American Heart Association

Very Easy Interview

Fundraising Director Interview

Fundraising Director
Houston, TX

I applied online and interviewed at American Heart Association.

Interview Details – Terrible very unprofessional

Interview Question – Are you married how many kids do you have.   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online - interviewed at American Heart Association in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by a recruiter over the phone and then invited to an in person interview a week later with the hiring manager. I thought it went well; questions were not too difficult at all but their are several stages in the interview process. I wasn't called back after the first in person interview despite having all the qualifications and it seeemingly going well. I would be curious to know what they're looking for.

Interview Question – Who was your favorite supervisor?   Answer Question

Government Interview

Government
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Heart Association.

Interview Details – The hiring process is extremely detailed and in some ways overly complicated. When going in for the lengthy interview, be sure to have fully studied your resume and to also dig back into your career to recall projects, tasks, etc. Finally, be sure to go back to your college and high school experiences... anyone remember what they got on their ACT / SAT?

Interview Question – Please describe your study habits when you were in high school.   Answer Question

Regional Development Director (Fundraising) Interview

Regional Development Director (Fundraising)
Fort Walton Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Heart Association in May 2012.

Interview Details – First communication was a phone call screening. It was pretty brief, the woman asked basic questions about past jobs and why I wanted to work for AHA.
I was then scheduled for an in person interview. I came very prepared and felt very qualified for the job. The woman interviewing me was the region Vice President, the position's direct report. She was very candid about the position and said it was a very tough job and that I would either love it or hate it. She said previous women leave the position within a year, or are in for several years. She didn't make the position seem appealing at all, rather scared me away. Afterwards, I contacted a former fundraising director and she told me to run, so I did. I was called back for a second interview and declined. HR will submit a background check.

Interview Question – The first one on one interview was more or less conversation in which I was asked about my previous positions and why I wanted to leave my current job. I felt I asked more questions since I had no experience in fundraising. I assume the 3rd step group interview is when the more difficult questions come in.   Answer Question

Corporate Events Director Interview

Corporate Events Director
Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Heart Association.

Interview Details – The American Heart Association has an extensive interview process. All applications must be made through their website online. They begin by a telephone interview which is then followed by the applicant taking an online personality review. After those two steps are completed, the applicant is scheduled for a face to face interview. The interview is very comprehensive! they use the Chronological In Depth Survey (CIDS) questionaire. After that the applicant may be asked to come back for a more informal second interview.

Interview Question – Not any one question is specifically difficult. I recommend that the applicant be well prepared to walk through their resume chronologically and in great detail.   Answer Question

Grassroots Coordinator Interview

Grassroots Coordinator
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at American Heart Association in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted the same day I applied and scheduled a screening interview over the phone. The interviewer called late and informed me that her computer was down and that she would not be able to access her planned questions but we should get started anyway. She seemed to be making up questions on the fly and the conversation was stilted. At the end of the interview she giggled, before hanging up. By far one of the strangest interviews I've ever had.

Interview Question – Questions were pretty routine, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Executive Director Interview

Executive Director
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Heart Association in April 2008.

Interview Details – AHA used the CIDS process in interviewing candidates....that stands for Chronilogical In-Depth Survey. After a initial phone interview with HR staff, there is usually a face to face with the hiring manager and then a three to four hour interview with the hiring manager and their manager. The process takes you through high school and college, focusing on questions that help show the decision making process you used when making education choices.

Work experience is covered a series of questions about each job...to determine exactly what you did and to show a progression of increasing responsibility. The process is very detailed and is designed to find "A" players....the best possible people in that market at the salary you can offer.

It is then followed by a background check, a computer skills test....and depending on the job a "Chally" - which is a test used to assess sales skills. Candidates are asked to schedule the reference checks for AHA staff.

Interview Question – Within the context of a specific past job, I was asked....What was the biggest mistake you made and if you could go back and redo it, what would you do differently.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty straight forward. The whole process usually takes a couple months so by the time they got to references checks, we were on the same page for salary, etc.

Very Easy Interview

Youth Market Director Interview

Youth Market Director
Philadelphia, PA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Heart Association in August 2010.

Interview Details – It was a JOKE. I first interviewed with a panel of three women. As long as they thought I was hot, they hired me. My 1:1 interview was stupid. All the guy did was talk sports with me and he didn't know anything about the company.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever fundraised? Explain your failure with it or success   Answer Question
  • Are you comfortable working with all women (the ratio is about 58:1 girls:guys)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Couldn't negotiate

Executive Director Interview

Executive Director
Spokane, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Heart Association in August 2010.

Interview Details – Long and tedious interview process that covers the same material over and over and over and over and over.... No matter how long you've been in your field, they ask you, "Tell me about your favorite part of college." Relevance?! It's all just paperwork and nonsense.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Nothing is negotiable during their interview process. They already have set what they intend to "grace" you with.

Managing Editor Interview

Managing Editor
Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Heart Association in July 2009.

Interview Details – Panel interview with no moderator, while lunch is being served. Nothing but a series of awkward silences, as there was no direction to the process, and people had their mouths full most of the time. This was followed by a 2:1 interview. Each question was taken verbatim from an interview manual, and the same questions were asked for each prior position I had held. There was little or no attempt by the interviewers to stray from this script. Although the position was to be largely a matter of personnel management, the interview process was as dehumanizing as possible, and seemed to be designed to remove any room for personal responses or insight. Halfway though I realized that I wasting my time since I likely would not last long in such an environment. I was shocked when my recruiter said they had loved me, and an offer would be forthcoming. I was asked to provide an additional reference. Three days later I was informed they had offered someone else the position. None of my references had been contacted.

Interview Question – Name a college professor who had a profound impact on you?   View Answer