American Institutes for Research

Updated Jan 8, 2015
Updated Jan 8, 2015

2.9

Psychometric Support/Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in November 2014.

I applied for the research assistant position through the AIR website and was contacted by HR via phone. The interview process started with a phone screening, where I was told about the company, what the position entailed, and asked about my expectations (what I wanted, salary, etc.). Very very basic stuff just to make sure I was interested.

After the phone screening, I was invited for an in-person interview at the office in D.C. I met with NINE people. First, the HR rep that I had spoken with on the phone, then I was shuffled from office to office to meet almost everyone on the team that held the same or similar job role as I was interviewing for. It was really unorganized. These people were NOT trained interviewers. They were literally just told that I was coming in and given a list of generic interview questions (i.e. What is your greatest strength? Weakness?) to ask me. They were really cool, and I enjoyed talking to them, but they were definitely uncomfortable "interviewing" me. It struck me as really odd. Especially, when I asked them how conflicts were managed in the workplace and they responded with, "Oh, we don't really have conflicts here..." Come on. There is ALWAYS some amount of conflict. But the layout of the office was pretty sequestered (two to an office room), so it seems like they have very little interaction with each other. And most communication seems to be through email. So, perhaps they do have little conflict.

After meeting a whole string of people, I met with the final HR liaison who went over salary and benefits, like parking. The starting salary was REALLY low, $38,000. I asked for higher, and I have a year's worth of experience in education. I asked when I would be hearing about a decision, and was told that I should know by the end of the following week.

Two weeks went by and I heard nothing. So, I emailed my HR rep from the very beginning. He said that they had to schedule two interviews for the following week, so I should know the week following. I waited some more... Waited two weeks after the second deadline and heard NOTHING. Now, it's MONTHS after my interview and I've just GIVEN UP. It is SO INCREDIBLY RUDE for them to just ignore me after all the effort I went through during the interview process. DO NOT WORK HERE. THE PAY IS LOW AND THEY TREAT YOU LIKE CRAP DURING THE INTERVIEW PROCESS. NO WONDER THEY DON'T HAVE CONFLICT MANAGEMENT BECAUSE THEY AVOID CONFLICT LIKE THE PLAGUE. A simple, "I'm sorry but we've decided to hire someone else" would have been nice. SO RUDE.

Recap:
    Online app submitted - 9/29/14
    Phone screening - 11/3/14
    In-person interview - 11/12/14 (first expected hiring decision deadline given: 11/21/14)
    Follow up - 11/26/14 (new hiring decision deadline given: week of 12/8/14)
    No response since.

Interview Questions
    • None. Super easy interview... if you can call it that.   Answer Question

SAS Programmer Interview

I was Mailed by recuiter and have a phone interview. The process took one month. Recruiter is very nice and helpful. Reply my questions very quickly and help me to set up a interview as soon as possible.

Interview Questions
    • Which function you will prefer, merge or full join? What's the different?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Two phone interviews with recruiter and one in-person, full day interview. Phone intervews with recruiter established my prior work experience, interest in the position, overall expectations, and preliminary expectations of the Principal Researcher. Full day interview is a chance to showcase your own research, meet staff, and discuss how you'd fit in with staff and the project.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

I found the interview process to be straight forward and thoughtful. I received a call from Human Resources to review my interests and then had two phone interviews with various members of the leadership. The phone interviews were followed by an in-person interview that was quite congenial. It seemed like a great place to work.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

This process took a long time for me. I applied at the end of a month (the posting had only been up for about two weeks). I checked every day to see if my application status had changed and then about three weeks later I noticed my application was under review and that they had taken down the job posting. Another week passed and then I received the screening call from HR other reviewers have mentioned (keep in mind this is a month after I applied). The call went very well and I was told that my information would be passed on to the hiring manager.

Two weeks after that I was contacted again and asked to schedule a phone interview with two staff members. The questions were all standard and a eight days later I was asked to come to DC for an interview. The interview was intense; I met individually with six people, some of my interviews were done over the phone. At the end I was told that they planned on moving quickly and would hear from them in a few days. Well, two weeks later I was offered the position with an above market average salary.

It was a long process and it was a little unnerving at times, but it was a pleasant overall experience.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation, but that was because they offered me $5,000 more than I had anticipated.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

There were 3 phone interviews with different people: first one with a hiring manager, and the other two with a senior researcher and a principal researcher, respectively.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Typical software interview. Phone screen by HR, followed by phone interview with an engineer, followed by a full day of interviews at the office.

Interview Questions
    • none were difficult., nor easy, just your typical software questions. ex. what data structure would you use to store this data?, or how would you find the nth number in a sorted list of integers and what is the run time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

interviewed at American Institutes for Research in March 2014.

Applied online, about 3 days letter get an email from HR and scheduled a phone interview. And followed by a second interview. But it seems that those two engineers didn't want to talk to me and just simply asked questions about my resume. If they aren't interested in me, why scheduled the second interview ?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in March 2014.

Initially I applied online. After a week received mail to schedule technical phone interview. In phone interview the they asked in depth about previous projects. Asked lot of technical questions on JavaScript, AJAX, C#. If you have experience in the required fields, basic preparation and brushing up skills will suffice for preparation.
    After 1 week received phone call from recruiter that they are giving me offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, all general questions on JavaScript, AJAX, JSON, C#.NET, ASP.NET and some questions like explaining Oops concepts in JavaScript   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation for interns

Research Associate Interview

applied online
    Contact by HR 4 weeks later.
    HR contact was very professional.
    Flew in 2 weeks later, hotel and flight paid.
    Met with a handful of people: direct boss, colleague, phone interview.

Since it is a research institute, I was expecting very bright question and meeting ivy-league level people. Wrong math notation. Unaware of new methods. I asked to see the project, it's something I could do in a day with coffee. Data analysis is equivalent to 3rd year college level.

They sensed I am not too excited, asking for high pay. No offer next day.