American Girl Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2015

2.5

SALES CLERK Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Girl.

Interview

A Sales manager or the HR manager will conduct the interview and determine the right fit. There are positions for Stock, Sales, Bistro, Security, Hair Salon, and Visual. All departments require people to be friendly and team players, since the work environment involves constant interpersonal communication.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time where you didn't get along with one of your co-workers   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pay is set. Must have weekend availability.

Visual Merchandising Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Girl (Bloomington, MN) in December 2014.

Interview

Arrive at the store, and then you wait for a manager. When you meet the manager you go to a back office. They ask you about yourself and then start with routine questions. They mainly asked questions based off of company beliefs and values. Mainly situational and they ask for specific examples from past experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you suggested a new rule or procedure and how was it implemented?   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Girl (Middleton, WI).

Interview

With the quick response from online application and smooth phone interview process I was very excited to see how Mattel dba American Girl functioned. I was sorely disappointed. It's a cubicle culture full of some decent people, but full of poor management and hence fear. Fear of new ideas, new talent, and those that might shake up that order. The general aggression and flagrant sexism I encountered proved disheartening. I've reported them, be aware that as a man I was attacked several times in questioning by managers claiming I couldn't possibly understand the needs of women or girls. These are the invested people, 10+ years of doing the same job, they have a vested stake in seeing the culture doesn't change. It could be a lovely place.

Interview Questions

• What makes girls different from boys?   1 Answer

I refuse to work under such people and will not subject myself to the emasculating sexism I encountered there, let alone on a daily basis.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Girl (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

Assistant manager interviewed me and was super nice. When they called me back the next day, I filled out paperwork with the HR manager and was hired. Overall, there were very few questions, but I was also originally hired seasonally. After the busy season was over, I was hired as a permanent employee.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an upset customer?   1 Answer

Sales Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Girl (Tysons Corner, VA).

Interview

I found the ad for a Sales Lead on Craigslist. I had to follow up a few times before I got a response. When I did, the HR person was pretty unprofessional. Literally, the reply was "r U sure U want this job?? It is hourly?? No signature - nothing. I suppose that was a clue to the professionalism of the store. Anyway, went to the first interview with the Assistant Store Manager, and of the three people I met, she seemed the nicest. Next was the manager, and she didn't seem to be at all familiar with my resume, or with American Girl for that matter. The third interview was with who would become my supervisor, and first, she was 20 minutes late, without informing me or apologizing, then she spent the interview ranting about how it was a "toxic" work environment because what the company says and what it does are two different things, and her main complaint? They made it so difficult to fire people. I asked about their training and discipline process, and she literally gave me a blank stare. Apparently there is only hiring and firing in their world. It was a sad experience.

Interview Questions

• What was unexpected was not any particular question, but how disorganized and strangely hostile towards employees the interviewer(s) seemed. There is a problem employee in almost every workplace, but if you think all your employees need to be fired, you are probably the problem, not them. The third interviewer in particular seemed to have no awareness of how she was coming across, or that an interview isn't just about the employer selecting an employee, but also vice versa. I expected more from what I would consider a more 'upscale' or sophisticated company.   Answer Question

It seemed like a somewhat disorganized, drama-filled environment. I may have misjudged, but didn't want to risk finding out.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Interview

walk in. basic retail interview. what is your experience? do you like working with children? past diffuculties in other jobs etc. its pretty straight forward just review on other websites what to expect

Interview Questions

• who do you interact with parent or child on the sales floor?   1 Answer

Negotiation

seasonal 9.50 when you make core its 9.90

Loss Prevention Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Girl (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I found an online job posting, all I had to do was call on either of the two specific dates that was on the job description. So I did. After the (some what of a phone interview) I was asked to come in two days for a 1:1 interview.

The interview was about twenty people in a room and we had to complete a job application hand it in. And one by one we were called to meet with our specific job position manager. Example I met with the lp manager and he was pretty cool and nice. He liked how I answer his questions and gave me an offer.

Lastly, All I will say is be genuine, and try to have a childlike personality who means business but ready to have fun. Remember this jobs deals with being surrounded by children.

Interview Questions

• If you overheard an employee talking about his financial problems, than later during his lunch breaks he steals a sandwich without paying what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Girl (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

During my interview for a customer service role - it was very friendly as the staff at American Girl is very friendly. For the most part, I was asked general questions regarding how to handle situations, returns, issues with purchases and working with high profile clientele.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation with an irate customer?   Answer Question

Sales Department Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Girl (Honolulu, HI) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for the new Honolulu store through the Mattel website. I got a call back 2 business days later and was asked to come to an open interview session. I showed up at their temporary business office since the physical store isn't ready yet, and there were about 5 other women filling out applications. Even though they had my resume, I still had to fill out a long paper application. The future Honolulu store manager did most of the interviews. Really, she didn't ask me too many questions. She looked at my resume, confirmed my experience, asked about my goals, and then we talked story about the company. She liked my cheerful personality and genuine interest in working with children, and I was hired on the spot an filled out new hire paperwork right away.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Hostess Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Girl.

Interview

Interview process was simple, got hired on the spot. All you have to do is appear outgoing and eager and they will like you. And you also have to show that you have a lot of confidence.

Negotiation

No negotiation.