American Express

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vice President
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at American Express in April 2011.

Interview Details – Seven total interviews starting with division HR, then hiring manager. In my case I met with key business partners - that doesn't always happen, but usually. Very helpful to get an idea of the working environment.

HR interviews focused on process and ability to work in a matrix organization - lasted only a half hour. All other interviews lasted about an hour. Questions focused on thoughts and any experience with the products being interviewed for. Very important to have first hand experience.

Interview Question – I didn't find the questions difficult or surprising. Being prepared is the key.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not very flexible. Most of the details are consistent to the level and have no flexibility. Some wiggle room on base but that's it. I was able to go from $180k offer to $200k - after the fact I believe I could have gotten maybe another $5-$10k more.

New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in September 2011.

Interview Details – The Company most often has internal candidates identified for positions, even when the incumbent is still in the job. Amex works very hard to ensure appropriate diversity at all job levels... which is a nice way of saying that you're favored if you are in a group that helps achieve diversity goals. They conduct many interviews with non-diverse candidates to show that they interviewed a diverse slate of candidates... which is pretty obvious when you get a non-descript, non-challenging interview. Caveat emptor.

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume (this is difficult because it shows they didn't care enough to prep for the discussion. You get follow up comments like "Oh, I didn't realize you had experience with x"... which is obnoxious when it's clearly laid out on your resume.)   Answer Question

Vice President
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at American Express in March 2011.

Interview Details – Internal recruiter prequalified me based on experience and arranged a phone interview with a hiring manager.

Interview Question – What were examples of obstacles you've overcome in the past?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Vice President interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.