American Express Vice President Interview Questions & Reviews

2.3

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at American Express in April 2011.

Seven total interviews starting with division HR, then hiring manager. In my case I met with key business partners - that doesn't always happen, but usually. Very helpful to get an idea of the working environment.

HR interviews focused on process and ability to work in a matrix organization - lasted only a half hour. All other interviews lasted about an hour. Questions focused on thoughts and any experience with the products being interviewed for. Very important to have first hand experience.

Interview Questions
  • I didn't find the questions difficult or surprising. Being prepared is the key.   Answer Question
Not very flexible. Most of the details are consistent to the level and have no flexibility. Some wiggle room on base but that's it. I was able to go from $180k offer to $200k - after the fact I believe I could have gotten maybe another $5-$10k more.

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in September 2011.

The Company most often has internal candidates identified for positions, even when the incumbent is still in the job. Amex works very hard to ensure appropriate diversity at all job levels... which is a nice way of saying that you're favored if you are in a group that helps achieve diversity goals. They conduct many interviews with non-diverse candidates to show that they interviewed a diverse slate of candidates... which is pretty obvious when you get a non-descript, non-challenging interview. Caveat emptor.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume (this is difficult because it shows they didn't care enough to prep for the discussion. You get follow up comments like "Oh, I didn't realize you had experience with x"... which is obnoxious when it's clearly laid out on your resume.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at American Express in March 2011.

Internal recruiter prequalified me based on experience and arranged a phone interview with a hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • What were examples of obstacles you've overcome in the past?   Answer Question

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!