American Marketing and Publishing

Getting the Interview

62 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Eau Claire, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in March 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter who conducted a phone interview. Next interviewed with the dm, very short and easy. Ride along followed by a ten paragraph sales script to memorize..

Interview Question – Do you consider yourself a self starter?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing

Interview Details – Behavioral questions all the way. Be prepared to brag about your "success" started from high school. They want to see your hard working ethic and blind enthusiasm for everything in your life. The ride along day: a good chance to see what you are really getting yourself into. It was awkward knocking on just random people's doors of which they considered as "home businesses".

The products that this company sells are out-dated. All the small business owners know that no one looks at phone books anymore. Their three products look conflicting to each other (print, text, and the Internet) and the sales reps know this very well so they never present online presence management or text-marketing products before they sell phone books.

The business owners buy the print ads only when they got conned the first time or simply got tired of those sales reps keep bothering them over and over again. The job is mentally and physically exhausted and the products have little to no value. If you can lie to yourself everyday and throw your morals aside and think only about money, take it.

Gallatin, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was called by a recruiter who say my resume on Monster. I was then interviewed by the District Manager. Typical interview...nothing unusual....then I went with another sales rep for a few hours to watch her in action. It all happened so fast actually...I was surprised that none of my references were even contacted. That should have been a red flag to me.

Interview Question – How do you handle rejection?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing

Interview Details – Felt uncomfortable, the recruiter asked very personal questions and shared very personal information. They don't formally invite you back, each candidate must contact them if they have interest pursuing the rest of the interview process. The interview was scheduled to last 30 minutes, they kept me for over an hour due to pointless and irrelevant conversation.

Interview Question – What is your greatest life regret?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Uncomfortable interview process

B2B Sales Interview

Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in January 2013.

Interview Details – Arrived early, waited for 45min past scheduled appointment. Very basic, was offered the job within 20 min. Manager spoke of sales territory that I later found out did not exist. Was told I would be attending training in DeKalb. Met some very nice people, was reimbursed for travel after returning.

Interview Question – Simple questions that are very basic if you have experience in sales.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating.

South Bend, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in July 2010.

Interview Details – Very causal interview.

Interview Question – Describe your definition of hard work.   Answer Question

Community Representative Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing.

Interview Details – Recruiters call ANYONE AND EVERYONE... then phone interview. Then interview w DM .. THEN SCRIPT MEMORIZATION . Then hired (they hire anyone anymore) then week training then you hit the sales field solo

Negotiation Details – None

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing.

Interview Details – be energetic, bring success stories; any accomplishing plaques, ribbons, trophies

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Outside Sales Account Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to their posting I found on the indeed job site. A full time recruiter called me within a couple of days to set up an interview. She was very professional and excited about the job. I think they really try to "sell" you on the job so you want to interview. I was told my interview would be next Thursday. Seems like the district managers are in the field four days and interview on Thursdays. If they are interviewing EVERY Thursday then their must be a lot of turnover! Interview went great until the dm figured out I was way overqualified and would be bored with the job. So we talked about her experiences for a while and the industry in general. She was very nice and professional.

Bottom line this is an entry level sales job with a 25k base and you will work hard. So hard because they track you with a GPS. If you want to get into sales and see if you can cut it this might be a good job. Not a long term career in my opinion. Lots of driving and walking door to door. I'm sure you are micromanaged with call reports, lead sheets, etc. and if you don't sell two news accounts in the first two weeks you are fired.

Interview Question – What kind of friend are you?   Answer Question

Local Sales Representative Interview

Mokena, IL

I applied online - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in June 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process was EXTREMELY thourough.

Interview Question – Are you prepared to work until 7pm on Tuesday and Thursday   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Marketing and Publishing

Worked for American Marketing and Publishing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Marketing and Publishing interview questions and advice. All 62 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Marketing and Publishing employees and interview candidates.