American Express Travel Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Dec 29, 2014

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

The process is so long! It started mid November and just now they sent me a general email saying I wasn't selected. I didn't hear back for almost 1 month. The interviewer talked mostly about himself and how great and amazing he was. They are also very unorganized. They sent me an email to say the second interview was a phone interview, then send another email to say it would be an in-office interview. All BS.

Interview Questions

• No difficult question. All of their questions are give me an example of when...   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Travel Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express in November 2014.

Interview

The initial interview was very informative, asking the normal questions and going over the job description. The next interview was done via the phone as this was a virtual job opening. The second interview was about forty five minutes in length and the questions ask were STAR based which consisted of 4 questions. However, to break the ice the hiring manager ask the typical tell me about yourself...please be prepared and research the company values etc. it helps with the flow of the questions. Overall the interview was a good one because it allows you to use your past experiences to answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had a deadline and you had to find a way to multi task to get the job done effectively and efficiently meeting all company policy and criteria.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation the job paid well above the minimum.

Travel Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express in July 2014.

Interview

Initial interview process requires you to take tests. Travel knowledge test require you to know how to use some of their systems. I think if you have fairly basic knowledge about travel agency systems, it's easy. Personality test is strait forward about preferences and why you want the job. No "wrong" answer. ;)

Interview Questions

• Random personality test questions, then they repeat the question again later.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Express (San Antonio, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

Filled out the online application. Got a call from a recruiter after a couple of days who asked standard interview questions. It was generally laid back. She called a couple days for a second phone interview. Went fine. She asked a few geography questions. I was out of state so I don't know if others did one on ones.

Interview Questions

• I honestly don't remember any of them except the standard "why did you apply for this job?" blah blah   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2010.

Interview

After applying online and passing the initial personality test, you will be called by a person to do a chat and set up an interview. The chat is very basic. The interview will be in the office in SLC by two team leaders. They hire based on personality. They want to hear travel experience work related and personal as well as a friendly upbeat personality. They rarely hire people that are not call center related as this is a call center more than a "travel agency"

Interview Questions

• When have you been able to change a customers opinion of their experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate but I should have. I had the most experience of the training class at 12 years but was paid the least at 34k per year. Go in with a number.

Travel Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

Interview

I applied online for American Express's travel counselor position. I didn't receive a call until several weeks later.I interviewed on site, at their call center. The interview process was a generic one.

Travel Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in December 2011.

Interview

very strong preference to employee referrals grilling round of interviews starting from telephonic ; to HR followed by a job relevant test , next stage is an senior operations manager followed by a team leader at times even with the process director

Interview Questions

• none as I was from travel background of 6 years and answered all technical question   Answer Question

Negotiation

not much as they have a maximum range of 45000 per month for the position followed by incentives quarterly

Travel Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in July 2009.

Interview

I was approached as a previous employee of the company so the process was fairly simple. Online personality test, in office skills test including typing and travel knowledge questions then face to face interiew. Be prepared for situational questions - explain a time when you went above and beyond using STAR system (Situation Task Action Result), make sure you have a contact for interviewer and follow up.
    Once offered a position you will go through an orientation and any training you need.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were in charge of a project which didn't go as expected.   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time when you went above and beyond and the result.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Don't just accept the amount offered, try to negotiate as there is a range for each position and # years experience.