American Family Insurance

American Family Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Jan 12, 2015
Updated Jan 12, 2015

Agent In Training Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Family Insurance.

Spoke on the phone to a woman from the corporate office. After she told me more about the job I decided I didn't want to jump in to being an agent. Then I got a call from a local agent asking me if I would like to assist.

Interview Questions
    Easy, just ask for what you want. We went back and forth but came to a happy agreement

Planning and Process Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Family Insurance in January 2015.

Applied online through AMFAM website. Received phone interview request after about two weeks. Interviewer was kind and cordial; though the questions asked were mediocre. The questions were extremely generic,"Can you tell me about a time when you had difficulty or a disagreement with a coworker, what happened, how did you handle it and what did you learn?" Etc. Those sorts of questions - they were so lacking in depth that they did not ask any pertinent questions to the role. I had to volunteer information on my own. The salary range was also odd, around $50,000 - $84,000.

AMFAM, please get more detailed job specific questions for your interviewees can demonstrate their skills and achievements.

It was just an overall disappointing experience.

Interview Questions
    • Too generic, behavioral based; also "what would you do if"... not a good way to gather someone's skills,   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Seems most of the time they know who they want. They put employees through the interview process when they have already made their decision. It is very discouraging for employees to just go through a process.

Operations Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Family Insurance.

I was contacted by Mickey Willard by phone for an in-person interview. I took a typing test, then proceeded to a conference room with her for the interview. She said she wanted to schedule another interview with me and the department supervisor. A few weeks later she called and we set that up. I met with that woman (I don't remember her name) and was asked essentially the same questions. About two weeks later I received a call from Mickey informing me that the job went to a former employee. The office was beautiful, it is still being renovated. I was required to wear a security badge. All the staff I met were very pleasant.

Applications Technology Engineering Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Family Insurance.

The interview took place on Campus. I was interviewed by two individuals from the company in a group interview type setting. One was from Human Resources and the other was from the department where I would be working if hired. I also had to participate in two skills test sessions.

Interview Questions
    • I had some technical questions such as providing details on object oriented programming   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate. The salary amount was preset.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online – interviewed at American Family Insurance.

No phone interview, called by HR woman to come in for a face to face. I arrived and she kept me waiting for 10 minutes, was extremely rude and disrespectful, ripped apart my resume, belittled my education/experience and was extremely abrasive. I emailed her when I got home and said I was no longer interested.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about gaps in employment, where I went to high school, how old I was, why I didnt work in college and insinuated that I couldn't balance school and work.   View Answer

Attorney Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Family Insurance.

Interviewed twice phone and then One on one. Interviewer slipped up and did not even know that I was in possession of the correct licensing. it was very relaxed. I think they use a 5 point scale.

Pricing Strategist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Family Insurance.

Applied online and was contacted within 5 days for a phone screen. The interviewer had in depth behavioral questions. I was told they are looking to move quickly on the position and a day later I was scheduled for an on site interview. I drove an hour and a half only to be asked 3 competency questions. It wasnt the interviewer's fault as the packet was assembled by HR. However, the interviewer was incredibly disinterested and didn't read my resume before hand. I was also told they had several candidates yet to be interviewed so give them a week or more.

The next day early morning I received an email saying I was jot selected. The recruiter I went through received the feedback that they were not filling the position. With several re-orgs in the past few years I think AmFam is having a hard time getting their act together. In any case the whole process was unprofessional and left me with a distaste for the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to choose between multiple options, your thought process, and the outcome of your choice.   Answer Question

Internal Audit Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Family Insurance in July 2014.

Internal recruiter called within 3 days to set up phone screen (1 hr). Standard information about why position was open, asked a few behavioral / situational questions linking core values to the company. Met with hiring manager the next day, very straight forward process of similar behavioral questions (1.5 hr)

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or difficult, similar experience to others who have written reviews on Glassdoor - situational questions where they expect STAR responses. Your standard strength/weakness type questions, difficult situation/stakeholder, motivating/leading people, learning from a mistake.   Answer Question
    • Be prepared with assessing your responses to the typical behavioral/STAR question and answer format; both recruiter and hiring manager worked through a set list of questions.   Answer Question

Data Analysis Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Family Insurance in July 2014.

Referred by headhunter. Process through AmFam recruiter went very smoothly and swiftly. Surprised by bombardment of benefits literature. Telephone interview with hiring manager was set up.

Hiring manager had atrocious English. He was nearly impossible to understand on the phone, and did not answer my questions. I do not think he was so much evasive, more failed to comprehend. When I asked about best in class data users at competitors, he answered yes. I thought oh no!

The language barrier made the interview difficult.

Interview Questions
    • What would I say to CFO in 30 seconds? Hiring manager was seeking cookie-cutter response.   View Answer