American Heart Association

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

3.1

Health Strategies Director Interview

interviewed at American Heart Association in September 2013.

I applied initially for an Executive Director position, but an offer had already been accepted by another candidate when AHA received my online application. However, the VP of HR called to explore my interest in a different opportunity for a position still under development and new to that market. I was impressed with her operational knowledge of AHA's programs and strategic agenda, as well as her warmth and genuineness. When the Job Description was formalized for the new position (Health Strategies Director), she let me know, and we had an additional phone interview, in which I had the chance to ask most of the questions. She then scheduled a phone interview with the reporting VP, which was also a very positive experience. Next step is another phone interview with additional team members. No offer yet, but a very good first impression of the company and culture has been created.

Interview Questions
    • No "gotchya" type questions. More like a natural conversation, with good give and take.   Answer Question

Health Strategies Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Heart Association.

Was e-mailed about 2 days after I submitted my application to set up an interview. I set up the interview for the following week, and recieved a call from the VP of HR promptly at the time we set up. Answered basic interview questions for about 30 minutes, and was told I would be contacted and what to expect for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Where in the organization do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Teaching Gardens Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association in August 2013.

First, was a screening with HR on the phone. Second was an in person 2 hour interview with hiring supervisor and their boss on questions about myself and how I would fit the position. Third was completion of forms they emailed me, including a computer test and a background of previous jobs. Fourth, I came in for another 2 hour interview specifically on my employment background- such as my education and going through each job I have had. Fifth, they asked me for four referrals, which they talked to on the phone for 30 minutes each (I had to set up the appointments). The process takes a long time, about 6-7 weeks in total.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Heart Association in July 2013.

I found the job on a job posting board, and applied directly through their website. HR contacted me about a week later wanting to set up a phone interview with one of the supervisors. I had a phone interview with the manager's boss which was fairly standard, and not too long after that I was asked to come in for a face-to-face. I met with the manager and her boss, and it was about 1 hour long and fairly standard. Not too long after that, I was asked to come in for another interview. I was given an assignment to work on and present at the interview as well, and they also wanted me to complete a 400+ personality assessment beforehand. This third and final interview was in person and was with the manager, the manager's boss, and the boss's boss. This interview was the incredibly long one where I was asked every question under the sun, as they use the CIDS (Chronological In-Depth Structured) interview method. I've never been asked more questions in an interview than during this 3rd interview with the AHA. I also had to make a presentation regarding the assignment they had given me. Afterward, they requested a writing sample, so I sent them a paper I wrote in grad school. Not too long after that, they requested another writing sample, so I sent them something else. All in all, it took about 2 months from applying to actually receiving a job offer, as they are extremely thorough. They do call all of your references, and actually interview your references! After a verbal job offer, the manager actually called me to discuss my references feedback and grilled me on the few weaknesses my references mentioned. It was like a 4th interview, event though they already offered me the job and my references were overall very good!

Interview Questions
    • Fairly standard, just expect every question under the sun (yes, even going back to high school!). The most unexpected question I got was "what was the last book you read?" They also wanted me to list at least 5 weaknesses and strengths, and go into detail about each of them.   Answer Question
    They offered a bit more in salary than the job posting suggested, which was nice, but it was still quite low considering the insane workload and title. They told me it was non-negotiable.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association in July 2013.

a phone screen with a very Jr level recruiter. Then a phone screen, with a HR leader.

Event Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

1st interview- phone interview with HR- asked general questions re: my experience in this role- experience with in-kind donations, event management, etc
    2nd interview- in person at their local office with manager and other colleague
    3rd interview- last like 3 hours and they have you answer SO many questions that goes back since high school/first work experience and has you go in detail about why you are where you are, etc.

none, they did not consider salary negotiations. "this is at the top of the

Senior Director of Corporate Events Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

It is a long very structured interview. Takes 2-3 hours depending on the interviewee/interviewer. The interview is the same structure for all positions. They are looking for the best of the best. Be well prepared and know your resume.

Interview Questions
    • List 5 weaknesses. They sit and wait and make you come up with 5.   Answer Question
    I negotiated a higher salary

Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association.

I didn't initially have a phone interview. They had me come in a couple days after I submitted my application. I was interviewed by two of the coordinators for that department. They were super nice and easy to talk to. Cracking jokes now and then. They asked me about my background and what I wanted to do in the near future. They wanted to know what I wanted to get out of the internship and what I had to offer. It was pretty standard.

Though I didnt get the internship position for them, they were kind enough to refer me to one of their colleagues that was also interviewing folks to intern for her too. When the interviewer (my boss now) called, we talked about my background and went through standard questions to follow up what I had previously mentioned in the other interview. I started immediately after.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard stuff. Just go over your resume thoroughly and know what you want to do.   Answer Question

Contract Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Heart Association.

Typical

Not willing to negotiate - I reuqested additional PTO time. Not an option

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Heart Association in March 2013.

Very standard interview, lots of brain picking.... interview seems to be more of a consultation to tell them what to do.... Go over work history and explain 1 good and one bad thing about each situation...

Interview Questions

Unrealistic low salary and no benefits at all....