American Income Life Sales Agent Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2015

1.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Little Rock, AR) in January 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by someone who said the MGA found my resume on Monster. I was asked a few questions and then set for an interview. I was given vague information when I asked which company the agency represented and only told the agency name. I arrived early as asked, and was surprised to see the number of people in the lobby. (about 10 additional) We were asked to go into a conference room where we were shown a presentation of the company and given information on the compensation structure. We were told to complete a questionairre(personality test) and then were each called into a 1 on 1 interview. I expected the 1 on 1 to be more professional and detail oriented, giving information about my past work experience and able to ask questions about the job, however the man that interviewed me only asked "if I would have issues obtaining a license" (I have a non resident lic as I just reloc to the state) and "what questions do you have about the presentatin you just heard?" I asked how long he had been with the company and he said 2 years(funny out of the 6 people I met everyone had 2 or less years tenure, except the MGA who did the presentation, he said he had 12. Also the person that called me back to answer my questions said he also had 12 years with AIL After I asked him if he had even looked at my resume, and gave it to him, he turned to page 2 and mentioned one company I worked for then, asked if I had questions about the presentation. I asked questions I had and he could not answer them stating he would have someone contact me. Affter about 15 min I ended the interview. I was contacted shortly by the man that said he referred my resume, and he answered my questions, and told me I wouldnt need to go through the next process just to let him know when I could start and gave me the dates.

Interview Questions

• Would I have a problem obtaining the licenses? (I have been lic 19 yrs and am licensed in 49 states as is listed on my resume)   1 Answer

As an insurance professional, this company did not represnt itself as a legitimate company in terms of agents, and professionalism. All agents are going to be 1099 but they never tell you that until you are in the 1 on 1. Also, they just get as many people in to interview as possible and if you have the funds or can obtain them to get the license, they pass you along to the next phase and hire you. I can only assume from my experience that they have a high attrition rate as over half the people I met were under 2 years tenure. And 12 year tenure for the other 2 people, seems odd... only 2 or 12 year tenured people. That sounds staged.

Other Interview Reviews for American Income Life

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

AIL makes a big effort to hire new people (with high turn-over rates), so as long as you meet the simple basic requirements, you should join the team fast. The process takes 2-3 days (same week) and I felt like AIL was trying to convince me to join the team, more than I was trying to make them hire me. Being a 100% commission based income the risk and costs to having more employees is low (for them - the more the merrier).

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to be working 2-3 months until you see your first paycheck? and are you able to pay for the tests you need to take to get the license?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation possible

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I interviewed at American Income Life in October 2013.

Interview

No real interview, you go in and they pitch the company to you. Not once was I asked a question about myself. They also did not go over my resume or my contacts. You can tell that they are salesmen because they tried to sell the company so hard. It all seemed to good to be true, so err on the side of caution.

Interview Questions

• No real questions, they just asked if I was excited about the company and about the opportunity to work there.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Middletown, CT) in May 2013.

Interview

Called in for an unsolicited interview after they "noticed my resume on Monster". Showed up and they didn't have my resume, taken to the back by a "screener". After being asked a few basic questions, they then put me in a room with 15 other individuals and began a presentation on their company. They basically try to hire anyone that walks in the door (regardless of anything) to sell for them.

Read the reviews of their company on here. They are either clearly being posted by the managers to try to cover a bad image, because the few REAL reviews paint a very scary picture of what it entails to work for this company.

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Melbourne, FL) in June 2013.

Interview

I was called because they found my resume off the internet and although I had no sales experience they were interested in my leadership skills more then anything else. I went in for the interview and I could tell it was a brand new office which excited me! I had an Interview with Chad Mclaughlin but ended up interviewing with Jonathan Hanaway because chad was in an interview with someone else at the time. The first interview was pretty brief and I was called back the same day for a second interview. On my second interview they answered all the questions I had in great detail and I was hired!

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with working on just commission?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by phone, then a 1 on 1 interview, then a group interview, then another one-on-one interview, than one more interview. The group interview was a competitive interview in which you need to stand out if you wish to make it to the next stage in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• What makes you better than your peers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Income Life (Denver, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

It was extremely easy. I set them an email through craigslist, and they responded that day and gave me an interview the following day. The interview didn't feel as much like an interview as it did like a seminar. Really they didn't ask me much, but explained what their company is like instead.

Interview Questions

• What is one way you'd describe yourself that isn't listed on your resume?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

I had submitted my resume to CareerBuilder looking for employment opportunities in a different field. A day or two later I received a phone call from American Income stating they had seen my resume posted and were interested in setting up a one-on-one meeting with me to discuss a potential position within their company. I was hesitant because I hadn't actually sent in any application for them, but I scheduled one anyway because, well, an interview is an interview. When I arrived there were at least 15-20 other people in the office filling out paperwork the receptionist had given them, and then we were called in two at a time to speak with one of their employees. The woman I went with barely looked at my resume, asked one or two questions about the job I was currently working with, then passed both I and my interview partner off to the "second interview," which was actually a large group PowerPoint presentation where a couple of women talked at length about how wonderful their company was and how fast they were growing and how high the earning potential was without actually giving me any concrete information as to what the job would specifically entail or what positions we would be hired for. Then each candidate got a couple of minutes to explain why they should be called back for the final stage of the interview. You could tell that lots of people in that room had been out of work for quite some time and the recruiter didn't actually seem to be interested in our answers at all, other than occasionally making a comment between candidates that she really hoped we would all be called back because we seemed like good people. Barely a couple hours after I left, I got a call from one of the other recruiters inviting me back for the final interview and I accepted, but became very uneasy about it as the day went on, and the next day I called to cancel. I could not get ahold of a single living person through their office line and ended up having to leave a message. Within the next few days I got not one but two phone calls from their office asking why I hadn't shown up to my interview and when I explained what had happened, they asked if I would like to reschedule. What kind of legitimate company calls to reschedule an interview that has been cancelled by the one actually looking for a job?

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. There were barely any questions at all, in fact.   Answer Question

The whole set up seemed very off to me. When I arrived and throughout the interview process it seemed like they were looking to contract as many people as possible rather than actually being concerned about the quality of the candidates they were interviewing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Londonderry, NH

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life (Londonderry, NH) in August 2010.

Interview

I received a call from AIL that they found my resume online and wanted to interview me for a sales position. They set up the interview for the next day at their Londonderry office. I arrived for a 9:15 interview at 9:06, to a packed waiting area, with people filling out applications. I was asked to fill out an application, and then a manager would see me. I was called into a small conference room, where the regional director briefly looked at the application and my resume, and asked very few questions. The receptionist then lead me to a larger conference room with about 12 other people, where were given a presentation about the company and asked to fill out a personality test. The product seemed reasonable enough, but the requirements were absurd. We would be a 1099 contractor, responsible for the use of our own cell phone, laptop, and vehicle without any reimbursement. Travel would be all over the state of NH with hours consisting of nights and weekends. We were required to get our insurance license through the state of NH, which totaled $400, without reimbursement. Later we were told they would want us to receive our license in Maine and Massachusetts, which would be an additional $290 every two years. Salary appeared to be 100% commission based, but he couldn't explain the details because it was "very complicated." There were no direct benefits because of the 1099, but they would provide information on providers we could use. The whole process was supposed to take 15 minutes, and it turned into 2 hours of wasted time.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the direct mail response rate is on average?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Income Life in May 2010.

Interview

I came in for the interview and found out once there that it was a group interview with about 6-7 canidates. In round one they described the company and position a bit and told us they would bring back top 2-4 canidates for round two, but they didnt really ask any question to of us to see who would be in the top. round two consisted of the same guy going into more detail about the product and how easy it was to sell and how there was no cold calling which is only partially true. they had me come back the next day to have a one on one. there the guy told me i had the job and would have to pay 200 buck for a book and a class and 80 bucks for tests to get my license.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiations...pure comission