American Journal Experts

Very Easy Interview

Contract Editor (Remote/From-Home) Interview

Contract Editor (Remote/From-Home)
Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Journal Experts in August 2012.

Interview Details – I had to basically go through a phone conference orientation and perform a sample edit before being assigned edits of my own

Interview Question – Can't remember any   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Managing Translator, Turkish Interview

Managing Translator, Turkish
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Journal Experts in February 2011.

Interview Details – -I responded to the job ad and received a call 1 week later
-I had a phone interview with my soon to be supervisor
-At the end of my phone interview, I received a one-page document via email, a medical text from the abstract of a manuscript, to translate from Turkish into English.
-I completed the translation and sent it back within 2 hours
-Upon approval of my translated document, I was contacted (~1-2 weeks later) to visit North Carolina to have a personal interview and get a chance to speak with other employees
-During this interview, I got to meet with my supervisor and other managing translators (Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, Arabic, French, and Spanish)
-I was offered a job that day and confirmed within 1 week with paperwork to sign.

Interview Question – -Nothing too difficult it unexpected
-Other Managing Translators and my supervisor cautioning me about the demanding nature of the work and the strong emphasis in timeliness of projects with extremely tight deadlines
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – -No negotiation of starting salary or work schedule
-Was able to get all my special requests after accepting the job, such as job start date, part-time versus full-time in the beginning, date for conversion to full-time, work from a foreign country for 1 month (rather than the US) during my first full-time month

Scientific Editor Interview

Scientific Editor
Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at American Journal Experts.

Interview Details – Recruited at on campus interview, then filled out online form. Phone interview with managing editor. They reviewed the skills required and the review process. I then edited a series of journal articles to assess my abilities and determine how to taylor my writing to certain fields.

Interview Question – Interview was very reasonable and friendly. No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at American Journal Experts

Interview Details – No interview per se. Online application is straightforward if you're from one of their qualifying schools (CV, basic info). They then ask you to submit a writing sample, and then you get a test edit. Once you pass that, you start getting assignments.

Contract Editor

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at American Journal Experts.

Interview Details – I was recruited through a campus wide email. After an initial resume and writing sample review, you are given access to their editing guide. You are given a multiple choice test on this guide that you must pass to continue in the process. Next, you do a test edit that you are compensated for. If they like that they give you a temporary positions, and after 3 more "watched" edits, I became a team member.

Interview Question – None. No formal interview   View Answer

Contract Editor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Journal Experts.

Interview Details – First of all, they only hire people who are graduate students at or have graduate degrees from a very specific list of schools. If you did not attend a school that's on their list, you cannot apply, even if you are qualified to do the job.

After applying online, you need to read a detailed "editing guide" and then complete a 33 question online multiple choice quiz with examples of sentences that need editing. The questions were very difficult.

You also need to complete and submit a test edit of a sample paper.

After successfully getting through that, you get the job. There is no interview.

Interview Question – Basing your choice on the Editing Guide's descriptions of numeral usage and units of measure, identify the correct version of the following sentence: 4 mice, weighing 25 g each, were subjected to the forced swim test six, nine, and 12 hours after treatment in a .5 L container.

A) 4 mice, weighing 25 g each, were subjected to the forced swim test 6, 9, and 12 hours after treatment in a .5 L container .
B) Four mice, weighing twenty-five grams each, were subjected to the forced swim test six, nine, and twelve hours after treatment in a half-liter container.
C) Four mice, weighing 25 g each, were subjected to the forced swim test six, nine, and 12 hours after treatment in a .5 L container.
D) Four mice, weighing 25 g each, were subjected to the forced swim test 6, 9, and 12 h after treatment in a .5-L container .
  View Answer

Copy Editor Interview

Copy Editor
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Journal Experts.

Interview Details – Straightforward process. I was given an editing test and asked to complete it. The paper that I was given was very strange (I thought) but it turned out to be no stranger than many actual customer papers.

Negotiation Details – Company provided a contract and there was no room for negotiation.

Copy Editor Interview

Copy Editor

Interviewed at American Journal Experts

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward. You apply online. If you pass the initial screen, they will contact you and schedule you for an introductory conference call. You then complete a training assignment. If you complete this assignment satisfactorily, you begin receiving assignments at a pace that ramps up as you become more experienced. If you do not complete the assignment successfully, I think they give you an additional crack at it.

Interview Question – I don't recall any questions I would have considered particularly difficult or unexpected. The real weight is on the training assignment.   Answer Question

Worked for American Journal Experts? Contribute to the Community!