American Heart Association

Getting the Interview

59 candidate interviews

Customer Service Representative Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Heart Association in February 2008.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview first. Then i had to take a skills quiz that was about microsoft word and excel that was timed. After they looked over my results they contacted the manager of the department. They then scheduled an interview. The interview took two hours. After the that i had to wait for a couple weeks while they did the background check. Then i got an offer letter.

Interview Question – Described a difficult situation you had to deal with and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Corporate Events Director Interview

Corporate Events Director

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at American Heart Association in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewing for a job in the same organization but a different affiliate. It was very very weird. I have over 6 years with a proven track record and was interviewed like I was someone off the street that had never worked for the organization. Terrible interview.

Interview Questions

• What have you don't good in the past few years.   View Answer
  • What have you done bad in the last few years   View Answer

Specialty Advisor Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Heart Association.

Interview Details – The phone interview was wonderful, and the first in office interview with three managers went well. I was told that I would then be brought back for a CIDS interview and to do some homework about the interview process. I did just that and thought I was prepared when I sat down for that interview with a VP and the two managers I had met before. Let's just say that there was no room for showing your personal attributes in a positive light. They did not want to know how could I contribute to the overall success of the entity, they asked the same questions about my previous jobs over and over. If I attempted to talk about the position or add some insight into the questions I answered I got a rude look, and "anyway, back to the questions." This went on for 3 hours. When I returned from break they said, "Well, you didn't run away." I was unpleased with how this interview went and do not believe that it showcases skills, talents, or any other positives. It allows them to see what imperfections you have and you answer them because it is illegal for them to ask that of your previous managers. Very tricky, Topgrading! If you are an honest, hard worker, and believe in yourself you will answer not knowing that they are trying to pull as much negative information as they can that could keep you from getting the job. I withdrew my application for the job.

Interview Question – What would your previous employer or manager say about your weaknesses if they were sitting here?
What would they say you needed improvement on? I think that is the same question!
What would you do differently in that position?
What would you say the weakeness of your boss was? Really?

They get your answers because you are honest. I tried to upmanage my previous employers but they wanted a true negative answer. They are unable to ask a reference or HR of previous employment this. Beware!
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Director of Corporate Events Interview

Senior Director of Corporate Events

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Heart Association.

Interview Details – It is a long very structured interview. Takes 2-3 hours depending on the interviewee/interviewer. The interview is the same structure for all positions. They are looking for the best of the best. Be well prepared and know your resume.

Interview Question – List 5 weaknesses. They sit and wait and make you come up with 5.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a higher salary

Corporate Events Director Interview

Corporate Events Director
Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Heart Association.

Interview Details – The American Heart Association has an extensive interview process. All applications must be made through their website online. They begin by a telephone interview which is then followed by the applicant taking an online personality review. After those two steps are completed, the applicant is scheduled for a face to face interview. The interview is very comprehensive! they use the Chronological In Depth Survey (CIDS) questionaire. After that the applicant may be asked to come back for a more informal second interview.

Interview Question – Not any one question is specifically difficult. I recommend that the applicant be well prepared to walk through their resume chronologically and in great detail.   Answer Question

Communications Director Interview

Communications Director

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Heart Association in June 2008.

Interview Details – First interview is with the hiring manager. Second is with his/her supervisors and is more of a panel/behavioral interview, which lasts at least two hours. Overall, the process moved relatively fast and I found out I got the position within three days and was given the flexibility of selecting my start date. The HR department was a pleasure to work with.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?   View Answer
  • If you weren't interested in this positon what would you do if you could do anything in the world?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negogiation.

Purchasing Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Heart Association in June 2010.

Interview Details – Was not used to panel interviews. Many questions asked.

Interview Question – What was my last supervisors weakness.   Answer Question

Executive Director Interview

Executive Director
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Heart Association in April 2008.

Interview Details – AHA used the CIDS process in interviewing candidates....that stands for Chronilogical In-Depth Survey. After a initial phone interview with HR staff, there is usually a face to face with the hiring manager and then a three to four hour interview with the hiring manager and their manager. The process takes you through high school and college, focusing on questions that help show the decision making process you used when making education choices.

Work experience is covered a series of questions about each job...to determine exactly what you did and to show a progression of increasing responsibility. The process is very detailed and is designed to find "A" players....the best possible people in that market at the salary you can offer.

It is then followed by a background check, a computer skills test....and depending on the job a "Chally" - which is a test used to assess sales skills. Candidates are asked to schedule the reference checks for AHA staff.

Interview Question – Within the context of a specific past job, I was asked....What was the biggest mistake you made and if you could go back and redo it, what would you do differently.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty straight forward. The whole process usually takes a couple months so by the time they got to references checks, we were on the same page for salary, etc.

Sales Interview

Sales

The process took 2 months - interviewed at American Heart Association in July 2010.

Interview Details – Very long and tedious

Program Director Interview

The process took 2 months - interviewed at American Heart Association in January 2012.

Interview Details – Initial interview consisted of phone interview. The interview method used was CIDS. There were several (4 rounds) interviews which were unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Each round consisted of a predictable CIDS interview. Most of the interview process seemed unprofessional, and the interviewers seemed inexperienced. Little information was given before each interview, even basic information such as location of the interview.

Interview Question – What was the hardest obstacle you had to overcome in your past position? Followed by: how did you overcome it? Followed by: how would your supervisor describe your work on this obstacle? Followed by: may we speak to him/her about this example?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Heart Association

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Heart Association interview questions and advice. All 59 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Heart Association employees and interview candidates.