American Express Travel Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

Very lengthy and really bad company too investigate you. Had 2 people calling and doubling up on questions. The right hand did not know what the left hand was doing!

Interview Questions

• An example of going above and beyond in work   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation just offered entry salary. Interview was great, as was by actual employees, who were nice and asked relevant questions. Online testing was ridiculous!

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Express (Dearborn, MI).

Interview

In person, with situational questions. The interviewer was very kind and put me at ease. She was willing to repeat questions if needed and seemed present during the process. I was given a tour of the offices and felt very comfortable being myself and being understood and respected.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a client who calls and is upset with you over something you did not do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online last week, then I was invited to a virtual interview, the following day. Then the next day, I was contacted by a recruited for a phone interview. I didn't pass the phone interview, because I don't remember very much about Sabre Native GDS. My agency stopped using Sabre years ago. However if you are currently with Sabre Native GDS system, you should be fine. I will take the initiative to sharpen my skills on Sabre Native and give it another try next time.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me the fare code for a flight from Seattle to Phoenix on September 22nd?   1 Answer
    • How do you usually book international air?   1 Answer
    • An offer of employment will be contingent on you having a dedicated home office space with all work equipment meeting our standards. Will you be able to meet this requirement?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

The process is so long! It started mid November and just now they sent me a general email saying I wasn't selected. I didn't hear back for almost 1 month. The interviewer talked mostly about himself and how great and amazing he was. They are also very unorganized. They sent me an email to say the second interview was a phone interview, then send another email to say it would be an in-office interview. All BS.

Interview Questions

• No difficult question. All of their questions are give me an example of when...   Answer Question

Travel Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in November 2014.

Interview

The initial interview was very informative, asking the normal questions and going over the job description. The next interview was done via the phone as this was a virtual job opening. The second interview was about forty five minutes in length and the questions ask were STAR based which consisted of 4 questions. However, to break the ice the hiring manager ask the typical tell me about yourself...please be prepared and research the company values etc. it helps with the flow of the questions. Overall the interview was a good one because it allows you to use your past experiences to answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had a deadline and you had to find a way to multi task to get the job done effectively and efficiently meeting all company policy and criteria.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation the job paid well above the minimum.

Travel Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in July 2014.

Interview

Initial interview process requires you to take tests. Travel knowledge test require you to know how to use some of their systems. I think if you have fairly basic knowledge about travel agency systems, it's easy. Personality test is strait forward about preferences and why you want the job. No "wrong" answer. ;)

Interview Questions

• Random personality test questions, then they repeat the question again later.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Express (San Antonio, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

Filled out the online application. Got a call from a recruiter after a couple of days who asked standard interview questions. It was generally laid back. She called a couple days for a second phone interview. Went fine. She asked a few geography questions. I was out of state so I don't know if others did one on ones.

Interview Questions

• I honestly don't remember any of them except the standard "why did you apply for this job?" blah blah   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2010.

Interview

After applying online and passing the initial personality test, you will be called by a person to do a chat and set up an interview. The chat is very basic. The interview will be in the office in SLC by two team leaders. They hire based on personality. They want to hear travel experience work related and personal as well as a friendly upbeat personality. They rarely hire people that are not call center related as this is a call center more than a "travel agency"

Interview Questions

• When have you been able to change a customers opinion of their experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate but I should have. I had the most experience of the training class at 12 years but was paid the least at 34k per year. Go in with a number.

Travel Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

Interview

I applied online for American Express's travel counselor position. I didn't receive a call until several weeks later.I interviewed on site, at their call center. The interview process was a generic one.

Travel Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Express (Barcelona (Spain)) in May 2015.

Interview

Process and interview were quite fast. 1 interview and i received the offer letter the day after. Really relaxed and good atmosphere in the office. Interviewer mentioned that they like to make sure the staff are happy. Good benefits working for the company, although the salary is a little on the low side. Good prospect of growth within in the company too.

Interview Questions

• Scenarios on how to deal with situations, relevant questions about previous positions.   1 Answer