American Heart Association Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2015
Updated Mar 6, 2015

3.2

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Heart Association.

This can take a long time and can mean two interviews with management from VP and SVP. The on boarding process has gotten better and friendlier.

Low salary offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

The interview process is fairly thorough as you go through a phone screen with the Recruiter, a face to face interview and then a 2.5 to 3 hour final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Besides working here for the mission, why do you really want to work here   Answer Question
    Not much wiggle room.

Administrative Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jefferson City, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Jefferson City, MO

I applied online – interviewed at American Heart Association in November 2013.

Applied online Contacted by phone Face to face interview-which was not planned. The first communication I had with corporate was a phone call that turned into a 30 minute interview. The face to face interview was an intense battery of questions that included the pros and cons of past jobs.

Interview Questions
    • What are your current supervisor's weaknesses?   View Answer

Technology Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association in November 2013.

The first interview was a quick phone screen by a HR rep. I then got a call from the hiring manager a few days later for about an hour interview over the phone along with another employee who was performing the same job function. This was all job specific (related skills/experience). Next was an in person interview a couple weeks later. This was EXHAUSTING! Same two employees who interviewed me over the phone and another manager. Typical CIDS interview. it lasted 3.5 hours! Questions were completely irrelevant to the job. They asked the same 4 questions of EVERY SINGLE job that was on my resume. It's hard to be attentive during this entire process and to stay on track because of the length. I became exhausted and just didn't feel like answering any more of the questions. it was way too long! They were very uptight and almost made it uncomfortable to interview. I didn't feel like I would have fit with this company anyway.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Heart Association in November 2013.

I applied online and was contacted via email for interview on the Dallas office. The first interview was very basic with HR. Then I was interviewed by the supervisor. He was very professional and the Interview went really well. I was called two days later for a second interview with the supervisor and two other managers. It was a 2 hr. interview focused on my work experience. I was called again for a third interview with another manager who seemed very uninterested talking about the last night party with her friends.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever contested an order from a former supervisor? Why?   Answer Question

Youth Market Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association in November 2013.

First I applied online, then I was setup with a recruiter that contacted me by phone and gave me more detail about the job. Next I had to take a personality test of some kind. Then I interviewed with the regional director in the area for about an hour. The interview was extensive and the interviewer asked detailed questions regarding situations and previous employment. Lastly, I met the regional director to go through a Skype interview with someone even further up the chain of command. Once again, the questions were tedious and required a fair amount of preparation.

Interview Questions
    • Give detailed examples of your past fundraising experiences and the goals met.   Answer Question

Health Strategies Director Interview

interviewed at American Heart Association in September 2013.

I applied initially for an Executive Director position, but an offer had already been accepted by another candidate when AHA received my online application. However, the VP of HR called to explore my interest in a different opportunity for a position still under development and new to that market. I was impressed with her operational knowledge of AHA's programs and strategic agenda, as well as her warmth and genuineness. When the Job Description was formalized for the new position (Health Strategies Director), she let me know, and we had an additional phone interview, in which I had the chance to ask most of the questions. She then scheduled a phone interview with the reporting VP, which was also a very positive experience. Next step is another phone interview with additional team members. No offer yet, but a very good first impression of the company and culture has been created.

Interview Questions
    • No "gotchya" type questions. More like a natural conversation, with good give and take.   Answer Question

Health Strategies Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Heart Association.

Was e-mailed about 2 days after I submitted my application to set up an interview. I set up the interview for the following week, and recieved a call from the VP of HR promptly at the time we set up. Answered basic interview questions for about 30 minutes, and was told I would be contacted and what to expect for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Where in the organization do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Teaching Gardens Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association in August 2013.

First, was a screening with HR on the phone. Second was an in person 2 hour interview with hiring supervisor and their boss on questions about myself and how I would fit the position. Third was completion of forms they emailed me, including a computer test and a background of previous jobs. Fourth, I came in for another 2 hour interview specifically on my employment background- such as my education and going through each job I have had. Fifth, they asked me for four referrals, which they talked to on the phone for 30 minutes each (I had to set up the appointments). The process takes a long time, about 6-7 weeks in total.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Heart Association in July 2013.

I found the job on a job posting board, and applied directly through their website. HR contacted me about a week later wanting to set up a phone interview with one of the supervisors. I had a phone interview with the manager's boss which was fairly standard, and not too long after that I was asked to come in for a face-to-face. I met with the manager and her boss, and it was about 1 hour long and fairly standard. Not too long after that, I was asked to come in for another interview. I was given an assignment to work on and present at the interview as well, and they also wanted me to complete a 400+ personality assessment beforehand. This third and final interview was in person and was with the manager, the manager's boss, and the boss's boss. This interview was the incredibly long one where I was asked every question under the sun, as they use the CIDS (Chronological In-Depth Structured) interview method. I've never been asked more questions in an interview than during this 3rd interview with the AHA. I also had to make a presentation regarding the assignment they had given me. Afterward, they requested a writing sample, so I sent them a paper I wrote in grad school. Not too long after that, they requested another writing sample, so I sent them something else. All in all, it took about 2 months from applying to actually receiving a job offer, as they are extremely thorough. They do call all of your references, and actually interview your references! After a verbal job offer, the manager actually called me to discuss my references feedback and grilled me on the few weaknesses my references mentioned. It was like a 4th interview, event though they already offered me the job and my references were overall very good!

Interview Questions
    • Fairly standard, just expect every question under the sun (yes, even going back to high school!). The most unexpected question I got was "what was the last book you read?" They also wanted me to list at least 5 weaknesses and strengths, and go into detail about each of them.   Answer Question
    They offered a bit more in salary than the job posting suggested, which was nice, but it was still quite low considering the insane workload and title. They told me it was non-negotiable.