American Income Life

American Income Life Interview Questions

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

1.7

Union Benefits Representative (Actually Turned Out to BE Insurance Sales Agent) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covina, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covina, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Income Life in October 2014.

I received an email from a consulting company. A gentleman named told me he found my resume online and believed I was a good candidate for a position called Union Benefits Representative for a company called in Covina, CA. He told me the starting salary was $60,000. Being that I am a recent graduate, I was excited to hear about this opportunity. He said that if I was interested we could set up a phone interview the following day. I have him my phone number. He lated emailed me saying he was busy and if I was available to go talk to the office manger the following day. I said yes and he set up an interview for me with office manager.

When I got to the building, there was about 15 people there. Some were waiting in line and some were filling out a candidate questionnaire. As I waited in line, I heard that multiple people came to meet with the office manager. I was beginning to feel that something was not right if 8 people all had interviews at 10 AM with one lady. When I got to the front, I said I was there to interview with the office manager. The receptionist gave me the candidate questionnaire, which asked my name, address, phone number, convictions, if I had a vehicle, etc. As I'm filling out the form multiple people are going in and out of the building meeting with the office manager and other people who worked there.

When I met the office manager, she began telling me that this position was for labor benefits and insurance. She said the company was American Income Life Insurance and that because my resume was strong, she wanted me to stay for a presentation about American Income Life so I can get a better feel for the company. I stayed and she took me to a room where a presentation was being set up and about 12 other candidates were waiting. I recognized some people from the lobby so I guess it was there process of weeding out who got to stay.

As I listened to the presentation, I became very bored and irritated. I wish I know the job was insurance sales and commission based only. I felt very mislead. The presenter said that we had the potential to make over $100,000/yr. He said we would have to get an insurance license for this job that costed anywhere between $250-$350. I was pissed. They mislead people to believe it was a good paying job but I think it is a scam.

The office manager called me later in the day saying if I was interested and I told her I need a salary job, not commission based and I'm not interested in doing sales.

All in all: if you want to do insurance sales, this is perfect for you. However, it's completely commission based and you have to pay out of pocket before you even have a chance to MAYBE make some money with this company. NO job should ever make someone pay to work for them.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't even ask me questions or get to know me. They just wanted me to be a "Yes" woman.   View Answer

They were misleading. I'm not interested in waiting to make money or having to sell something to get paid.

New Hire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Income Life.

Went through five interviews in two days, it was very time consuming. It started with a phone interview then went into four more office interviews where they focused on making you money. I'm not licensed so I have to pay for that, figured a company with so much money might invest a little into someone they wanted to hire and help them get their license.

Benefits Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Income Life in November 2014.

To begin the process, I received an email from a gentleman named Michael at J and M consulting, stating that the company he was part of consulted for several small businesses in the Chicagoland area, particularly for up and coming companies. I was told he had seen my resume online and there was a position that I would be a good fit for and asked if I was interested in learning more. I replied that day asking for more information; he replied within a couple hours stating the company currently under consideration was Olson and Associates. I was told they were hiring for Benefits Representatives and the average starting wage was around 60,000. I was asked if he could schedule an interview with me with their coordinator, Donna.

The interview style was completely unexpected. I was impressed by the company's foyer and professional external appearance, but it immediately became evident that I was merely a number and that I would be given no personalized attention. My "interviewer", Donna, was apparently just my "contact person", the same person as for at least 10 other people that had the same "interview" time. Due to the large number of people being "interviewed" that day, people were brought back to manager offices and then sent upstairs for a presentation; although my appointment was at 11:00AM, I did not see a manager to begin the process until around 11:20.

After a very quick interview with Sheila, I was brought up to a large presentation room where one of the company managers, Ransey, gave an elaborate breakdown about the company; he explained that since they had our resume it was only fair that they give us theirs. The presentation seemed to last for 30 to 45 minutes, but that may have been due to sitting there listening to a presentation for so long after waiting for a prompt interview meeting at 11:00; it felt like a long day already. The idea of the company was selling to people that had already expressed an interest in the product, then obtaining referrals and expanding your own book of business. You would start with a packet of 120 (or maybe 150, somewhere in that range) leads and work your way through them, calling clients, setting appointments, selling. You could "ideally" make all the money you wanted. Good concept, though I enjoy variety in a job, rather than letting a computer presentation do all the work and following a script, but that's my own personal job taste.

I received a call around 3:00 or so that Thursday asking to come in for a final interview, this time directly with Sheila. I had some questions. Base salary or strictly commission; paid training; do the leads they give you every two weeks cease to come and so you have to create your own eventually?

When I arrived for my final interview, it was like Deja vu. Same cattle call, mass prospective employee set-up. A gentleman in front of me asked one of the receptionists quite bluntly if this was an insurance company; the lady smile, answered the script "When you meet with the manager they will answer all your questions." I sat down and once again watched people being brought back and then sent up to the conference room. The gentleman from before was brought back, then within about 5 five minutes walked out the door without a manager (guess he got his answer).

Sheila took another person before she got to me; this felt like another little slap to the face, since this was supposed to be my final interview with her, yet I was once again waiting. I'm not saying that I am the most important person on the planet, but as candidates for job interviews we are told to be on time, to respect the employer's time and company, to show professionalism; I do not understand why it is acceptable for a company to treat a prospective employee with disregard for their time and punctuality, and again, treat them like a sales machine rather than valued asset to the company.

The final interview was pretty straightforward. I asked about commission versus base salary; everything was commission. I would spend a week in the classroom 9-4, then the following week out in the field learning the technique, then start having checks come in, hopefully. I'm also attuned to people's grammar, and caught a few mistakes while she was speaking; that makes me sound arrogant, I realize, but this was another factor that turned me off from the company.

Although I decided to not accept this employment opportunity, it could be a good fit for some. If you want to create your own schedule rather than a 9-5 (that's my personal preference, but not everyone enjoys forced structure like that), and have large amounts of income and just remember the script and sales techniques, it may be a good fit.
    Not a good fit for me, but it is for others.

Interview Questions

Prefer hourly/salaried positions over strict commission; was not pleased with the mass candidate interview approach; was not pleased with having to wait both days to see the manager, and not even the manager I was told I would originally be meeting with. I want to work for a company that respects my time and punctuality, since I am expected to be punctual, efficient and respectful of others in the professional workplace.

Union Benefits Advisor Interview

Not very professional - nothing but a cattle call with at least 30 people "interviewing" at the same time.
    The managers meet with more than one person at a time. Ask questions in front of another perspective employee - very awkward!
    I said no to did I get an offer. I did not stay to hear their "Deal". IF the manager cannot speak to me in private to learn about me. I am not interested in their company. I am also not interested in completing a personalty test for a company that herds 30 people to an "interview", when there is no prior disclosure that it is a cattle call and not an interview at all. VERY MISLEADING!!!

Interview Questions
    • They do not ask you any questions. The manager says this is just an information session for you to learn about the company, but you are told by a recruiter that you have an interview for the position, when you are just really going to a cattle call information session.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Income Life in November 2014.

I've never been more infuriated in my life. I applied for the job through Linkedin. It was recommended to me. I got a phone call the next day from a nice lady. She said the job started at $90,000 a year, offered health benefits, 401k, company stock, etc. etc. I thought it sounded great and since I've been out of work for three months now I accepted an interview. I drove 45 minutes to this place. When I showed up, there were about 30 other people also interviewing. The position was not for manager, but rather a sales position. Commission based. The lady on the phone had lied to me. They aren't offering me a 401k or health insurance. They won't even pay you company stock. They wanted me to work 8:00am to 9:45am (40 hours a week) for my training and not even pay me. That's a scam.

The job is a scam.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Income Life in November 2014.

I was contacted through an online Job board, where they had seen my resume. I went in for my scheduled interview, spoke to 2 different interviewers. The first part of the interview went over my previous experience, and asked questions about myself. This was pretty quick. I was then told to advance to the briefing room where 5 other individuals were waiting. Another male was there to speak to us about the company and what we would expect once hired. I felt very drawn to the idea of making so much money, I havent started yet. The briefing took about 1.5hrs. I spoke to the secretary as I was leaving and she told me they would contact me if they saw me fit for the final/hiring interview.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know what type of person we are looking to hire?   Answer Question

Life Only Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Income Life.

The hiring process started out with me receiving an email about a job opportunity with a Labor Union. Walked into the waiting room to be interviewed along side several others and I had to refill out everything again on paper that I had already filled out online. I was told to come in at let's say noon, and wasn't interviewed til the order of when I was able to turn in the previously mentioned papers. The interviewing process was rushed because of the amount of people in the waiting room and after about three to four minutes into the interview I was asked if I wanted to stay for the next stage of the hiring process. No mention of the labor union or anything I studied about the company was asked of me (because the advertisement for the job was totally different then what they were actually hiring for). Despite this, several other colleagues and I continued to the next part of the hiring process and come to find out this was a sales job with great potential to make a decent to great income! They sent us home after filling out a couple short answer survey questions and a scenario questionnaire. Later that day they called those who I guess passed and asked us to come in for a second interview. At the second interview I saw only a handful of the people that were at the initial interview alongside many new faces; assuming a new batch of interviewees. Just another red flag, why did they need so many new people just having interviewed so many the week before? SO I went through to the second interview about an hour after I was told to be there and was hired. All in all it was an uncomfortable/odd/rushed/confused interviewing process and with them being sales people, they were able to convince me to take on a totally different job then what I had initially thought I was being interviewed for.

Interview Questions
    • They will read directly off what you put down on the questionnaire. So if you were to put, "I'm a hard worker.", you may be asked to give an example of when being a hard worker paid off for you. I don't believe they're trained in the interviewing or hiring process, so they're pretty basic interview questions. But that was my experience, I don't know what other managers there would ask. I'd assume the same thing of most of them though.   Answer Question
    Advice I'd give to other people is if you are set on a pure commissions based job, and willing to work very long hours to get a lot of money then go for it! It wasn't my type of work and I felt like I was deceiving those that I would be selling to. There are more riches in this world then the almighty dollar sign; didn't want to go against my morals just for monetary gain.

Receptionist/Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Income Life.

I received a phone call stating that the office in Chamblee found my resume on CareerBuilder. The young lady told me they would like to interview me for a marketing or receptionist position and she believed I would be perfect for the job. I specifically asked her if this was a sales position as I am not interested in that aspect of marketing. She assured me several times that this position was nothing of the sort and that I would not need to worry. So, I happily set-up an interview even though I live much further out than the location of the "potential" job. When I arrived it looked like it was a casting call! There were tons of people waiting to be "interviewed" for a position. When a young man called me into the office the first question he asked me was "Do you have any felonies?" I was taken aback by the question and knew right away I made a mistake wasting my time. Not only did he ask me if I had any felonies, he tried to ask me if I wanted to be a sales person even though I was clearly told I would be interviewed for a marketing/ receptionist position. I'm not sure if this is culture of the entire organization, but the Chamblee branch put a BAD taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

This is not the position I was supposed to be interviewed for.

Managing General Agent Interview

Fast interview, then taken into a group interview which is where you hear about the company. Majority of the time is spent talking about how much one will earn but little focus on your position. Its hard when you can't ask questions but remember to bring a note pad to take notes but listen to the fine line. Hard work, leading others and you will be paid but after you pay out for the licensing?

After reading reviews its a commission based & have a family to support.

Health Benefit Union Representative Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Income Life.

First round of interview was an information session. If you're interested in the position you would leave your phone number back. If they are interested in your they will you a phone call back that day of for the second and final interview to see if you fit with the company.