American Institutes for Research

Updated Sep 18, 2014

2.5

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Two phone interviews with recruiter and one in-person, full day interview. Phone intervews with recruiter established my prior work experience, interest in the position, overall expectations, and preliminary expectations of the Principal Researcher. Full day interview is a chance to showcase your own research, meet staff, and discuss how you'd fit in with staff and the project.

Other Interview Reviews for American Institutes for Research

Researcher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Institutes for Research.

The process was clear and efficient. My initial interactions were with an HR recruiter who maintained contact with me throughout the process. The next steps involved conversations with the manager for the specific research area who asked for additional information about my skills and qualifications (e.g., writing sample, statistical background). All communication was professional.

Interview Questions
    • HR recruiter asked for salary requirements much earlier in the process than anticipated. Be sure to do your market research early.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in August 2012.

Perhaps the most unprofessional interview process I've ever experienced. I applied for a job through the online system, but also had a mentor forward my CV to several hiring managers in the organization. Within 24 hours of my CV being sent to contacts in AIR, a recruiter called me to set up an initial phone screen for the next day. The scheduled interview time came and went with no call. The next day, the same recruiter contacted me again to set up a phone screen. When I explained that I'd had an phone interview scheduled, but no one called me at the designated time, the recruiter said that she "couldn't remember" if she'd set up an interview with me and that she must have missed it on her calendar. The phone screen was rescheduled for the next day and actually happened this time. The interview lasted about 30-45 minutes and went very well. The recruiter contacted me the next business day to set up a phone interview with 2 hiring managers. She also asked me to send a writing sample and sent an email to confirm the scheduled interview time. However, like the initial phone screen, the scheduled interview time with the hiring managers came and went with no phone call. I contacted the recruiter to find out what had happened, and she said that the hiring managers "got really busy and forgot to call" me. Once again, the interview was rescheduled. This time, only one of the hiring managers called, but the interview went on as planned. It went very well, and I was told that they were interested in bringing me in for an on-site interview once they were certain that they would have enough funding to hire another researcher. Almost two months have passed, and I still have not been contacted to schedule the on-site interview. While it is possible that they are still trying to work out the funding situation, I've basically given up on AIR and do not intend to continue the interview process with them if I am contacted. I'm just amazed that an organization of this stature thinks that they can continue to get the "best and brightest" to work for them when the hiring process is such a mess. I got along well with the hiring manager who interviewed me, and I think I would have enjoyed working for him, but just about everything else in the interview process suggested huge problems with the organizational culture at AIR.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. Everything was pretty basic - asked about my dissertation research, background and training in quantitative research, experience with statistical analysis programs, etc.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

The initial interview process unfolded very smoothly and quickly. I had a phone interview with the recruiter and then another with the hiring manager and a senior researcher, which also went very well. Both were very friendly (remember this; it will be important later). I was invited for an on site interview the same day.

The interview day started off very well. After a customary meeting with the HR person, I had a phone interview with someone at the same job level (which went swimmingly) and then a face to face with a senior administrator (which went even more swimmingly). Next was my presentation and things suddenly went irrevocably south. Attending the presentation was a mix of junior and senior researchers, including the two I met during the initial phone interview. The senior researcher seemed confused but not hostile to my presentation, the hiring manager heckled. The presentation did not win rave reviews from anyone, but no one else heckled. I explained myself as well as I could, but it did not make a dent. Next was my lunch. With the aforementioned hiring manager.

I started trying to get a hold of the process, because the interview was slipping out of my fingers. Although it was clear as daylight that she had made up her mind about me, I was trying to stay positive while trying to answer her increasingly impatient questions. At some point, she asked me how I would change the centuries of gender bias in my country (my work and education are a million miles away from this question) I gave up and said, I don't know. She stopped me and started giving me 'feedback', the gist of which was that I'd sucked at the interview in every way. My answers weren't impressive enough, my ideas weren't grand enough (she said she didn't care in the least if any of them were truthful) and I hadn't shown myself to be good enough. About an eternity of this surreal plot twist later, we continued with the 'interviewee's questions' part of the meeting (I was offered the consolation prize for asking 'good' questions). Then on to two more interviews, normal and professional as can be. The second one ended with the kicker- "you should've presented your other work" (instead of the one vetted by the recruiter and the senior researcher). Bazinga!

Never heard from them again, but I knew the answer by noon.

Interview Questions
    • How will you change centuries of gender bias in your country?   Answer Question