American Marketing and Publishing

American Marketing and Publishing Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2015

2.5

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing.

Interview

I received a phone call, and setup the interview for later that week. Had to return for a second interview less than a week later. First interview was with my future manager, second was with Brenda (everyone knows Brenda). The first interview also included a skills test and lasted about an hour. The second was done in 5 minutes; I had driven 45 minutes to get there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Take it or leave it.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing (Orland Park, IL) in June 2014.

Interview

You will be called in for an interview, If you pass this stage of the interview you will go on a ride along with a Sales Rep. This ride along will show you what day to day life is like as a rep. On this ride along you will watch the rep make sales/ attempt to close previous deals. Some of the clients seemed to "hide from the sales rep"

Interview Questions

Too much driving around all day long/ I feel that phone books and print ads are a thing of the past. But not a bad company, full benefits, etc.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in May 2014.

Interview

Resume was found via Monster. Had a phone interview, followed by a Face to Face Interview. You then go on a "ride a long" with a current rep to experience a "day in the life" of an Account Manager. Final Decision made shortly thereafter.

Interview Questions

• They just expect you to sell yourself. Share your accomplishments, and explain why you are a good fit for the position. You also have to memorize a 5 paragraph script..which was challenging!   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing (Eau Claire, WI) in April 2014.

Interview

1 interview with recruiter on phone
    1 interview in person with district manager
    1 script test oral exam
    1 ride-along day in sales field with assistant district manager (same-day job offer and acceptance)
    1 week EXTREMELY high quality & rigorous training at Dekalb, IL corporate headquarters
    Placement into first canvass town

Interview Questions

• The interview ended up being just an organic conversation between me and the district manager. Very few pointed questions were asked of me. Instead, the DM just guided our discussion in a few directions to feel out my conversational style and communication abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Base salary is firm at $25000, which was scary, but my first commission check was $1000 and my first bonus check was $1200. My checks got bigger from there. I expect to make at least $50,000 this year.

Interview

Behavioral questions all the way. Be prepared to brag about your "success" started from high school. They want to see your hard working ethic and blind enthusiasm for everything in your life. The ride along day: a good chance to see what you are really getting yourself into. It was awkward knocking on just random people's doors of which they considered as "home businesses".

The products that this company sells are out-dated. All the small business owners know that no one looks at phone books anymore. Their three products look conflicting to each other (print, text, and the Internet) and the sales reps know this very well so they never present online presence management or text-marketing products before they sell phone books.

The business owners buy the print ads only when they got conned the first time or simply got tired of those sales reps keep bothering them over and over again. The job is mentally and physically exhausted and the products have little to no value. If you can lie to yourself everyday and throw your morals aside and think only about money, take it.

Interview

Felt uncomfortable, the recruiter asked very personal questions and shared very personal information. They don't formally invite you back, each candidate must contact them if they have interest pursuing the rest of the interview process. The interview was scheduled to last 30 minutes, they kept me for over an hour due to pointless and irrelevant conversation.

Uncomfortable interview process

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing (Eau Claire, WI) in March 2014.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter who conducted a phone interview. Next interviewed with the dm, very short and easy. Ride along followed by a ten paragraph sales script to memorize..

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Community Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing.

Interview

Recruiters call ANYONE AND EVERYONE... then phone interview. Then interview w DM .. THEN SCRIPT MEMORIZATION . Then hired (they hire anyone anymore) then week training then you hit the sales field solo

Negotiation

None

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Marketing and Publishing.

Interview

be energetic, bring success stories; any accomplishing plaques, ribbons, trophies

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Marketing and Publishing in January 2014.

Interview

I applied to their posting I found on the indeed job site. A full time recruiter called me within a couple of days to set up an interview. She was very professional and excited about the job. I think they really try to "sell" you on the job so you want to interview. I was told my interview would be next Thursday. Seems like the district managers are in the field four days and interview on Thursdays. If they are interviewing EVERY Thursday then their must be a lot of turnover! Interview went great until the dm figured out I was way overqualified and would be bored with the job. So we talked about her experiences for a while and the industry in general. She was very nice and professional.

Bottom line this is an entry level sales job with a 25k base and you will work hard. So hard because they track you with a GPS. If you want to get into sales and see if you can cut it this might be a good job. Not a long term career in my opinion. Lots of driving and walking door to door. I'm sure you are micromanaged with call reports, lead sheets, etc. and if you don't sell two news accounts in the first two weeks you are fired.