American Express Software Engineer Interview Questions

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tempe, AZ
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Express in March 2014.

Applied on the website after visiting their booth at my university's career fair, and I was invited to an interview on campus the following week. The interview consisted of two separate 45-minute sessions, each with one person asking behavioral questions, and both were relatively friendly and engaging. I was later invited to their "super day" for a second round of interviews, which narrowed down to about 20 students. This included a tour around their campus and again two separate interview sessions. One of the interviewers also included his own technical questions not on the packet they were given, while the other stuck to the standard behavioral questions, some of which were repeats of the questions from the first round.

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in January 2014.

It was a 3 step process. 1. An initial screening over phone the which is very easy. Simple questions like what is the difference between Java and Javascript. 2. Next after 2-3 weeks they took a technical interview over the phone on topics like OOPs concept, multithreading, memory management etc. You will be asked to do the coding on screen share. 3. After 2 days I was called for an on-site interview. This had 2 rounds, one was behavioural round such as what would you want to be 5 years down the line, what are the qualities you look for in a leader etc. The next round consisted of an estimation question and a root cause analysis where you have find the solution by asking questions to the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult. They are very helpful and will help you solve the problem.   View Answers (4)
    gave me what I asked for

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in October 2013.

Initial phone interview was very easy..he'll ask questions like, what is HTML? what is difference bet javascript and java..
    2nd round: details abut java....small online coding question(share screen)...easy.
    3rd rround: more details on java...same screen share type.
    final on-site interview: Here is where things are weird..For Pete's sake, I am applying for software engineer position...so when you call us on-site I expect coding questions, whiteboarding, data structures. They DIDNT ask me a SINGLE coding question..all questions were behavioral. like "tell me about yourself", "what do your friends think of you" (i dont care :-P)

Interview Questions
    • nothing was difficult. He did ask me questions like "how many balls can fit in a car"..and find a root-cause problem..   View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Phase 1. Two 45 minute interviews, behavioral and situational type questions
    Phase 2. Two 30 minute interviews, again behavioral but more specific

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you used your background in technology to successfully solve a problem?   Answer Question

Just be yourself. This company is looking for people that are social more than just good at their technology. The soft skill are extremely important.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Express in August 2013.

American Express on-Campus took written round first which consisted of two sections namely quantitative and dbms(sql query) plus some subjective ques based on business situations.
    Quant was very easy to solve and sql query was little complex.In Interview round,interviewer asked non-tech questions like from current affairs and some general questions like how does google searches query and how does our pc searches any file.He also asked about difference between linux and windows and to explain one project that i mentioned on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked me first who is Durga.At first i was like surprised what is talking about.Then i realized that he is asking from news as i have mentioned in my resume about watching news.Then i answered him about Durga.   Answer Question

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!