American Marketing and Publishing

Updated Dec 29, 2014

2.6

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing.

The face to face interview was great but the ride along was awful. Drive an hour to meet the rep, spent the day talking with them. Based on that experience I turned the job down.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were hypothetical, did not focus on my actual experience.   Answer Question

Do not like their business model.

Other Interview Reviews for American Marketing and Publishing

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in May 2014.

Resume was found via Monster. Had a phone interview, followed by a Face to Face Interview. You then go on a "ride a long" with a current rep to experience a "day in the life" of an Account Manager. Final Decision made shortly thereafter.

Interview Questions
    • They just expect you to sell yourself. Share your accomplishments, and explain why you are a good fit for the position. You also have to memorize a 5 paragraph script..which was challenging!   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in April 2014.

1 interview with recruiter on phone
    1 interview in person with district manager
    1 script test oral exam
    1 ride-along day in sales field with assistant district manager (same-day job offer and acceptance)
    1 week EXTREMELY high quality & rigorous training at Dekalb, IL corporate headquarters
    Placement into first canvass town

Interview Questions
    • The interview ended up being just an organic conversation between me and the district manager. Very few pointed questions were asked of me. Instead, the DM just guided our discussion in a few directions to feel out my conversational style and communication abilities.   Answer Question
    Base salary is firm at $25000, which was scary, but my first commission check was $1000 and my first bonus check was $1200. My checks got bigger from there. I expect to make at least $50,000 this year.

Account Manager Interview

be energetic, bring success stories; any accomplishing plaques, ribbons, trophies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in July 2013.

Brief phone interview, followed by an in person interview. Everyone I dealt with in the company was very nice and professional. Once you've gone through the interview, they invite you on a "ride-along" with a current rep. ASK QUESTIONS! You need to know what you're getting yourself into. After the ride along you'll have a phone call with the hiring manager, just to make sure it's a good fit. After that, they'll send you an offer, but it is only if you memorize the sales script. Take the script seriously, if you don't know it backwards and forwards going into training, then you will surely fall behind.

Interview Questions
    • You will be told "no" about 39 times every day, IF you can get in front of the business owner, can you handle that?   Answer Question
    They're not going to pay you more than $25,000 a year. No negotiation possible.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing.

-> Phone interview- just describes the company and your experiences and if it sounds interesting to you. Super easy
    -> In person interview- again, they describe the company's history and briefly describe the product. Small questions about your life goals, and previous experiences. Not a whole lot of time for asking the employer any questions.
    -> Observation day- you ride along with another employee. As long as you are friendly and ask questions along the way you should have no problems passing that "test".
    -> Script test- one page long word for word script you have to memorize before going down for training. It tests people's dedication because it takes HOURS and HOURS to memorize.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions were really asked. Very simple just asking you about your experience, how you've dealt with people, and your goals. They LOVE goal oriented people.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Everyone in the sales field receives the same base salary. If you want to make more money than the base salary that everyone gets, you need to sell more stuff for them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in March 2012.

Turn and burn company, interview was a joke, they hire pretty much anyone with a pulse.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any sales related questions! Crazy huh?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in September 2009.

The phone interview was a great interview, but I had a great interviewer. The 1 on 1 interview was a different story, the interviewer didn't even give me a chance to talk. She would literally ask a question and then answer it herself. Very rude and unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your sales background?   View Answer
    • Talk about your academic coursework in college and how it can translate to our firm?   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in May 2012.

I got the call from the recruiter who set up my interview with the DM. When I got to the office, which is an hour away from my house, the DM was not there and I was interviewed by the recruiters boss who happened to work in the same office building. She was very friendly and the interview lasted about an hour and a half. I was called within 20 minutes to set up the ride day, which I did the following week, even further from my house. Do to the ride day and the final interview being scheduled on separate days, and the recruiter not being able to reschedule them, I drove back again the day after my ride day, only to meet with the DM for my final interview for 15 minutes. I was upset by the fact that I drove 2 hours total for a 15 chat that could have been done over the phone. I was then called the next day by the recruiter for the text marketing side of the company and was told that I was referred to him by the initial recruiter and was asked to start the process all over again and interview with a different team.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in April 2012.

It was fine. The guy was really enthusiastic.

Interview Questions

I read other reviews on glass door and I thought theiy were a little misleading.