American Institutes for Research Interview Questions in Washington, DC

3.1

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Two phone interviews with recruiter and one in-person, full day interview. Phone intervews with recruiter established my prior work experience, interest in the position, overall expectations, and preliminary expectations of the Principal Researcher. Full day interview is a chance to showcase your own research, meet staff, and discuss how you'd fit in with staff and the project.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

This process took a long time for me. I applied at the end of a month (the posting had only been up for about two weeks). I checked every day to see if my application status had changed and then about three weeks later I noticed my application was under review and that they had taken down the job posting. Another week passed and then I received the screening call from HR other reviewers have mentioned (keep in mind this is a month after I applied). The call went very well and I was told that my information would be passed on to the hiring manager.

Two weeks after that I was contacted again and asked to schedule a phone interview with two staff members. The questions were all standard and a eight days later I was asked to come to DC for an interview. The interview was intense; I met individually with six people, some of my interviews were done over the phone. At the end I was told that they planned on moving quickly and would hear from them in a few days. Well, two weeks later I was offered the position with an above market average salary.

It was a long process and it was a little unnerving at times, but it was a pleasant overall experience.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation, but that was because they offered me $5,000 more than I had anticipated.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research.

Typical software interview. Phone screen by HR, followed by phone interview with an engineer, followed by a full day of interviews at the office.

Interview Questions
    • none were difficult., nor easy, just your typical software questions. ex. what data structure would you use to store this data?, or how would you find the nth number in a sorted list of integers and what is the run time?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

applied online
    Contact by HR 4 weeks later.
    HR contact was very professional.
    Flew in 2 weeks later, hotel and flight paid.
    Met with a handful of people: direct boss, colleague, phone interview.

Since it is a research institute, I was expecting very bright question and meeting ivy-league level people. Wrong math notation. Unaware of new methods. I asked to see the project, it's something I could do in a day with coffee. Data analysis is equivalent to 3rd year college level.

They sensed I am not too excited, asking for high pay. No offer next day.

Finance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at American Institutes for Research in November 2013.

Initial phone interview with HR/ 1:1 Team interview

Interview Questions
    • Excel Test
      General questions related to work and previous experience.
      Behavioral questions and some of job technical skill question
      Be prepared for job technical skill questions. For example, when do you think you would use pivot table, graphs and charts, etc.

Interviewers were nice and very professional.
      Interview difficultly was above average.
      I did not get an offer but it was a great experience.
        Answer Question

Statistical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at American Institutes for Research in October 2013.

Initial communication was via email. This was followed by a phone conversation. The conversation went well. The recruiter said she will have the HR Manager get back in touch with me to set up a face to face interview which never happened. After sending a few emails in the next couple of weeks, I was told that I wasn't selected for the position.

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

interviewed at American Institutes for Research in May 2013.

Data structure and Java questions. All 5. I feel very difficult. After which I get a denied email immediately. Data structure and Java questions. All 5. I feel very difficult. After which I get a denied email immediately.Data structure and Java questions. All 5. I feel very difficult. After which I get a denied email immediately.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in April 2013.

Initially, two interviews were conducted at the Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology Conference, followed by a phone interview and a series of interviews at the headquarters in Washington DC. In DC, I met with a series of workers at different levels of the organization who each had their own specialization within the organization. It was a very thorough and professional experience.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe the three types of validity and how they are different.   View Answer

For personal reasons - I wanted to stay in Los Angeles for my girlfriend's career and had another opportunity already lined up.

AIR seems like a great organization with smart and friendly workers. I wish they had an office on the west coast!

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in March 2013.

I got the job information at my college's job fair. About half a month later, I received a call from a Recruiting Assistant and ask me to sent her a resume. After I do that, about three days later. I received an email and schedules time for the first phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • For the interview, there are three interviewer with India accent. Because my English is not very strong, so I hardly understand their questions. Basically they just ask some questions relative to my resume. They asked me to describe the merge sort, some Jave network questions, and so on... I can't remember, mostly I can't get the whole question because of cannot understand their English.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research in February 2013.

Was contacted initially by a recruiter requesting that I participate in a phone interview. A phone interview consisted of speaking with a couple of researchers and about my experience. Was asked whether I had any questions and the phone interview was very friendly.

About a week later I was contacted for an in person interview in the Washington office. Spent an entire day at the office speaking with HR, the team I would be working with, and meeting other colleagues. Very positive experience in-person.

Interview Questions
    Able to negotiate start date but not salary.