American Institutes for Research Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 5, 2014

3.2

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

I found the interview process to be straight forward and thoughtful. I received a call from Human Resources to review my interests and then had two phone interviews with various members of the leadership. The phone interviews were followed by an in-person interview that was quite congenial. It seemed like a great place to work.

Other Interview Reviews for American Institutes for Research

applied online
    Contact by HR 4 weeks later.
    HR contact was very professional.
    Flew in 2 weeks later, hotel and flight paid.
    Met with a handful of people: direct boss, colleague, phone interview.

Since it is a research institute, I was expecting very bright question and meeting ivy-league level people. Wrong math notation. Unaware of new methods. I asked to see the project, it's something I could do in a day with coffee. Data analysis is equivalent to 3rd year college level.

They sensed I am not too excited, asking for high pay. No offer next day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in April 2013.

Initially, two interviews were conducted at the Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology Conference, followed by a phone interview and a series of interviews at the headquarters in Washington DC. In DC, I met with a series of workers at different levels of the organization who each had their own specialization within the organization. It was a very thorough and professional experience.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe the three types of validity and how they are different.   View Answer

For personal reasons - I wanted to stay in Los Angeles for my girlfriend's career and had another opportunity already lined up.

AIR seems like a great organization with smart and friendly workers. I wish they had an office on the west coast!

Research Associate Interview

Three rounds of interview, including two phone interviews and an on-site interview. Be sure to read their publications, especially those written by your potential interviewers. I feel this is the most effective way to impress them. Be prepared for both behavioral questions and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • What's your plan in five years?
      Difference between quasi-experimental and experimental design?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in September 2012.

Professional from start to (almost) finish. Courteous in terms of scheduling.

A lot of repetitive questions from phone to in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Demonstrate your qualitative research skills. What (specifically) is your domain of interest and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in July 2011.

First there was a 30-minute HR interview, followed by two separate phone interviews with Research Associates that lasted about 30 minutes each (about a week later), then another phone interview the following week with a manager/senior associate, then an in-person interview at the D.C. headquarters with 7 different individuals (some were with two at a time, and a couple were on the phone to the other AIR locations). Overall a very nice interview process, they paid for flight and accommodations to D.C. and were very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What is your approach to qualitative research and data analysis?   Answer Question
    • What challenges do your foresee coming from an academic environment to a non-profit research environment?   Answer Question

The pay was not high enough for the D.C. area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in February 2011.

I was able, through networking, to meet someone who worked within the organization. After an initial telephone conversation my resume was forwarded to HR who then set up a formal interview. Due to timing and internal evaluations, it was five months before an opening was available for me.

Interview Questions
    • Detail the ways in which you showed competency in qualitiative and quantitative analysis.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in February 2010.

I interviewed with 5 separate people--it was a surprise to me that they interviewed me for 2 different positions. They have you talk to someone around your level as well as your potential boss(es).

They didn't let me negotiate.

Research Associate Interview

The interview process is extensive. The first round I interviewed for two hours with about 5 or 6 different people. All very friendly and open, and easy to read. They called me back for a second interview within a couple business days. The second interview was scheduled within the week, also took about 1.5 to two hours with several people. The next day I got the job offer!

Interview Questions
    • Since the position is very heavy on stats I had to explain my experience working with statistical programs, which was hard to do on the spot. A little preparation before hand would have helped.   Answer Question
    Very competitive market, wasn't able to negotiate at all, but the offer was fair, and the benefits are amazing.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

I applied for the job via idealist or indeed.com. HR called me a week or two later to do a preliminary interview. The HR rep asked me a few questions about my interests. She asked me what salary I was looking for. Then she said she would call me back if AIR wanted to move forward with the interview process. I got a call a few days later, and I scheduled an hour-long phone interview with my would-be supervisors. After that, I got another call asking if I could come in for an in-person interview. That interview lasted from I believe9am to 11:30 am. I met with several people in the division in which the position was available. I met with the HR rep twice. Then they told me that they would call me shortly if they were interested in offering me a position. They e-mailed me the next day asking for a writing sample. I provided that and then it was a day or two before they called me to extend me the offer. They did not require a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to explain why I had moved around so much in the recent past (I had moved several times within the past several years due to grad school and then consulting jobs).   Answer Question
    There wasn't one. I asked for an exact salary during my phone interview and they gave it to me. I should have asked for more or at least have asked how long it would take to receive raises and/or promotions,