American Income Life

Average Difficulty
28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Income Life in July 2013.

Interview Details – AIL makes a big effort to hire new people (with high turn-over rates), so as long as you meet the simple basic requirements, you should join the team fast. The process takes 2-3 days (same week) and I felt like AIL was trying to convince me to join the team, more than I was trying to make them hire me. Being a 100% commission based income the risk and costs to having more employees is low (for them - the more the merrier).

Interview Question – Are you willing to be working 2-3 months until you see your first paycheck?
and are you able to pay for the tests you need to take to get the license?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible

Bangor, ME

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at American Income Life in December 2013.

Interview Details – They bring you to the office for an Interview, they put you in a room with several people and the guy tells you how much money he makes selling insurances the. Gives falls numbers to tell customers to get them to purchase more life insurance,

Interview Question – When I was called for the interview after they found my résumé on line, it was 90 min away, I asked where the job would be, I was told I would work from home, at the interview I was told my training would be 90 min away for 6 weeks, 9am to 11pmI had to pay for all of my training materials and testing. Then be working 90 min away in another city   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I didn't like the feeling I got from him and the distance was not doable

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Income Life in October 2013.

Interview Details – The biggest problem I had interviewing with Michael Yancovich's team was that they were very sneaky about the whole process. I responded to a very vague ad online, they called me in for an interview and said it was one on one, then I show up to a room full of 20 people answering questionnaires. Not what I was expecting at all. Then I try to ask what job the position was for, they kept putting me off like "we'll get to that later, first we need to determine your skills, now sit through this very vague presentation." I didn't last through the presentation because it was just a waste of time, obviously it wasn't a marketing position as I'd come in for, it was a sales agent position being disguised as something else. If you have to disguise the job that bad, it must suck or not be for everyone.

Interview Question – Are you an entrepreneur?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They seemed to eager and it was all commission based. A lot of room for failure if you're not already calling the shots.

Melbourne, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Income Life in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was called because they found my resume off the internet and although I had no sales experience they were interested in my leadership skills more then anything else. I went in for the interview and I could tell it was a brand new office which excited me! I had an Interview with Chad Mclaughlin but ended up interviewing with Jonathan Hanaway because chad was in an interview with someone else at the time. The first interview was pretty brief and I was called back the same day for a second interview. On my second interview they answered all the questions I had in great detail and I was hired!

Interview Question – Are you comfortable with working on just commission?   View Answer

Middletown, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Income Life in May 2013.

Interview Details – Called in for an unsolicited interview after they "noticed my resume on Monster". Showed up and they didn't have my resume, taken to the back by a "screener". After being asked a few basic questions, they then put me in a room with 15 other individuals and began a presentation on their company. They basically try to hire anyone that walks in the door (regardless of anything) to sell for them.

Reason for Declining – Read the reviews of their company on here. They are either clearly being posted by the managers to try to cover a bad image, because the few REAL reviews paint a very scary picture of what it entails to work for this company.

La Crosse, WI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Income Life in February 2013.

Interview Details – I got selected from Career builder and was called for a screening interview and company information. They asked basic questions like why sales? strengths and weaknesses and then said they have a session organized for company information. The session was of 30 mins and was more of a general insurance overview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to switch from technical background to sales?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Found the company and the profile not so reliable

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Income Life in February 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty upbeat and informative. Had an former offensive linemen to give the presentation of the company and what they had to offer. He was engaging with the group and kept it pretty flowing with his power point presentation. Filled out the customary application and have a 10 min one on one interview.

Interview Question – Question was about if you had to choose a free seminar on a career path. Wether you had to take a seminar on how to structure your career or choose a seminar that shows you what career path to take.   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at American Income Life in February 2013.

Interview Details – Wasn't so much of an interview as a presentation to a group of 20 or so prospective employees. It felt like a timeshare presentation. The setting made me think that they'll take absolutely anyone willing to do the job. The "interviewer" didn't ever say that all the positions they have are 100% commission based; I had to ask.

Interview Question – Didn't ask any questions at all. It was a presentation and breakdown of the company, sales pitch, and commission structure.   Answer Question

Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at American Income Life in December 2012.

Interview Details – They called me to schedule an interview and I have never heard of the company. Seems like a company I would work for. Interview was fairly quick and then they transfered me to a group inteview. It was more of a company overview that took a little too long but answers most ,if not all, questions. Had a little quiz and a personality test and done.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working 50-60 hrs a week?   Answer Question

Little Rock, AR

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Income Life in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by someone who said the MGA found my resume on Monster. I was asked a few questions and then set for an interview. I was given vague information when I asked which company the agency represented and only told the agency name.
I arrived early as asked, and was surprised to see the number of people in the lobby. (about 10 additional) We were asked to go into a conference room where we were shown a presentation of the company and given information on the compensation structure. We were told to complete a questionairre(personality test) and then were each called into a 1 on 1 interview.
I expected the 1 on 1 to be more professional and detail oriented, giving information about my past work experience and able to ask questions about the job, however the man that interviewed me only asked "if I would have issues obtaining a license" (I have a non resident lic as I just reloc to the state) and "what questions do you have about the presentatin you just heard?"
I asked how long he had been with the company and he said 2 years(funny out of the 6 people I met everyone had 2 or less years tenure, except the MGA who did the presentation, he said he had 12. Also the person that called me back to answer my questions said he also had 12 years with AIL
After I asked him if he had even looked at my resume, and gave it to him, he turned to page 2 and mentioned one company I worked for then, asked if I had questions about the presentation.
I asked questions I had and he could not answer them stating he would have someone contact me. Affter about 15 min I ended the interview.
I was contacted shortly by the man that said he referred my resume, and he answered my questions, and told me I wouldnt need to go through the next process just to let him know when I could start and gave me the dates.

Interview Question – Would I have a problem obtaining the licenses? (I have been lic 19 yrs and am licensed in 49 states as is listed on my resume)   View Answer

Reason for Declining – As an insurance professional, this company did not represnt itself as a legitimate company in terms of agents, and professionalism. All agents are going to be 1099 but they never tell you that until you are in the 1 on 1. Also, they just get as many people in to interview as possible and if you have the funds or can obtain them to get the license, they pass you along to the next phase and hire you. I can only assume from my experience that they have a high attrition rate as over half the people I met were under 2 years tenure. And 12 year tenure for the other 2 people, seems odd... only 2 or 12 year tenured people. That sounds staged.

Worked for American Income Life? Contribute to the Community!