American Income Life Manager In Training Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.0

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Income Life in March 2015.

I replied to a Craigslist post and sent in my resume and a very brief cover letter (because their post was so vague it didn't give me a whole lot to go on). They called me back within two hours and after a 3-minute conversation in which I said the magic words "looking for a long-term career," they scheduled me for an interview the next day. They still hadn't told me what the company was, but I did some Googling that I'm pretty proud of, figured out who they were and read up on them so that I'd be prepared.

At that interview, I waited with several other people for about half an hour, talked to a guy alone for about 5 minutes, then they sent me into a group interview. They showed us a few videos about the company, a whole lot of spin about how this is the best insurance company ever and they're all about helping people (which may or may not be true, according to varying reviews I've seen), asked a few questions in the group setting (which they had already set up to be "competitive"), and explained a lot of the perks/benefits/pay structure. Then they pulled us back out one at a time for another <5-minute one-on-one conversation; I again said some magic words (some stuff about being competitive) and they scheduled me for a "fourth-round interview" (apparently the phone call was 1, the first 5-min conversation was 2, and the group was 3, and they expect 5 total) for the following day.

They really emphasized the money you can make there if you're competitive enough, and especially the passive income on the management track, but it's important to know that ALL of their management positions start out with being an on-the-road, door to door insurance sales person. From what I could tell it doesn't involve cold-calling, but still - I don't have a car, don't want to spend my life on the road, and even though I'm pretty sure that I could play their game really well I don't particularly want to sell my soul in order to do it.

I'd call the interview process long but easy. Many rounds, but at each one you pretty much just have to show that you have a pulse and that you're willing to parrot back their keywords. I didn't go back for the fourth-round interview because I'd decided it's not the job for me and didn't want to waste any more of my time or theirs.

Other Interview Reviews for American Income Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online – interviewed at American Income Life in August 2014.

There is a multi-step interview process. But I was told this over the phone and during my first interview.

My over the phone interview was positive which was the reason I came in. Following that, I met with a member of the senior staff who took about 1/2 hour for our interview. Which to me seemed normal. I was invited to the next step of the interview process where I did learn a great deal about the company, its values and the services it provides. I was invited back to meet with the partner of the firm and was offered and accepted the position. I can see by reading through the posts below that some people didn't have the same positive experience as I had. With that said, I thought I would share my experience as it was different and feel as though the company and people at the company are bright, positive and successful. For me, it was a good fit. .

Interview Questions
    • Knowing that we all have areas of improvement, what would mine be at this time.   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Income Life.

I received a call after posting my resume on various boards. I asked what the position was for and they said it was a management in training position. I looked into the company and was skeptical but went anyways.

I arrived for the interview and was given a questionnaire for personality traits and to gauge interest in the position. I walked in the room with several other candidates and the gentleman told me it was for a management position. The first half of the process was a presentation. The presentation was of how much money you could make by commission and by getting people under you-Pyramid Scheme. They loosely covered the product but then claimed you would be making 1k-5k a week starting out minimum. I doubt this is true because if it were they wouldn't have to recruit so aggressively. There was a five minute follow up interview with a manager followed by time for my own questions. This position turned out to be a sales position where you were responsible for your own start up costs and was paid entirely on comission with an unpaid training/shadowing period.

I recieved a call back in the afternoon for a follow up interview. This was on a Tuesday afternoon and they wanted mid-morning within the next two days. I declined those days because I am a Catering Operator and had contractual obligations for an event. I gave a list of other times that were close The Lady on the phone got very rude and said she would expect me to be more eager.. I declined follow up interview I would expect a company that truly values it's candidates to take their current obligations to customers seriously. Glad I got this sign early and dodged that bullet.

Smelled Fishy

Anonymous Employee in Pelham, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Pelham, AL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Income Life in July 2013.

Went in for the "interview" where the head of the branch gave a presentation selling the company to me and about 15 other people. Very inspirational stuff... The words "once in a lifetime opportunity" were being thrown around like beads at Mardi Gras. I went in for the real interview the next day where the guy immediately asked if I had any questions.. I'm like "who's giving the interview here?" Anyway, I ask my questions, meanwhile his gaze is so intense and unflinching that I'm starting to feel extremely uncomfortable. Then he asks me a couple questions like "why should I hire you?" and this guy is making me so nervous that I completely bomb this interview. Anyway, he offered me the job and the only thing missing was confetti being shot out of the ceiling - 3 different people came in, shook my hand and told me with a big fake smile, "Congratulations!" I'm stunned that I got the job at this point and really feel like something weird is going on. Long story short, I google this company (which is what I should have done before even wasting my time with them) and find out it's a pyramid scheme. They don't care who they hire, they just want as many people working for them as possible so make as much money as they can. I'll spare you the details, just google it and you'll see. The entire experience left me feeling discouraged and with little faith in humanity... But I've got an interview with a legitimate company in 2 days so all is forgiven. What I learned out of all this - DON'T LOOK FOR JOBS ON CRAIG'S LIST!!

Interview Questions
    • Only a couple questions and they were as generic as they come.   Answer Question

I actually accepted, but before I started filling out the paperwork, I googled the company. Then I got the hell out of there and didn't look back!

Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Income Life in June 2011.

It was a joke. I went to the interview and then I was given a form to fill out. It was a form disguised to do a sort of personality test. Once I finished filling out the form, I was called in with a group of job seekers and their was an individual who proceeded to a group interview. Well, there was no one on one interview and the guy actually congratulated us for getting to the third stage of the interview; which seems odd because there was never a first stage.

He went on to explain the entire process and from the information I collected, the majority of those working for the insurance company at that location have been there for less than a year which seems strange to me. The presentation highlighted what we were going to do; basically going to peoples' house and selling our insurance products. Well, I was not interested because the "successful" would be paid based on the number of people he/she is able to sign on. It was a total joke and they basically want to hire anyone to do this job. The "joke" interview process was simply a procedure and the job is all about selling insurance product. Just note that if you want to work form 1-9 p.m and sometimes on weekend without even knowing if you were going to be able to sign on one person... good luck.

The job was a joke.