American Institutes for Research Research Assistant Interview Questions

3.2

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

This process took a long time for me. I applied at the end of a month (the posting had only been up for about two weeks). I checked every day to see if my application status had changed and then about three weeks later I noticed my application was under review and that they had taken down the job posting. Another week passed and then I received the screening call from HR other reviewers have mentioned (keep in mind this is a month after I applied). The call went very well and I was told that my information would be passed on to the hiring manager.

Two weeks after that I was contacted again and asked to schedule a phone interview with two staff members. The questions were all standard and a eight days later I was asked to come to DC for an interview. The interview was intense; I met individually with six people, some of my interviews were done over the phone. At the end I was told that they planned on moving quickly and would hear from them in a few days. Well, two weeks later I was offered the position with an above market average salary.

It was a long process and it was a little unnerving at times, but it was a pleasant overall experience.

Interview Questions
There was no negotiation, but that was because they offered me $5,000 more than I had anticipated.

Other Interview Reviews for American Institutes for Research

Research Assistant Interview

I had two 30 minute phone interviews with AIR staff members and then about a 2.5 hour in person interview (I had 30 minute interviews with four members of my program and then a 30 minute interview with HR). Throughout my hiring process a staff member from HR kept in close contact with me and updated me on where they were with their hiring process.

My interview questions were very straight forward. I was asked to walk through my resume, discuss why I was interested in this area of research, discuss my undergraduate coursework, talk about my research skills, long term professional goals, etc. I don't remember being asked a lot of behavioral questions.

I was offered $35,000 and I was unable to negotiate. As far as I could tell during my time there (by talking to other staff, looking at people's hourly wages on the proposal budgets) AIR does not do a lot of negotiating at the Research Assistant level.

I do know junior level coworkers who were able to successfully negotiate a small signing bonus ($1000 or under) or extra vacation days. If you are unable to negotiate salary I would definitely ask about a signing bonus or extra PTO.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in March 2013.

I found this job on a typical job posting website (I believe it was idealist or indeed) and applied while still in my senior year of college. I heard back about a week and a half later over the phone. I was a little caught off guard because I hadn't received an email in advance letting me know I was being considered and I was attending a class at the time. When I had returned the call, it turned out to be a very basic, preliminary HR screen; I was asked why I had applied and what interested me about the company. Shortly afterwards, I received an email asking me to schedule phone interviews.

I went through one round of phone interviews with two staff members. The people interviewing me were from two different offices - one was someone in a position similar to mine and the other was a senior researcher who had been at the company for quite some time. Both experiences were positive and questions were pretty straightforward (prior work experience, ability to work in groups, interest in the company and projects). Although from speaking with the staff member who was in a similar position as the one I was interviewing in, it was made very apparent that it is difficult to move up in the company without a higher degree (she was leaving for graduate school shortly thereafter).

I received another call several business days later (again, during class) letting me know that the phone interviewers had responded positively and they were going to move ahead with scheduling in-person interviews. The in-person interview lasted about 3.5 hours. Again, interviews were conducted in rounds. I spoke with HR, research assistants, research associates, senior researchers, and then looped back with HR. Everyone was pleasant and questions again were pretty standard - nothing too tricky, just basics on education, elaborating on prior relevant work, work attitude and style, etc. I was told that they would be in contact.

Here's where it gets tricky. If you are applying for other jobs, HR tends to get a little bit more irritable. Firstly, be honest about where else you are applying and whether or not you are already considering their offer. For me, I had been juggling other offers and HR was not as responsive as they had initially promised. I was told there would be a response within the week, and a week later, when I touched back in with HR, I was told they were just starting to consider all applicants. I essentially had to force their hand and told them I needed an answer right away since I had already been holding off on other offers - I got the sense that HR was flustered, but in my mind, if I was a good fit, they should have stopped interviewing others indefinitely and gotten back to me when they had promised.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very straightforward - some were even questions that were asked in previous rounds of interviews. I believe there may have been just one question that was slightly more technical drawing upon education and coursework.   Answer Question
    Did not try to negotiate since I had already heard that negotiation is not welcomed at this level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in February 2013.

Was contacted initially by a recruiter requesting that I participate in a phone interview. A phone interview consisted of speaking with a couple of researchers and about my experience. Was asked whether I had any questions and the phone interview was very friendly.

About a week later I was contacted for an in person interview in the Washington office. Spent an entire day at the office speaking with HR, the team I would be working with, and meeting other colleagues. Very positive experience in-person.

Interview Questions
    Able to negotiate start date but not salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in August 2012.

I submitted an application online. Within a month, I got a screening call or pre-interview from an HR assistant, asking basic questions like my interest in this position. I had a phone interview shortly after with a senior research associate. A few weeks later, I had an in person interview with 2 other research associates. Everyone I spoke to was courteous and informative. They asked about my research experience in detail, my future goals, and what I wanted from this position. I tried to answer questions as fully as possible and convey my enthusiasm for working there. I called 2 weeks later to check on my status and was told they would call if they were moving forward. I never got the call.