American Income Life

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

1.7

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Income Life in September 2014.

I was cold-called by a woman named "Stephanie" who said they had "customer service and management openings in response to a resume I put on Craigslist.

She went on to ask me some general questions about my career and where I wanted to take it. But it struck me as a bit odd that her responses were to paraphrase what I had said into what seemed like a very 'canned" format. Ignoring my details and fixating on buzzwords. We scheduled an in-person interview the next day.

I searched for details about the business. She called it "The Toshner Group". Which lead me to "American Income Life" which had the exact same address in Montlake Terrace, WA that she had given me.

I found an overwhelming amount of evidence that it is in fact a bait-and-switch sales job.

If I want to do sales I will do it with a more reputable company or start my own business. I called American Income Life back and left them a voicemail telling them I was declining to continue the interview process.

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Income Life in September 2014.

I had submitted my resume to CareerBuilder looking for employment opportunities in a different field. A day or two later I received a phone call from American Income stating they had seen my resume posted and were interested in setting up a one-on-one meeting with me to discuss a potential position within their company. I was hesitant because I hadn't actually sent in any application for them, but I scheduled one anyway because, well, an interview is an interview. When I arrived there were at least 15-20 other people in the office filling out paperwork the receptionist had given them, and then we were called in two at a time to speak with one of their employees. The woman I went with barely looked at my resume, asked one or two questions about the job I was currently working with, then passed both I and my interview partner off to the "second interview," which was actually a large group PowerPoint presentation where a couple of women talked at length about how wonderful their company was and how fast they were growing and how high the earning potential was without actually giving me any concrete information as to what the job would specifically entail or what positions we would be hired for. Then each candidate got a couple of minutes to explain why they should be called back for the final stage of the interview. You could tell that lots of people in that room had been out of work for quite some time and the recruiter didn't actually seem to be interested in our answers at all, other than occasionally making a comment between candidates that she really hoped we would all be called back because we seemed like good people. Barely a couple hours after I left, I got a call from one of the other recruiters inviting me back for the final interview and I accepted, but became very uneasy about it as the day went on, and the next day I called to cancel. I could not get ahold of a single living person through their office line and ended up having to leave a message. Within the next few days I got not one but two phone calls from their office asking why I hadn't shown up to my interview and when I explained what had happened, they asked if I would like to reschedule. What kind of legitimate company calls to reschedule an interview that has been cancelled by the one actually looking for a job?

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. There were barely any questions at all, in fact.   Answer Question

The whole set up seemed very off to me. When I arrived and throughout the interview process it seemed like they were looking to contract as many people as possible rather than actually being concerned about the quality of the candidates they were interviewing.

Benefits Representative Interview

I received a general call from this company because I had put my resume out there. I knew that this was an insurance company, and wasn't expecting the call to last long. The woman on the line told me about two open positions, "Team Manager" and "Benefits Representative". Shooting on my hunch I told them I had zero interest in selling insurance directly, and I tell you the woman on the line could not have hung up quicker. Don't get false hope up if you're applying hoping it's something different.

"Insurance Producer" (Actually Agent) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Bell, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Bell, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Income Life in September 2014.

I was contacted by this company claiming they got my resume of Monster.com. They assured me that I was interviewing for a salaried position. I was also given a false name (American Insurance Health) so that I couldn't look up this company on websites like Glassdoor. They can't fake an address though which is how I found out the company's real name. I've read many similar reviews where this company actually doesn't give out any name (I only got a fake one because I asked). Of course the interview was for a commission only "producer" which is the same as a sales agent. They also promised a "guarenteed commission" of $500-$700 a week without mentioning the quota you need to reach to get that falsely named "guaranteed commission" DO NOT EVEN TAKE AN INTERVIEW. They don't mislead you, THEY FLAT OUT LIE TO YOU. and many more lies come at the interview.

Interview Questions

I was smart enough to read reviews on this site first!

Benefits Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Income Life in September 2014.

Got a call stating I had applied for a benefits coordinator posting with their company. Told to dress in business professional. Arrived and was given a very general question sheet about how to influence behavior. Met with a representative for 5 minutes. He asked me why I was back on job market. Told him I currently had position at which point he cut me off and said that they had an information meeting in 10 minutes that they wanted me to attend. Went into meeting and was told "hours are nights and weekends so if you need to cook dinner for your husband this job isn't for you." After listening and being told that if you sell two policies a week you can make $985 a week in money I knew that this was a total BS sales job. I specifically have never applied to a sales job. The posting that I applied for was a misrepresentation. After the sexist statement and the commission statement I got up and left the room, which I realized as I walked out that 5 other people had done the same.

Interview Questions
    • What concerns do you or your spouse have about this position?   Answer Question

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covina, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covina, CA

I applied online – interviewed at American Income Life in September 2014.

I was contacted by a lady indicating I had answered an ad on Craig's List for this open position, and scheduled an interview for the next morning. I traveled the 30 miles to their office in Covina, CA. I walked into the their office and there were 10 other candidates. Turns out, there was no Manager Trainee position. They basically want people to sale life insurance door to door, all commission!

Interview Questions

This position was nothing like what they portrayed to me on the phone.

Administrative/Personal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Income Life in September 2014.

I did not apply for a position with this company. They called me saying they had found my resume online, and thought I would be a good fit with their company. I asked them the company name and was told Panzer Group. I asked what they did, because this company name was not familiar to me, and they told me they worked with schools/teachers to offer them insurance. I asked what role I would be interviewing for and was told they had a few positions open that were receptionist/administrative assistant type positions. I agreed to interview, and set up a date 2 days after their call.

Later that day, I had some free time so decided to do some research and gather information for my interview. Upon doing so, I found that this is a common practice for this company. They call or e-mail saying they found you here or there, and then offer you some random job (in my case the resume they found was one I loaded to a website for an administrative assistant position). Then you go in and find this position is not available and you'll be doing door to door cold insurance sales. They also want for you to recruit as I found this is a pyramid deal as well. Since they are selling a real product, it is a legal pyramid 'scheme'. I called to cancel, but could not reach anyone, so I 'missed' my interview. They called the day of my interview and asked to reschedule. I'm sorry but a real opportunity is not likely to allow you to reschedule an interview unless you were hospitalized or your next of kin was dead or dying. More red flags to me, and I'm so glad I did my research and didn't walk into this uncomfortable situation.

Interview Questions
    • They did ask that if I had a spouse that I bring him a packet. I thought this was very odd. Why should my spouse be part of my interview process?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Income Life in September 2014.

It's a waste of time. They try to make it seem like you are applying for a general management position but really when it comes down to it, it is just a sales position. I had to sit through a 3-hour interview to find out later that it was not even for the job I thought it was. They used the interview to try to sell their company. I had to call them later and ask in-depth questions to get to the point that it was really just a sales position that I was applying for (they try very hard to not say that).

Interview Questions

I believe this company is misleading and manipulative. I wouldn't want to work for that kind of company.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at American Income Life.

The interview process began in a classroom setting with the manager speaking to the group for 2 hours. She came very extensive information about the sales position, salary and products. It seems that AIL will train for a 2 week period and also give hands on training. The interview process was 2 interviews which were relaxed and organized. AIL looks to be an up and coming company that would be a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • AIS has an incredible salary compensation. Would you like to earn unlimited amounts of income?   View Answer

Benefits Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Income Life in September 2014.

Actual first interview is less than 5 minutes, afterwards you are asked to sit in the conference room and wait for a presentation by a higher up who promises you thousands of dollars per week.