American Express

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

Interview Details – After applying online and passing the initial personality test, you will be called by a person to do a chat and set up an interview. The chat is very basic. The interview will be in the office in SLC by two team leaders. They hire based on personality. They want to hear travel experience work related and personal as well as a friendly upbeat personality. They rarely hire people that are not call center related as this is a call center more than a "travel agency"

Interview Question – When have you been able to change a customers opinion of their experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate but I should have. I had the most experience of the training class at 12 years but was paid the least at 34k per year. Go in with a number.

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at American Express in March 2011.

Interview Details – Filled out the online application. Got a call from a recruiter after a couple of days who asked standard interview questions. It was generally laid back. She called a couple days for a second phone interview. Went fine. She asked a few geography questions. I was out of state so I don't know if others did one on ones.

Interview Question – I honestly don't remember any of them except the standard "why did you apply for this job?" blah blah   Answer Question

Travel Counselor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in July 2009.

Interview Details – I was approached as a previous employee of the company so the process was fairly simple. Online personality test, in office skills test including typing and travel knowledge questions then face to face interiew. Be prepared for situational questions - explain a time when you went above and beyond using STAR system (Situation Task Action Result), make sure you have a contact for interviewer and follow up.
Once offered a position you will go through an orientation and any training you need.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were in charge of a project which didn't go as expected.   Answer Question
  • Tell about a time when you went above and beyond and the result.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Don't just accept the amount offered, try to negotiate as there is a range for each position and # years experience.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!