American Public University System Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

2.4

Online Instructor Interview

Interview

Unpaid training is illegal in the US, yet the application asks if you are willing to participate in it, and it seems they do require it. One is entitled to report illegal practices such as unpaid training to the DOL, as well as report retaliation for applicants or employees unwilling to participate in illegal practices such as unpaid training. I'm not sure how they've gotten away with this for so long, but the DOL clearly states that and there have been plenty of court cases to back it up. This is true federally, even in right to work states. I believe this information is on-topic and meaningful to a person who is seeking to understand what it is like to work or apply at this particular company.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to participate in unpaid training for several weeks?   1 Answer

Financial Aid Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Public University System in October 2013.

Interview

Very basic. Interviewer asked generic questions regarding past experience. Went into experience with customer service and how you would handle certain situations with students. Asked if there were any other people that you know within the company.

Transfer Credit Evaluator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Public University System (Manassas, VA) in September 2011.

Interview

There were 2 people in a small room that asked questions. They were not hard at all. They were really nice and down to earth so I was not that nervous.

Interview Questions

• difference scenarios from your previous work experience.   Answer Question

Online Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Public University System.

Interview

Applied online and received an email a couple weeks later. Did a phone interview with a faculty director and another online instructor. Was offered the job a few days later. Went through several weeks of unpaid training before beginning work.

Interview Questions

• How would you maintain rigor in the classroom with adult learners who have busy lives with family, work, and other obligations?   Answer Question

Worker Interview

Interview

I reviewed the job on CareerBuilder.com and applied. I received an email indicating I was chosen for an interview about three weeks later. I was interviewed by two people, HR called me and offered me the job two weeks later and I accepted. Orientation class began on day one.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really comes to mind. It was a good interview, the questions were fair and standard.   Answer Question

Financial Aid Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Public University System in March 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed in a group setting with a bunch of other people. The interviewers gave an overview of APUS and what the position was about. Then divided us up and took us in individual rooms to do individual interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe a complicated scenario you previously experienced and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, salaries are preset with no wiggle room

Academic Advisor Interview

Interview

Standard interview process. Started with phone screening with behavioral questions and situational reactions. Took about an hour to complete. I was then contacted within a week and was brought in the week after for a face to face interview. Met with 4 senior managers, who asked standard interview questions and how I'd react in certain situations.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV).

Interview

The interview was actually really nice, quite informal. I went in, spoke with the manager for about a half hour, and then joined the rest of the team for questions. In all it was about an hour.

Negotiation

Be expected to get offered a VERY low salary and there will likely be no negotiation or wiggle room.

Financial Aid Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV) in June 2011.

Interview

Group interview with 15 other candidates. We met with all the managers in the Financial Aid department, including the VP and CFO. Each candidate had one on one time with a manager. After the interview, the manager called me and said she was interested in bringing me back for a second interview to meet with the director and VP. After the second interview, HR emailed me a typing test and a reference check to complete. The whole process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There were no negotiations with this job.

IT Helpdesk Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV) in October 2012.

Interview

phone interview, followed by 3 on site interviews. Wasted almost a week's vacation time on this place, they were very disorganized. Hiring manager seemed to be a total micro manager, not letting any of her subordinates make any hiring decisions. High turnover in the IT group as well. My experience was similar to the other comment seen here, except for the fact that the person I started the interview process with quit after only 2 months on the job. What does that tell you about the management here?

Interview Questions

• never had any real technical interview questions, very general   Answer Question