American Heart Association

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

3.2

Senior Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Heart Association.

Extremely unprofessional! I submitted my resume online and was contacted by the recruiter the next week. That phone interview took approximately 30 minutes and seemed to go well. Next I had a longer phone interview with the direct manager. I then completed an online application and personality test. The third step was to do a panel interview with the "team". It lasted just under two hours and seemed to go well. I was told I would be contacted the next week. Two weeks went by and I sent a follow up email only to be told that they had not made a decision due to the holiday schedule. Meanwhile I had another opportunity that I needed to make a decision on even though I really wanted the AHA position. I was asked to "hold on" and they would make a decision the following week and contact me immediately. Nothing. I even sent another email which was ignored. I spent upwards of 8-10 hours preparing, driving to/from, and interviewing with these people only to not even be given a courtesy call or email response. Retrospectively, this behavior makes me glad I did not get hired.

Project Coordinator Interview

Extremely unprofessional. I applied for one position, and they reached out to me to arrange a phone interview. When the phone interview was done, they told me they would get back to me in two days letting me know if I got the job or not. They didn't reach out at all, so naturally I just thought I didn't get the position. Then over a month and a half later, I receive a phone call from them claiming that the manager was out on PTO, and that she would like to arrange another phone interview. As shady as it seemed, (because no body has 6 weeks PTO), I went through with the phone interview, and it went pretty well. She scheduled me in for a third in person interview. When I got there, there were 4 people with a stack of papers that had every possible behavioral interview question you could possibly think of. There were many ridiculous questions that didn't even make sense. I was there for a little under two hours answering their questions and in the end, I didn't get the job. To be honest though, I am glad I didn't get the job because I would never want to work for a shady company like this. Stay far away!

Interview Questions
    • There were too many to pick from. They literally have a packet of papers filled with interview questions. Expect to be in there for at least 1.5-2 hours answering behavioral questions.   View Answers (2)

Events and Business Operations Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

Applied online, received a email from a event specialist about setting up a time to do a in person interview. The process was very simple and easy. All I had to do was a in person interview with my supervisor, then a drug test and background check. Got to start my internship right after everything came back!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for the American Heart Association? And what are you trying to gain out of this internship?   Answer Question
    • What is your dream job?   Answer Question

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

Applied online, HR interview, phone interview, then in-person with background check and online survey. Not hard to handle. Basic interview questions and easy to understand if you are qualified.

Interview Questions
    • Why will you be successful in this position? And what other efforts have you implemented in other positions that would make you successful in this position?   View Answer
    Negotiate what you would want.

Executive Director Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Heart Association.

Very long, they follow CIDs process. Panel interview. Brings the best into the org so they say... Many questions, took almost 4 hours. Some were on,kne and connection drops all the time

Interview Questions
    Not much, corp. sets what it is, little to negotiate

Development Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

I submitted an application online and received a call from the HR recruiter at my local office about two weeks later. She asked me some basic questions and then got in touch with me a week later to request an in-person interview with the regional director. I came in for the interview and had a great chat with the regional director; she was impressed with my background/credentials, and even talked about how similar I was to her. I thought the interview went very well, and I left the office convinced that I had received the job. Before I left the office, the HR recruiter told me that she would give me a follow-up phone call the next day. About a week and a half later, I heard from the HR recruiter, and she told me that the regional director was so "impressed" with the way I handled myself and the interview. The HR recruiter assured me that the regional director would make a decision by the next week and she would call me. Well, a week and a half went by, and I hadn't heard from the recruiter, so I decided to send her an email. I quickly got a reply that she was out of the office for a week on vacation! I was livid! After another week of waiting (which was about 6 weeks since I applied for the job), the recruiter finally called me and told me they had gone with an internal candidate. Obviously, I was very upset and felt led-on by the company. I wish they had told me soon after my second round that I had not gotten the job instead of waiting for weeks. The recruiter encouraged me to apply for other AHA jobs, but after this terrible experience, I definitely don't want to work for their company. I feel like they handled the situation very unprofessionally, which makes me think less of the organization as a whole.

Any Job Opening Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Heart Association.

The AHA is notoriously slow to hire people. It may take months before you are hired. One employee actually forgot they applied and was caught off guard when they called wanting to schedule an interview.

You will be interviewed a minimum of 3 times. The first interview is a screening interview via telephone. The 2nd round is an in person interview to talk about your experience. If you are going to the 3rd round, you will be sent an insane assessment to take. Its approx. 350 questions. Your 2nd interview will be based on what the assessment says about you.

Interview Questions
    • You will get an out of left field question that is taken from the results of your assessment.   Answer Question
    Negotiation depends on the VP hiring you. Some will try hard to get you more, some will not.

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Found and applied online - I was contacted via email a couple of weeks later to schedule a phone interview. The interview was about 30 mins with an HR rep, a very nice person. Questions were typical, and mostly general. She just wanted to know what sort of experience I had from previous jobs.

Interview Questions
    • They were the usual - "tell me about yourself", and "why do you want to work here", etc.   Answer Question

Director of Marketing and Communications Interview

Was contacted by email to complete an online personality assessment and schedule a phone interview. The online assessment took about 45 minutes. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes and covered an overview of my work history, strengths and weaknesses. We also discussed the requirements of the position and my expectations regarding salary. They let me know the next steps in the interview/hiring process. I am scheduled for a second interview with the local hiring manager in the next ten days. Expect a decision very soon.

Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Heart Association.

Applied online and was contacted via email to schedule an in-person interview. Had a thirty+ minute interview with the hiring manager. The interview was very straightforward and conversational. I received an offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of situational questions, for example - Give an example of how you handled an ethical conflict in the past and what did you learn from it.   Answer Question
    This internship was unpaid; it was a requirement of my graduate program.