American Heart Association

www.heart.org

American Heart Association Director of Development Interview Questions & Reviews

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Director of Development Interview

Director of Development
Norfolk, VA

The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at American Heart Association in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the position and hear back from a recruiter within 48 hours for a phone screen. After that, the Exec. Director contacted me for a phone screen, that took place the next day- so two interviews in a week span- awesome!

This is where things went south. I was told after my phone interview with the E.D. that I would be contacted by the recruiter about next steps- this never happened. After about a week and a half of waiting, I was contacted and set up for another interview with the SVP of the region. After that interview, I was told someone would contact me about next steps. I waited. I waited some more. I finally followed up with the E.D. (just to make sure I was still being considered). I had an in-person interview and was told I would be contacted within a week after all candidates had been interviewed. So I waited. I waited. And then I followed up a week later and was told I would be contacted in two days. Two days turned into 14 days. I didn't get the position. I was sent a form email letter- which at that level of interaction, I would have appreciated a phone call and possible feedback.

I'm okay with the fact I didn't get the position- I was more than qualified, but I realize that I would not fit in with their sales, sales, sales culture (can you believe the E.D. told me that her staff steals money/sponsors/volunteers from each other?) but the lack of communication was disgusting. AHA- you need to put a timeline to your interview process and stick to it.

In general, I know it was a blessing in disguise because I do not think I would have enjoyed working at AHA. It seems to me that the only thing valued in their culture is how much money you can raise- there seems to be no emphasis in cultivating, growing and retaining volunteers in their organization- which I do not like whatsoever.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you really wanted something and how did you make that happen?   Answer Question

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!