American Institutes for Research Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

3.1

Research Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Phone interview, self introduction, past research experience, research projects that I have been involved in, what role I played, one or two behavior questions, ask if I have any other related experience that might contribute to the position, if I have any questions for the company. Briefly introduced about the position, the team, location, but never really heard back from the recruiter.

Other Interview Reviews for American Institutes for Research

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in January 2015.

I met a PhD level researcher from AIR at APHA (American Public Health Association's annual conference) in November. We had a brief informational interview. Afterwards, she introduced me to one of their internal recruiters, and they both encouraged me to apply for the open position in the Health Policy department at their DC headquarters. I submitted an application, and they invited me for an onsite interview. Because of the holidays, that process was a little lengthy, and I didn't go to DC for the interview until the end of January. They paid for my flight and hotel. I spoke to 6 people in 2.5 hours, beginning and ending with HR reps. They mostly asked me to describe my experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods as well as various data management and analysis software packages. There weren't any particularly intense technical questions. After that, it was 3-4 weeks before they contacted me with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your experience working with qualitative data.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

I found the interview process to be straight forward and thoughtful. I received a call from Human Resources to review my interests and then had two phone interviews with various members of the leadership. The phone interviews were followed by an in-person interview that was quite congenial. It seemed like a great place to work.

applied online
    Contact by HR 4 weeks later.
    HR contact was very professional.
    Flew in 2 weeks later, hotel and flight paid.
    Met with a handful of people: direct boss, colleague, phone interview.

Since it is a research institute, I was expecting very bright question and meeting ivy-league level people. Wrong math notation. Unaware of new methods. I asked to see the project, it's something I could do in a day with coffee. Data analysis is equivalent to 3rd year college level.

They sensed I am not too excited, asking for high pay. No offer next day.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in April 2013.

Initially, two interviews were conducted at the Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology Conference, followed by a phone interview and a series of interviews at the headquarters in Washington DC. In DC, I met with a series of workers at different levels of the organization who each had their own specialization within the organization. It was a very thorough and professional experience.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe the three types of validity and how they are different.   View Answer

For personal reasons - I wanted to stay in Los Angeles for my girlfriend's career and had another opportunity already lined up.

AIR seems like a great organization with smart and friendly workers. I wish they had an office on the west coast!

Research Associate Interview

Three rounds of interview, including two phone interviews and an on-site interview. Be sure to read their publications, especially those written by your potential interviewers. I feel this is the most effective way to impress them. Be prepared for both behavioral questions and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • What's your plan in five years?
      Difference between quasi-experimental and experimental design?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in September 2012.

Professional from start to (almost) finish. Courteous in terms of scheduling.

A lot of repetitive questions from phone to in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Demonstrate your qualitative research skills. What (specifically) is your domain of interest and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in July 2011.

First there was a 30-minute HR interview, followed by two separate phone interviews with Research Associates that lasted about 30 minutes each (about a week later), then another phone interview the following week with a manager/senior associate, then an in-person interview at the D.C. headquarters with 7 different individuals (some were with two at a time, and a couple were on the phone to the other AIR locations). Overall a very nice interview process, they paid for flight and accommodations to D.C. and were very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What is your approach to qualitative research and data analysis?   Answer Question
    • What challenges do your foresee coming from an academic environment to a non-profit research environment?   Answer Question

The pay was not high enough for the D.C. area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in February 2011.

I was able, through networking, to meet someone who worked within the organization. After an initial telephone conversation my resume was forwarded to HR who then set up a formal interview. Due to timing and internal evaluations, it was five months before an opening was available for me.

Interview Questions
    • Detail the ways in which you showed competency in qualitiative and quantitative analysis.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in February 2010.

I interviewed with 5 separate people--it was a surprise to me that they interviewed me for 2 different positions. They have you talk to someone around your level as well as your potential boss(es).

They didn't let me negotiate.