American Marketing and Publishing

Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Eau Claire, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in April 2014.

Interview Details – 1 interview with recruiter on phone
1 interview in person with district manager
1 script test oral exam
1 ride-along day in sales field with assistant district manager (same-day job offer and acceptance)
1 week EXTREMELY high quality & rigorous training at Dekalb, IL corporate headquarters
Placement into first canvass town

Interview Question – The interview ended up being just an organic conversation between me and the district manager. Very few pointed questions were asked of me. Instead, the DM just guided our discussion in a few directions to feel out my conversational style and communication abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Base salary is firm at $25000, which was scary, but my first commission check was $1000 and my first bonus check was $1200. My checks got bigger from there. I expect to make at least $50,000 this year.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in May 2014.

Interview Details – Resume was found via Monster. Had a phone interview, followed by a Face to Face Interview. You then go on a "ride a long" with a current rep to experience a "day in the life" of an Account Manager. Final Decision made shortly thereafter.

Interview Question – They just expect you to sell yourself. Share your accomplishments, and explain why you are a good fit for the position. You also have to memorize a 5 paragraph script..which was challenging!   View Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Outside Sales Representative
Mokena, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in July 2012.

Interview Details – "Grab a number"..."Need a job" . This place is less of an interview process and more of herding cattle through the gates to the slaughterhouse. You are JUST A NUMBER!!

Interview Question – There were none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Eau Claire, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in March 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter who conducted a phone interview. Next interviewed with the dm, very short and easy. Ride along followed by a ten paragraph sales script to memorize..

Interview Question – Do you consider yourself a self starter?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Outside Sales Representative

Interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing

Interview Details – Behavioral questions all the way. Be prepared to brag about your "success" started from high school. They want to see your hard working ethic and blind enthusiasm for everything in your life. The ride along day: a good chance to see what you are really getting yourself into. It was awkward knocking on just random people's doors of which they considered as "home businesses".

The products that this company sells are out-dated. All the small business owners know that no one looks at phone books anymore. Their three products look conflicting to each other (print, text, and the Internet) and the sales reps know this very well so they never present online presence management or text-marketing products before they sell phone books.

The business owners buy the print ads only when they got conned the first time or simply got tired of those sales reps keep bothering them over and over again. The job is mentally and physically exhausted and the products have little to no value. If you can lie to yourself everyday and throw your morals aside and think only about money, take it.

Gallatin, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was called by a recruiter who say my resume on Monster. I was then interviewed by the District Manager. Typical interview...nothing unusual....then I went with another sales rep for a few hours to watch her in action. It all happened so fast actually...I was surprised that none of my references were even contacted. That should have been a red flag to me.

Interview Question – How do you handle rejection?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing

Interview Details – Felt uncomfortable, the recruiter asked very personal questions and shared very personal information. They don't formally invite you back, each candidate must contact them if they have interest pursuing the rest of the interview process. The interview was scheduled to last 30 minutes, they kept me for over an hour due to pointless and irrelevant conversation.

Interview Question – What is your greatest life regret?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Uncomfortable interview process

B2B Sales Interview

B2B Sales
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in January 2013.

Interview Details – Arrived early, waited for 45min past scheduled appointment. Very basic, was offered the job within 20 min. Manager spoke of sales territory that I later found out did not exist. Was told I would be attending training in DeKalb. Met some very nice people, was reimbursed for travel after returning.

Interview Question – Simple questions that are very basic if you have experience in sales.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating.

South Bend, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in July 2010.

Interview Details – Very causal interview.

Interview Question – Describe your definition of hard work.   Answer Question

Community Representative Interview

Community Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing.

Interview Details – Recruiters call ANYONE AND EVERYONE... then phone interview. Then interview w DM .. THEN SCRIPT MEMORIZATION . Then hired (they hire anyone anymore) then week training then you hit the sales field solo

Negotiation Details – None

Worked for American Marketing and Publishing? Contribute to the Community!