American Greetings

Updated Nov 9, 2014

2.8

Design Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Greetings.

Conducted a quick phone interview followed up by a one on one interview with HR and hiring manager. Follow up interview with future colleagues. Received offer from HR about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • The question was what the biggest challenge or success you have had at a previous job and how did you accomplish that.   Answer Question
    Relatively easy, used previous compensation as starting point.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Contacted for a phone interview more than 6 months after applying for the position. The interview started off with the typical question "Why are you looking for a new job?". I was asked for my duties at my current job, my Excel and Access levels of expertise and if there was an opportunity for advancement at my current job. As others have pointed out they do ask about your strengths. I was quite surprised to hear that the recruiter who has been with the company for a very long time learnt about the private takeover offer from the Internet. I felt like the recruiter was annoyed by the questions I asked. Logically that was the end of the process.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied online – interviewed at American Greetings in June 2012.

I was called in for an interview with two employees that had the same job that I was applying for. Interview was brief, they allowed me to ask any questions I had reguarding the position. Took over two months before I got an email saying I was not selected for the job, by that time I already had accepted an offer somewhere else anyhow.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just asked how my prior experience would help me in that position.   Answer Question

Information Services Division Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Greetings in March 2012.

I had a series of 1:1 interviews (4 total) over 2 weeks. I had been a contractor at American Greetings for a while before so it was easy to schedule interviews/meetings since I already knew everyone's schedules. Technically I was on a 2-year interview so the formal interview process might have been easier for me than others.

The most important thing I found was to be completely straight-forward and honest about whatever they ask you. Many of the managers really value an upfront, straight shooter, so that was the best match for me.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a member of your team that constantly skirted established procedures to get something done, what would you do?   Answer Question
    Do your research, but I doubt it will help much. I did my research (salary.com is an awesome resource) and still received a low-ball offer. I was able to negotiate it up a bit, but not in the ballpark of the industry avg for the Cleveland area. In the end I accepted because of the other benefits at AG: 3 weeks vacation (if you have 6+ yrs exp), 401k w/ company match, health/vision/dental (not great but hey, what is these days), unlimited sick days, 10 paid holidays for a total of 5 weeks PTO each year, onsite starbucks, onsite card shop w/ 50% discount, a pretty decent and decently priced cafeteria, flexible schedule, and an overall relaxed atmosphere.

SO those things, combined with an offer that while low, was more than what I needed to make to pay the bills AND have some left over for me, was why I accepted.

Product Development Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Greetings in December 2010.

I met with an HR representative at a college career fair - I had done my homework on the company beforehand and the positions they were hiring for (product development analyst & merchant analyst). From the first day at the career fair they had 1:1 interview positions for 20 candidates over the next two days. I secured one of these and my 1:1 was conducted by the Vice President of the company. I was extremely impressed by the fact it was not just an HR lackey they send to career fairs. The interview went really well and I received a phone call about 2 weeks later saying they wanted me to come to the 2 day interview event at world HQ in Cleveland. About 20 candidates were at the event - mostly from schools in Ohio and surrounding states. The event started with a meet and greet dinner and tour of the facilities. The employees we met with were all leaders within their divisions and all seemed excited to be talking to potential recruits. The facilities are gorgeous and they are even going to be updating - the only downside is world HQ is located in Cleveland. The next day consisted of lunch with employees who were hired within the last year in the positions we were interviewing for - they seemed a little overwhelmed to be talking to 4 recruits at once. After lunch there were 5 half hour individual interviews. 4 of which with employees in management positions of the interviewee area and 1 with a recruiter. Know your stuff - do thorough research on the company - come prepared with many questions to ask THEM and also have a portfolio of work you have done in the past that you can reference when answering questions.

Interview Questions

I declined the offer because I was looking to move to a particular city. The salary was fabulous, the benefits for fabulous, and the people were fabulous, the only area where you are limited is location. If you are looking to move around or to a different city - the opportunity is just not there.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online – interviewed at American Greetings in August 2010.

It was fairly simple. I applied online and I received a phone call a couple of days later. It was followed up with a phone interview that entailed getting to know what the company expected and a little information about myself. I had an interview within the week. The interview was held at the Starbucks inside the company building and was very laid back. Overall the hiring process went really smooth and was an extremely comfortable process.

no negotiations

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Greetings in January 2010.

The hiring process consisted of a basic HR interview. The questions were very basic, "tell me about your goals" or "tell me about a time that you had to manage a difficult person." There were not a lot of follow up questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to manage a difficult person and what you did to get this person to have a team mentality.   Answer Question

Area Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Greetings in October 2008.

Interviews were behavioral based questions (Tell me about a time when you...) There were two, two on one interviews and they lasted for approx an hour each. THe initial phone interview was handeled by their HR who called me to set up another time. It was easy. The face to face interviews were a little more intense - small room, but very nice people. ONe wrote while the other asked. THere was a period for asking questions at the end so have some ready. They told me what areas they had open for info purposes.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to provide difficult feeback to an employee. What did you say, how did they react, what was the outcome?   View Answer
    They made an offer and I accepted.

National Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Greetings in May 2008.

The process will be handled by the hiring manager with little involvement from HR, most recruiter positions have been downsized. They will be looking for retail knowledge and an understadning on that particular retailer that the position will fill. The interview will be one on one and the overall interview will be less than 1.5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult decision you have ever had to make   View Answer
    only a couple of rounds, not difficult

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Greetings in December 2007.

first i had a phone interview, where they expected me to have memorized all of what the company does, in their own term (ie, dont say they sell greeting cards, say they are in the social expression business, etc)

then they called me to 4 hour interview process, which involved several interview with several people at a time. they asked me extensively about my past, asked about suggestions i'd have for american greetings, etc.

overall, it was very stressful. after that, they contacted me a month later to say that i was not accepted.

Interview Questions
    • what would you do to improve the business at american greetings?   Answer Question
    • what exactly did you do at your previous job(s)?   Answer Question