American Heart Association

3.2

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association in February 2008.

I had a phone interview first. Then i had to take a skills quiz that was about microsoft word and excel that was timed. After they looked over my results they contacted the manager of the department. They then scheduled an interview. The interview took two hours. After the that i had to wait for a couple weeks while they did the background check. Then i got an offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Described a difficult situation you had to deal with and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Corporate Events Director Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Heart Association in January 2012.

I was interviewing for a job in the same organization but a different affiliate. It was very very weird. I have over 6 years with a proven track record and was interviewed like I was someone off the street that had never worked for the organization. Terrible interview.

Interview Questions
    • What have you don't good in the past few years.   View Answer
    • What have you done bad in the last few years   View Answer

Specialty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Heart Association.

The phone interview was wonderful, and the first in office interview with three managers went well. I was told that I would then be brought back for a CIDS interview and to do some homework about the interview process. I did just that and thought I was prepared when I sat down for that interview with a VP and the two managers I had met before. Let's just say that there was no room for showing your personal attributes in a positive light. They did not want to know how could I contribute to the overall success of the entity, they asked the same questions about my previous jobs over and over. If I attempted to talk about the position or add some insight into the questions I answered I got a rude look, and "anyway, back to the questions." This went on for 3 hours. When I returned from break they said, "Well, you didn't run away." I was unpleased with how this interview went and do not believe that it showcases skills, talents, or any other positives. It allows them to see what imperfections you have and you answer them because it is illegal for them to ask that of your previous managers. Very tricky, Topgrading! If you are an honest, hard worker, and believe in yourself you will answer not knowing that they are trying to pull as much negative information as they can that could keep you from getting the job. I withdrew my application for the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would your previous employer or manager say about your weaknesses if they were sitting here?
      What would they say you needed improvement on? I think that is the same question!
      What would you do differently in that position?
      What would you say the weakeness of your boss was? Really?

They get your answers because you are honest. I tried to upmanage my previous employers but they wanted a true negative answer. They are unable to ask a reference or HR of previous employment this. Beware!

Answer Question

Senior Director of Corporate Events Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

It is a long very structured interview. Takes 2-3 hours depending on the interviewee/interviewer. The interview is the same structure for all positions. They are looking for the best of the best. Be well prepared and know your resume.

Interview Questions
    • List 5 weaknesses. They sit and wait and make you come up with 5.   Answer Question
    I negotiated a higher salary

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Heart Association in July 2013.

I found the job on a job posting board, and applied directly through their website. HR contacted me about a week later wanting to set up a phone interview with one of the supervisors. I had a phone interview with the manager's boss which was fairly standard, and not too long after that I was asked to come in for a face-to-face. I met with the manager and her boss, and it was about 1 hour long and fairly standard. Not too long after that, I was asked to come in for another interview. I was given an assignment to work on and present at the interview as well, and they also wanted me to complete a 400+ personality assessment beforehand. This third and final interview was in person and was with the manager, the manager's boss, and the boss's boss. This interview was the incredibly long one where I was asked every question under the sun, as they use the CIDS (Chronological In-Depth Structured) interview method. I've never been asked more questions in an interview than during this 3rd interview with the AHA. I also had to make a presentation regarding the assignment they had given me. Afterward, they requested a writing sample, so I sent them a paper I wrote in grad school. Not too long after that, they requested another writing sample, so I sent them something else. All in all, it took about 2 months from applying to actually receiving a job offer, as they are extremely thorough. They do call all of your references, and actually interview your references! After a verbal job offer, the manager actually called me to discuss my references feedback and grilled me on the few weaknesses my references mentioned. It was like a 4th interview, event though they already offered me the job and my references were overall very good!

Interview Questions
    • Fairly standard, just expect every question under the sun (yes, even going back to high school!). The most unexpected question I got was "what was the last book you read?" They also wanted me to list at least 5 weaknesses and strengths, and go into detail about each of them.   Answer Question
    They offered a bit more in salary than the job posting suggested, which was nice, but it was still quite low considering the insane workload and title. They told me it was non-negotiable.

Technical Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Heart Association in July 2014.

met 2 people to get interviewed. No telephonic interview. direct face to face interview. too much technical questions. discussed about the past 5 years experience. More technical questions on subject. In depth technical knowledge about the points in the resume.

Project Coordinator Interview

Extremely unprofessional. I applied for one position, and they reached out to me to arrange a phone interview. When the phone interview was done, they told me they would get back to me in two days letting me know if I got the job or not. They didn't reach out at all, so naturally I just thought I didn't get the position. Then over a month and a half later, I receive a phone call from them claiming that the manager was out on PTO, and that she would like to arrange another phone interview. As shady as it seemed, (because no body has 6 weeks PTO), I went through with the phone interview, and it went pretty well. She scheduled me in for a third in person interview. When I got there, there were 4 people with a stack of papers that had every possible behavioral interview question you could possibly think of. There were many ridiculous questions that didn't even make sense. I was there for a little under two hours answering their questions and in the end, I didn't get the job. To be honest though, I am glad I didn't get the job because I would never want to work for a shady company like this. Stay far away!

Interview Questions
    • There were too many to pick from. They literally have a packet of papers filled with interview questions. Expect to be in there for at least 1.5-2 hours answering behavioral questions.   View Answers (2)

Youth Market Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association in November 2013.

First I applied online, then I was setup with a recruiter that contacted me by phone and gave me more detail about the job. Next I had to take a personality test of some kind. Then I interviewed with the regional director in the area for about an hour. The interview was extensive and the interviewer asked detailed questions regarding situations and previous employment. Lastly, I met the regional director to go through a Skype interview with someone even further up the chain of command. Once again, the questions were tedious and required a fair amount of preparation.

Interview Questions
    • Give detailed examples of your past fundraising experiences and the goals met.   Answer Question

Business Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association in October 2011.

Apply online by submitting resume and cover letter, as well as filling out questionairre. Do not call inquiring about position, wait for the AHA to contact you. Initial phone interview followed by in-person interview. Second interview consists of a "Comprehensive In-depth Survey" or CIDS interview which can last 3- hours, going through all of your work and schooling history. Last step is reference checks which can last approximately 30 minutes with each reference.

Interview Questions
    • CIDS interview requires one to list five strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, it is an exhausting interview format that can leave you questioning your work history!   Answer Question

Teaching Gardens Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association in August 2013.

First, was a screening with HR on the phone. Second was an in person 2 hour interview with hiring supervisor and their boss on questions about myself and how I would fit the position. Third was completion of forms they emailed me, including a computer test and a background of previous jobs. Fourth, I came in for another 2 hour interview specifically on my employment background- such as my education and going through each job I have had. Fifth, they asked me for four referrals, which they talked to on the phone for 30 minutes each (I had to set up the appointments). The process takes a long time, about 6-7 weeks in total.