American Heart Association Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Heart Association in January 2015.

I found the job through my college's career site. It required me to submit a cover letter and resume. About a week later, I hear back from them for a phone interview. After the phone interview, I went in person to get a feel of the work environment. While I was there, I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • How has your past working experience made you qualified for this position?   Answer Question

Fundraising Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at American Heart Association.

The interview process was odd, and a little difficult to navigate. The first interview came from the HR rep and was over the phone; really standard phone interview questions. He was super nice and very thoughtful in his questions and, after discussing my experience, he suggested two positions for which I might be a good fit. The second interview was in-person in the office with the person who would have been my supervisor. It was super easy-going and she was very nice. She asked some very general questions while looking through my resume. We talked about the position very openly and she said at the end of the meeting that she definitely wanted to bring me back. That same day, I received an email from HR asking me to take an online personality test (Meyers-Briggs type). When I came in for the second in-person interview, I was brought into a conference room with 3 staff members. They grilled me, round-robin style, for about and hour and a half. The questions were very general but specific, about my work style and how I handle stress. Much more emotional than about the job. They then asked to take a break and sent me back to the lobby to wait for about 10 minutes, then they brought me back in, asked one more question, and offered me the opportunity to ask my own questions. All in all, it was about two hours long. In the end, I didn't receive an offer. It was a good interview experience in that it was good practice, but it made me feel that I wouldn't have been a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prioritize your workday and how many meetings per week do you schedule or attend?   Answer Question

Senior Director- Heart Walk Pittsburgh Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Heart Association.

Friendly but questions lacked a pattern or focus. Kept trying to carry a common thread through to reinforce points on my experience but kept being pulled off track by the interviewer. I think its a place that likes to hire mainly women, who would sort of be sorority girl types.

Interview Questions
    • The standard "Tell us about yourself' "Tell me about a work failure."   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Heart Association.

Extremely unprofessional! I submitted my resume online and was contacted by the recruiter the next week. That phone interview took approximately 30 minutes and seemed to go well. Next I had a longer phone interview with the direct manager. I then completed an online application and personality test. The third step was to do a panel interview with the "team". It lasted just under two hours and seemed to go well. I was told I would be contacted the next week. Two weeks went by and I sent a follow up email only to be told that they had not made a decision due to the holiday schedule. Meanwhile I had another opportunity that I needed to make a decision on even though I really wanted the AHA position. I was asked to "hold on" and they would make a decision the following week and contact me immediately. Nothing. I even sent another email which was ignored. I spent upwards of 8-10 hours preparing, driving to/from, and interviewing with these people only to not even be given a courtesy call or email response. Retrospectively, this behavior makes me glad I did not get hired.

Project Coordinator Interview

Extremely unprofessional. I applied for one position, and they reached out to me to arrange a phone interview. When the phone interview was done, they told me they would get back to me in two days letting me know if I got the job or not. They didn't reach out at all, so naturally I just thought I didn't get the position. Then over a month and a half later, I receive a phone call from them claiming that the manager was out on PTO, and that she would like to arrange another phone interview. As shady as it seemed, (because no body has 6 weeks PTO), I went through with the phone interview, and it went pretty well. She scheduled me in for a third in person interview. When I got there, there were 4 people with a stack of papers that had every possible behavioral interview question you could possibly think of. There were many ridiculous questions that didn't even make sense. I was there for a little under two hours answering their questions and in the end, I didn't get the job. To be honest though, I am glad I didn't get the job because I would never want to work for a shady company like this. Stay far away!

Interview Questions
    • There were too many to pick from. They literally have a packet of papers filled with interview questions. Expect to be in there for at least 1.5-2 hours answering behavioral questions.   View Answers (2)

Events and Business Operations Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

Applied online, received a email from a event specialist about setting up a time to do a in person interview. The process was very simple and easy. All I had to do was a in person interview with my supervisor, then a drug test and background check. Got to start my internship right after everything came back!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for the American Heart Association? And what are you trying to gain out of this internship?   Answer Question
    • What is your dream job?   Answer Question

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

Applied online, HR interview, phone interview, then in-person with background check and online survey. Not hard to handle. Basic interview questions and easy to understand if you are qualified.

Interview Questions
    • Why will you be successful in this position? And what other efforts have you implemented in other positions that would make you successful in this position?   View Answer
    Negotiate what you would want.

Executive Director Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Heart Association.

Very long, they follow CIDs process. Panel interview. Brings the best into the org so they say... Many questions, took almost 4 hours. Some were on,kne and connection drops all the time

Interview Questions
    Not much, corp. sets what it is, little to negotiate

Development Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

I submitted an application online and received a call from the HR recruiter at my local office about two weeks later. She asked me some basic questions and then got in touch with me a week later to request an in-person interview with the regional director. I came in for the interview and had a great chat with the regional director; she was impressed with my background/credentials, and even talked about how similar I was to her. I thought the interview went very well, and I left the office convinced that I had received the job. Before I left the office, the HR recruiter told me that she would give me a follow-up phone call the next day. About a week and a half later, I heard from the HR recruiter, and she told me that the regional director was so "impressed" with the way I handled myself and the interview. The HR recruiter assured me that the regional director would make a decision by the next week and she would call me. Well, a week and a half went by, and I hadn't heard from the recruiter, so I decided to send her an email. I quickly got a reply that she was out of the office for a week on vacation! I was livid! After another week of waiting (which was about 6 weeks since I applied for the job), the recruiter finally called me and told me they had gone with an internal candidate. Obviously, I was very upset and felt led-on by the company. I wish they had told me soon after my second round that I had not gotten the job instead of waiting for weeks. The recruiter encouraged me to apply for other AHA jobs, but after this terrible experience, I definitely don't want to work for their company. I feel like they handled the situation very unprofessionally, which makes me think less of the organization as a whole.

Any Job Opening Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Heart Association.

The AHA is notoriously slow to hire people. It may take months before you are hired. One employee actually forgot they applied and was caught off guard when they called wanting to schedule an interview.

You will be interviewed a minimum of 3 times. The first interview is a screening interview via telephone. The 2nd round is an in person interview to talk about your experience. If you are going to the 3rd round, you will be sent an insane assessment to take. Its approx. 350 questions. Your 2nd interview will be based on what the assessment says about you.

Interview Questions
    • You will get an out of left field question that is taken from the results of your assessment.   Answer Question
    Negotiation depends on the VP hiring you. Some will try hard to get you more, some will not.