American Institutes for Research Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview which took about 15 mins. My supervisor and program director briefly described the job requirements and asked my interest of work. Since it is a summer intern, the program director said it was OK if I was not familiar with the software they were using and suggested me to learn it during the internship.

Research Associate (I/O Psychology) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

HR contacted me a week or two after I'd made my application online. We set up a time to talk... my first conversation was with the HR rep n it lasted for half an hour. We spoke about why I wanted to work at AIR, why this position, salary expectations, etc. This was followed by me emailing them an independently written piece of research. 3-4 weeks later I had my second round (phone interview) with an experienced researcher. He was v easy to talk to. We spoke about my work experiences abs background. Had to wait a while before I heard back re the in person interview. AIR covered the travel and accommodation costs. The interview lasted for 3.5 hours. I had the chance to meet 7people, including the director of the program. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly, professional and easy to talk to. They were very forth coming when it came to discussing the types of projects they work on. I heard back from HR two weeks later. The entire interview process took 9 weeks (from my first phone interview to having received the offer) and did involve having to follow up with the recruiter a few times. That having been said, everyone I interacted with was very courteos and professional in their manner.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked within a team and things didn't go very well.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I met a PhD level researcher from AIR at APHA (American Public Health Association's annual conference) in November. We had a brief informational interview. Afterwards, she introduced me to one of their internal recruiters, and they both encouraged me to apply for the open position in the Health Policy department at their DC headquarters. I submitted an application, and they invited me for an onsite interview. Because of the holidays, that process was a little lengthy, and I didn't go to DC for the interview until the end of January. They paid for my flight and hotel. I spoke to 6 people in 2.5 hours, beginning and ending with HR reps. They mostly asked me to describe my experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods as well as various data management and analysis software packages. There weren't any particularly intense technical questions. After that, it was 3-4 weeks before they contacted me with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience working with qualitative data.   Answer Question

Health Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and heard nothing. I met a recruiter (PhD Researcher) who came on-campus for an info-session and finally got in touch with an HR person. The whole process was not what was described during the info-session. The HR called out of the blue for a phone screen without prior notice. After the phone screen, it was another two weeks before I had a 2 hour interview with 2 researchers. They mostly wanted me to describe a previous projects and asked if I had questions for them. The second interviewer didn't seem to be interested, and didn't ask many questions. Around 2-3 weeks later, the HR got in touch with me to schedule an on-site interview. We had set the date for two weeks later, and a week before the interview, I received a rejection email (which seemed to be mass-mailed). I was confused to why this happened and reach out to the HR person and found out that she had left AIR. I reached out to the PhD Researcher who only told me that everything over in the HR side is confidential, and even though I followed up with another HR person, I never heard back. Overall, their HR seems to be pretty disorganized and unresponsive.

Senior Cyber Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

After a phone interview, I met with multiple tiers of employees in the department in which I'd be working - Engineer, Manager, CISO, Director - as well as with HR. It was a very well organized interview, and an exciting opportunity to speak with people I'd be working with and working for. Questions that were asked were very relevant and required specialized knowledge for the position. They expect high quality from their employees, and the interview process reflects that.

Interview Questions

• What sort of anomalies would you look for to identify a compromised system?   1 Answer

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

Two phone interviews with recruiter and one in-person, full day interview. Phone intervews with recruiter established my prior work experience, interest in the position, overall expectations, and preliminary expectations of the Principal Researcher. Full day interview is a chance to showcase your own research, meet staff, and discuss how you'd fit in with staff and the project.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

Interview

This process took a long time for me. I applied at the end of a month (the posting had only been up for about two weeks). I checked every day to see if my application status had changed and then about three weeks later I noticed my application was under review and that they had taken down the job posting. Another week passed and then I received the screening call from HR other reviewers have mentioned (keep in mind this is a month after I applied). The call went very well and I was told that my information would be passed on to the hiring manager. Two weeks after that I was contacted again and asked to schedule a phone interview with two staff members. The questions were all standard and a eight days later I was asked to come to DC for an interview. The interview was intense; I met individually with six people, some of my interviews were done over the phone. At the end I was told that they planned on moving quickly and would hear from them in a few days. Well, two weeks later I was offered the position with an above market average salary. It was a long process and it was a little unnerving at times, but it was a pleasant overall experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, but that was because they offered me $5,000 more than I had anticipated.

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

Interview process is very basic. I went through a round of 5 interviews, all very casual.I received an offer within a few days of my interviews. Process was rather fast.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to apply to this company?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Institutes for Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

Typical software interview. Phone screen by HR, followed by phone interview with an engineer, followed by a full day of interviews at the office.

Interview Questions

• none were difficult., nor easy, just your typical software questions. ex. what data structure would you use to store this data?, or how would you find the nth number in a sorted list of integers and what is the run time?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Interview

applied online Contact by HR 4 weeks later. HR contact was very professional. Flew in 2 weeks later, hotel and flight paid. Met with a handful of people: direct boss, colleague, phone interview. Since it is a research institute, I was expecting very bright question and meeting ivy-league level people. Wrong math notation. Unaware of new methods. I asked to see the project, it's something I could do in a day with coffee. Data analysis is equivalent to 3rd year college level. They sensed I am not too excited, asking for high pay. No offer next day.