American Museum of Natural History

Relevance Date Difficulty

Visitor Services Representative Interview

Visitor Services Representative
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Museum of Natural History in October 2011.

Interview Details – Had about 2 interviews, one group and individual. The group was entertaining, they ask a lot about your past work experiences, how you dealt with situations, etc. The one on one is not intimidating, the supervisors are very kind, and make you feel good about answering the questions openly.

Interview Question – What was your worst experience at the work place, why, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Museum Curator Interview

Museum Curator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at American Museum of Natural History.

Interview Details – Initial communication by email, interview was a full day, very intensive.
No feedback during interview. Your job talk is critical, as are strong people skills.

Interview Question – How will you collaborate with Curators in other departments and Divisions?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – It's incredibly expensive living in NYC. AMNH has no housing benefits.

Administrative Interview

Administrative

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Museum of Natural History.

Interview Details – Everyone was very direct and honest about the work load, hours, and responsibilities of the position. Very easy and friendly environment for an interview, and interviewed with a few different levels of management within the division. Everyone was open to explaining their role and their experience at the Museum.

Interview Question – Why left former position.   Answer Question

Exhibit Explainer Interview

Exhibit Explainer

Interviewed at American Museum of Natural History

Interview Details – I applied to the job via the company website and promptly got called in for an interview. I was asked the standard questions and a few days later I was offered the job.

Guide Interview

Guide
New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at American Museum of Natural History in May 2010.

Interview Details – When you go to this interview make sure you wear dressy business attire no jeans and sneakers ! I went online and applied they asked about school if you do poorly in school do not attempt to apply for any type tour guide, the supervisor will ask you what is your favorite subject , why do you like the museum ... do you come to visit often , just be yourself .... oh yeah one other thing there is a test ! you will have to know where everything in the museum is water fountains , bathrooms , ticket sale points , exhibits everything so grab a map and take a tour before you start !

Interview Questions

Assistant Coordinator Interview

Assistant Coordinator
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at American Museum of Natural History in August 2011.

Interview Details – I had previously worked in the museum and therefore got an interview rather quickly after applying through the career online application. The interview was conducted by two individuals and lasted almost an hour where I was asked various questions about my teaching style, administrative skills and supervisory experience. The whole interview was a little off putting as it seemed more like a formality since I had connections rather than a proper interview where I was a legitimate candidate.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult thing about managing others?   Answer Question
  • How would you deal with a problem with a volunteer that has their own teaching style rather than an employee?   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Volunteer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Museum of Natural History in June 2010.

Interview Details – It took a while for the volunteer office to get back to me, but once we were able to set an interview up everything worked out perfectly. By the end of the first interview I was already offered a position.

Interview Question – What are your main interests in natural science?   Answer Question

Visitor Services Representative Interview

Visitor Services Representative
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at American Museum of Natural History in June 2009.

Interview Details – Received a call to come in for an interview about a month after resume was submitted. It was a group interview and involved a manager outlining responsibilities and duties of the position. Afterward the manager asked questions about how you would handle various situations that may arise in the course of the job. We went around the table answering.

Interview Question – How would you handle a confrontation with a coworker?   Answer Question

3D Artist Interview

3D Artist

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at American Museum of Natural History in October 2010.

Interview Details – They are looking for an 3D artist to work on the new project. I was interviewed with the producer and the project manager. They describe all the detail about the exhibition and the position reversibility. They are all passionate about every piece in the museum. I can definitely feel if you want to be part on their team, you must have decent research and passion about the museum. They are very kind and gave me an free exhibition ticket. It was a great experience to get more information with the museum.

Interview Question – Taking about your reel, what field do you want to work on?   Answer Question

Worked for American Museum of Natural History? Contribute to the Community!