral questions, some of which were repeats of the questions from the first round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in January 2014.

It was a 3 step process. 1. An initial screening over phone the which is very easy. Simple questions like what is the difference between Java and Javascript. 2. Next after 2-3 weeks they took a technical interview over the phone on topics like OOPs concept, multithreading, memory management etc. You will be asked to do the coding on screen share. 3. After 2 days I was called for an on-site interview. This had 2 rounds, one was behavioural round such as what would you want to be 5 years down the line, what are the qualities you look for in a leader etc. The next round consisted of an estimation question and a root cause analysis where you have find the solution by asking questions to the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult. They are very helpful and will help you solve the problem.   View Answers (4)
    gave me what I asked for