American Greetings

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.5

Part Time Merchandiser Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at American Greetings.

Initially, you go through a phone interview and then get an email from an area supervisor (AS) to go through the regular interview. Almost like they never even had the phone interview. Possibly depending on the AS, you meet in a store (e.g. Target) and all I had to go on was a name. The questions are of the usual variety, "why do you wanna work at AG?" "What do you understand about the job?" And so on.

Its pretty relaxed and quick. Don't forget to bring a copy of your résumé! You get a decision then and there or in a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation, you might win a quarter tops on your hourly pay. Standard is about 10 an hour, more with a degree (not that it's ever relevant).

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Greetings.

I was offered an interview with American Greetings after attending a career fair at my university where I talked to them at their booth. My interview was the next day and it was your standard behavioral interview questions. The I'm still waiting to hear back about an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you failed at being detail-oriented and how you corrected it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Greetings in October 2014.

Applied online, received an email to do a phone interview which had per-recorded questions. A couple of days later I received an email to meet up with one of the managers at the Starbucks in Target for a face to face interview. Passed the face to face interview then had to do a phone interview with the area supervisor since he is the one that does the hiring. Days passed by and I didn't hear from him, the manager finally gave me his number to where I was able to contact him for a phone interview. He then which explained that he has been busy and was sorry for not contacting me. After the phone interview I was then told I got the job and had to meet with the manager again to fill out papers like my W2 form. She said it would take a couple of days for everything to go through and they would send me and email. Two weeks later I have yet to receive anything. I emailed the area supervisor to ask what was going on and he said sorry there has been a glitch with getting my employee number and I should get it in a day or two, that was a week ago. I emailed him to let him know again I haven't received anything and haven't heard back. I was interested in the job but I don't understand why I have to go through all of this to just get started.

Interview Questions

To many problems with even getting started

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

I applied online – interviewed at American Greetings.

Sent in my resume, then did a auto phone interview, then nothing. The searching my spam folder there was an email stating to me her at 9:30 at Wal-Mart in card isle. Not a hello or anything. So when I was there she actually told me to my face that she forgot about the interview (she only sent it out the day before). Then went on to state there were no open position but just meeting people for when one comes up. This is one of the most unprofessional experiences I have had in a very long time. It was a waste of my time to drive across town to be told there are no open positions. When I stated to her I was just looking for part-time work since I will be taking classes to receive my Masters....she asked me if that was going to get in the way?????????? Waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • Can you work nights and weekends before and after holiday   View Answer

Part Time Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Greetings.

Hiring process was fairly easy. Online application was easy but they do an automated interview also. It was awkward talking to a recording for the questions they asked instead of having a live person in front of you. I think i was more nervous about the automated intervieiw more than anything.

Design Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Greetings.

Conducted a quick phone interview followed up by a one on one interview with HR and hiring manager. Follow up interview with future colleagues. Received offer from HR about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • The question was what the biggest challenge or success you have had at a previous job and how did you accomplish that.   Answer Question
    Relatively easy, used previous compensation as starting point.

PT Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online – interviewed at American Greetings in July 2014.

Very relaxed interview, nothing pressing. Just the basic questions like Why would you want to work for American Greetings and What do you know about American Greetings. I felt very comfortable with responding towards the questions. Days later i've got an e-mail offering me the position for the Part Time Merchandiser.

Area Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Greetings in July 2014.

Applied online. Received an email to arrange a phone interview. Passed the phone interview which lasted about 40 minutes and was scheduled an in-person interview the next day about 25 miles away from my original area which lasted about 40 minutes also and was told afterwards to write an example introductory letter to your team if you were to be hired and starting the position.

Interview Questions
    • Role Play: You're having a tough year and you are doing evaluations and have to evaluate an employee who's been with you for 20 years and does a great job but you can't afford to give raises.

You're 40% below sales and need to get it back up. Take me through what you would do for a creative plan?

View Answer

PT Merchandiser Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Greetings.

Applied online and completed an automated phone interview within a couple weeks. About a month later was contacted for in-person interview with area supervisor. Was offered job at interview which was in October, completed online training but after 6 months still had not worked in a store.

Interview Questions
    • None, was easy interview if you've had any merchandising experience.   Answer Question

Store Planner Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Greetings.

My interview was a one on one with the department manager. I received a call for a phone interview pryor to a scheduled one on one interview, it was a few questions concerning ability and skills. Upon scheduling an interview I was requested to bring in examples of my work with CAD, which of course is expected. Great interview because I got the job.