American Income Life

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Wexford, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at American Income Life in May 2012.

Interview Details – I first talked with the recruiter about the management trainee position. She told me a little bit about the company and what they do and then told me about the trainee position. She basically said I would be trained to manage a group of people. The only question I had was about sales. She assured me that this was not a sales position so I decided to go to the interview. The initial one on one was not even with the person I was scheduled with. It lasted about 5 minutes and the girl just asked about strengths, weaknesses, and how competitive I was. After that I was sent into a room with about 25 other people. I had to sit through a presentation about how the consisted of going to peoples' houses selling them insurance. This presentation lasted about one hour. As soon as it was done I, along with about 8 other people, walked out. This whole interview process was such a waste of time!! If you don't want to be in sales, do not go to this interview.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – They lied to me about what the job was.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Income Life in January 2012.

Interview Details – I found the position on the State of Indiana's Career website and applied. I applied on January 19th and received a phone call on the 23rd asking if I would like to interview for the management position on the 25th. I said yes and was given an interview time, told to bring a copy of my resume, paper and pen.

When I showed up for my interview there were 10 other in the waiting area already. Six more arrived after me and soon after I had a one on one interview with a manager. Not the person I was told I would be interviewing with.

But anyway the interview went well and seemed like a normal interview until It was explained to me that there are basically 4 phases of the interview process. The first being a one on one that I had just completed followed by a presentation If felt interested in continuing the interview process. I said sure, as I didn't have any other appointment to get to so why not.

I was taken to a room where most of the people who I had seen in the waiting area were sitting. It felt strange as they had gotten there before me and while i was in my interview had somehow already gone through the one on one also and where already waiting for the presentation.

I sat at the front and waited while the other applicants finished and came in. While we were waiting we were handed what amounted to a personality test which I filled out.

We where first shown a very glamourous video presentation showing the CEO of the company talking at a conference and then the shining stars in the company that have excelled very quickly with the company. It was very hollywood-esque with great music, editing and announcer.

After we finished watching the video a young lady came in and proceeded to give a powerpoint presentation explaining what the company does, who they work for and what the goals of the company are. Then she explained what our role would be. That if we were chosen for the position that we would start out at the bottom and after 2 - 6 months would be in some sort of management role. But we would still be continuing our weekly duties. And if we were successful after a year we could advance to even higher levels of management and so on as far as we wanted if we were successful at our position.

We were then handed a questionar that basically amounted to why we should be picked for the position. I started filling it out as I didn't want to be the first one out of the room. But once a few had left I got up without finishing the form. I declined to give the 2 forms to the receptionist and informed her that I was not interested in continuing. That this was not the type of job I was expecting and did not see myself fitting into what they wanted as a candidate.

The people were very up beat and happy. Friendly and polite to interview with only one exception. When we were being presented with the info about the company one lady at the back fell assleep and was snoring. The presenter ask the person next to her to wake her. The lady apologized and said I work nights. The presenter said that was fine you can leave now. I can see both sides of this and am neutral on the way it was handled. The feeling I got from the experience was that if your "one of them" so to speek then its a great company and a great environment to work in. But you have to be "One of them" ie be someone who has all of the 7 C's, which was something that was explained in the presentation.

Interview Question – I don't recall there being any I felt were difficult to answer or un expected.   View Answer

Cincinnati, OH

The process took a day - interviewed at American Income Life in January 2012.

Interview Details – I received a call from someone within the company who had mentioned that they had seen my resume. To begin with the "phone interview" was less like an interview and more like a sales pitch. I was still undecided if the company was legitimate or not so I decided to go ahead and visit for a 1:1 interview. Again the interview was more of a sales pitch for a pyramid scheme than a legitimate company. They offered me to reschedule for a presentation, but I decided not to waste more of my time.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Grand Rapids, MI

The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Income Life in August 2010.

Interview Details – I received a call on Tuesday that the manager had reviewed my resume and wanted me to come in for an interview. I accepted and we scheduled for 11am on Wednesday. I waited outside the door of the office (which was vacant) for 5-10 minutes until they showed up. We walked inside with about 5 others who were all scheduled for the same time. There were two employees of AIL who handed out applications to fill out then we went in to talk to them for about two minutes. They looked over my resume while asking a few general questions then gave me a rundown of how the process worked. First the one on one interview which i was currently in. Then if they liked what they seen I would move on to a presentation of the company. After that they would discuss who they wanted to come back for a third interview which was the very next day and in their words would be a hiring interview. I made it through the presentation and they called me back later that day. I was disappointed in the fact that they were so unprofessional and were advertising for a management trainee but the real position was bottom level outside sales.

Interview Question – Would you be in a position to pay the 295 for insurance licensing tomorrow to get started?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was disappointed in the fact that they were so unprofessional and were advertising for a management trainee but the real position was bottom level outside sales. It all seemed to me like they were people farming and trying to get as many people underneath them sent out to make them money. The two guys that were there to their credit were very nice but there was just something about it I didn't like.

Management Trainee

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Income Life in August 2011.

Interview Details – First did a one on one interview with the manager of the office and he told me the interview was a three part interview, first with him, then a group interview where we learn more about the company, and then a third interview with an executive. The first interview was very casual, he talked about himself and his history with the company mostly. After the first interview he asked me if I had time to stay for the second interview and I did. I was then brought to a small presentation room where a few other candidates were already seated, and was given a personality test to take. After about an hour we were given a presentation which consisted of a video on the company, and a bit more of the manager describing his experience with the company. It was explained here that there are no cold calls, but meetings with clients are conducted in the clients' homes, not in office. After this presentation, we were all told that we would be contacted later that night for a follow up. When I was leaving the office I ran into a newly hired employee leaving and asked him how he liked his position - he basically described the position as okay for what it was, easy, not much to it. Just something to do, but the people were nice. I was contacted later for the final interview but declined.

Interview Question – What are you looking to achieve in your career?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was uncomfortable with going in to clients homes to sell, and the job was strictly commission based and all sales - not what was marketed in the online job posting.

Worked for American Income Life? Contribute to the Community!