American Income Life Interview Questions & Reviews in Columbia, MD

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Benefits Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Income Life.

I was called by the company as they found my resume online. The initial interview is just a screening tool. Its very brief. After passing that you are immediately given a personality survey & brought into a presentation to a group. The presentation details what the company does & what the benefits structure is. After a couple of questions as to why you would best fit, you are done with the second part. They call back those they want to conduct final interviews with. The final interview is mainly to ensure you have the drive & desire to do the job. If an offer is extended, be sure to have enough money in your account to pay for your licensing course (usually about 150).

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Income Life in June 2012.

Was called by one of the managers and then had a general interview just asking basic info about myself in the office. The next interview was the same day. The company discussed the ins and outs of the company in a group interview and gave a list of questions that each potential employee had to stand up and answer. The 3rd interview was more personal and consisted of offer and acceptance and you had a chance to ask any questions.

Interview Questions
    • Give three reasons why you would be a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Income Life in June 2012.

I didn't seek the offer out, rather I got a phone call inviting me to a one on one interview the next day with one of their managers. The told me "to dress professionally"--always a red flag, as this should go without saying.(The manager whose name was discussed in the phone call was not the manager who sat down with me, but rather the man who called me.) I was one of many in the waiting room of the office and, when called, was taken into another room to be interviewed. I was asked about my interests and how competitive I would rank myself as being and then told briefly about the company. After five minutes of this I was told that they would be "moving forward with me" and asked me to stay for a presentation on the company.

In the presentation they (3 managers) made the company sound almost too good to be true. Unlimited potential pay, niche marketing plan, and a chance to truly help people. They stressed the hard work it would take and made the job (basically a sales position, in spite of that fact that we were all told we were being hired as "managers") like both a pleasure and a challenge--which it probably is to those suited for it. They stressed many times that not everyone was suited for it and while there was the potential for huge profits, that came with time and skill. While I felt it was a sales pitch, I didn't feel like they ever were intentionally deceptive. They tried to tell you the facts, but make it sound as enticing as possible. As the presentation concluded, we all filled out a personality profile (part written response and part multiple choice), were asked to indicate what times we would be available to come in for an interview and why we thought we would be right for the job.

I don't know how many of those that pass the initial interviews are called in for a final interview, I had no way to judge it, but I certainly was. I got a call the day before in the late afternoon to confirm the time of the interview. During this final interview the manager (the same one who had called me initially and conducted my first interview) went over the pay in great detail, the benefits (life and dental), and the training process. Again, I sensed no deception, just honest responses to honest questions. If you don't give it some thought this would probably be yet another sales pitch, but with research and intelligent questions one could really understand to offer in front of you. Every question asked was met by a truthful reply. I really respected my interviewer for that. I was offered the position and told to make my decision on the spot--to commit to them as they were willing to commit to me or not.

Interview Questions
    • How well would you get along with their sales demographic (nurses, police officers, fire-fighters, teachers, and other union members)?   View Answer
    • What do you want to improve about yourself?   Answer Question
    • How competitive are you? Why do you say that?   View Answer

I declined simply because the hours were not in line with what I need. For the first 90 days they need you to be able to devote twelve hours a day for six days a week to them (9am to 9pm) and even go out of town a few times. While I'm not scared of hard work, my classes are in the evenings and their prime sales times are from 2pm to 9pm. The have "flexible" hours, yes, but those don't come until much later in your career and at the risk of giving up your most productive hours of your work day. It's a great opportunity and they appear fair and upfront, but it comes with a lot of initial sacrifice. It really was just not something that would work for me nor their company. While they were very willing to try do what they could to help me, I really felt it was not in either of our best interests. They would benefit from having an employee fully able to devote that time and energy to them and I am willing to accept a smaller pay-check from some other company for more time with my loved ones and my studies.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at American Income Life in February 2012.

I was found on CareerBuilder and was invited to come in for an interview. Interview lasted last then 10 minutes and then there was presentation to the group about working for the company and how much money we could make.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would be an asset to the company.   Answer Question

Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Income Life in January 2012.

I saw the posting on my school's website. They were looking for someone to take care of managerial duties. But when i got there, It was totally different story. They were looking for someone to go in people's house and sell insurance. After selling insurances for 6 months to an year, then u might become supervisor. even then you have to go people's houses.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me if i was married (Because I was about to have no life/eife if I had join that company). The training was gonna be intense and was requiring me to work all evenings and Saturdays.   Answer Question

Worked for American Income Life? Contribute to the Community!