American Museum of Natural History Interview Questions

Updated Dec 3, 2014

2.6

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Museum of Natural History in October 2014.

The director's assistant scheduled an interview for me for three weeks from the time we spoke. The interview went very well, but the job wasn't for me. However, the director was impressed with me and called some of her connections to try to help me find a better job somewhere else. Who does that? This woman was unreal. She was kind, helpful, and positive, understanding that the current job market is really tough.

Museum Education Employment Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Museum of Natural History in April 2014.

I applied online and then had a Skype interview that lasted just about 20 minutes. It was very quick and informal. It was hard to gauge the interviewer's feedback which was a bit unnerving, but I answered the questions to the best of my ability. They definitely are interested in your past experiences at the museum/whether you grew up visiting as a child and what that was like.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much standard questions all around-- when was the last time you were at the museum? What is your relationship to it?   Answer Question
    N/A

Museum Curator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at American Museum of Natural History.

Initial communication by email, interview was a full day, very intensive.
    No feedback during interview. Your job talk is critical, as are strong people skills.

Interview Questions
    • How will you collaborate with Curators in other departments and Divisions?   View Answer

It's incredibly expensive living in NYC. AMNH has no housing benefits.

Administrative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Museum of Natural History.

Everyone was very direct and honest about the work load, hours, and responsibilities of the position. Very easy and friendly environment for an interview, and interviewed with a few different levels of management within the division. Everyone was open to explaining their role and their experience at the Museum.

Exhibit Explainer Interview

I applied to the job via the company website and promptly got called in for an interview. I was asked the standard questions and a few days later I was offered the job.

Visitor Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Museum of Natural History in October 2011.

Had about 2 interviews, one group and individual. The group was entertaining, they ask a lot about your past work experiences, how you dealt with situations, etc. The one on one is not intimidating, the supervisors are very kind, and make you feel good about answering the questions openly.

Interview Questions
    • What was your worst experience at the work place, why, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Assistant Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at American Museum of Natural History in August 2011.

I had previously worked in the museum and therefore got an interview rather quickly after applying through the career online application. The interview was conducted by two individuals and lasted almost an hour where I was asked various questions about my teaching style, administrative skills and supervisory experience. The whole interview was a little off putting as it seemed more like a formality since I had connections rather than a proper interview where I was a legitimate candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult thing about managing others?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with a problem with a volunteer that has their own teaching style rather than an employee?   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Museum of Natural History in June 2010.

It took a while for the volunteer office to get back to me, but once we were able to set an interview up everything worked out perfectly. By the end of the first interview I was already offered a position.

Guide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Museum of Natural History in May 2010.

When you go to this interview make sure you wear dressy business attire no jeans and sneakers ! I went online and applied they asked about school if you do poorly in school do not attempt to apply for any type tour guide, the supervisor will ask you what is your favorite subject , why do you like the museum ... do you come to visit often , just be yourself .... oh yeah one other thing there is a test ! you will have to know where everything in the museum is water fountains , bathrooms , ticket sale points , exhibits everything so grab a map and take a tour before you start !

Visitor Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Museum of Natural History in June 2009.

Received a call to come in for an interview about a month after resume was submitted. It was a group interview and involved a manager outlining responsibilities and duties of the position. Afterward the manager asked questions about how you would handle various situations that may arise in the course of the job. We went around the table answering.