American Red Cross Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.7

Volunteer Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview was approximately 2 hours long and I met with the director and my immediate manager. They also invited another volunteer manager in to the interview and I had the opportunity to ask questions about the position.

The Red Cross does not pay well at all, I took a pay cut to work in this position

Staff Nurse Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Red Cross.

There were three interviews in all. First a phone interview with HR representative with basic questions about past employment and qualifications, as well as, why you want to work for Red Cross.
    Second interview with supervisor and manager. All questions came from standard format: can you perform duties with or without reasonable accommodations, tell about a time when you gave great customer service, tell about a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker, how many times a year is it acceptable to miss work, tell about a time when your schedule was changed on short notice and were you able to accommodate. There are a few more about work behaviors and conflict resolution. Third interview was with manager, supervisor, and staff nurse and questions were very similar to previous interview. That day got offer and sent for drug screening. There was an online background check. Training started a week later.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, all wages and benefits are set by union contract

Special Events Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Red Cross in July 2014.

Applied online within a week I was contacted to do a phone interview (screening) with the recruiter. In a matter of minutes the interviewer moved me to the next step, a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager. I arrived early, waited for 20 min. before I was brought upstairs to the interview room. Two managers interviewed me. Questions were easy and they mostly asked about my experience in event management. I showed them my special events portfolio -- they seemed impressed.

Two months have passed and I was not notified either way which is always a red flag to me about a company. You at least give job seekers the courtesy of a "we went with another candidate" "we're still interviewing hang tight", or "can you come in again?"

Interview Questions
    • No questions asked were difficult to me. I know the industry, management, and had proof to show.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at American Red Cross in June 2010.

Interviewed with Direct Manager, Senior Manager of Division and CFO of Organization. Questions ranged from simple to more elaborate. Interviwers were very friendly and gave time to think and elaborate answers

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very well formulated which made easier to think over it   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Collections Technician II Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Red Cross in April 2014.

Hiring was inconsiderate they called me on a Friday at 4:45PM and wanted me to show up for training on Monday morning at 8:00AM. Unfortunately I was still employed and found it necessary to give my current employer a two week notice. Interview was typical nothing outrageous.

Traveling Phlebotomist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online - interviewed at American Red Cross in July 2014.

Straight forward On-line application, Phone interview was prompt and pleasant, Invitation to a physical interview was immediate. The atmosphere for the interview was formal but relaxed, they used an administrator plus a field manager to ask "in this situation what would you do?" questions. They were very up front about the pros and cons of the work involved. They planned to fill the positions within 2 weeks but there was no response for 'accept or deny' and no answer to inquiry at their HR.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do with an uncooperative volunteer?   View Answer

Donor Counselor I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Red Cross.

I was originally contacted by Aerotek for this position. The job was contract-to-hire. I was interviewed for one position, which no longer exists, and was turned down. However, my recruiter managed to persuade the HR rep to consider me for another position. I was then hired as a CI. On my third day of training, I was told by the HR rep that the CI position was already promised to someone else. However, I still had a job, but it was the Donor Counselor I position.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase.

Data Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Red Cross in June 2014.

Applied online, got a phone call a week later for phone screening. Phone screening was very easy. After the phone screening, interview was set up. Interview was fairly easy but I could tell my interviewer wasn't into it. She kept making faces at every answer I made, also made face when she would write down notes. The interview lasted about 15 minutes, I was in a room with about 4-5 other interviews going on at the same time so it was a bit hard to concentrate, and she didn't let me know the next steps in the process and she also didn't walk me out. Overall it was an okay experience. It really does seem like a good company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to make a major decision. What was the outcome?

Have you ever worked for a place that was regulated?
        Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Red Cross.

Was contacted by HR after submitting my resume online, they gave me an overview of the position and set up an in person interview. I was under the impression it was with one person, however, I ended up interviewing with 3 different people. 2 hours after my interview ended, I received an email that I was a final candidate and they were starting a background check. I received a voicemail a couple days later (on a Friday), I called right back, but did not get through. No response on Monday either. On Tuesday, they called to officially offer me the position and wanted me to start in less than 2 weeks. Very late notice as I had to move to a new city to accept this position!

Interview Questions
    • Most questions referred to past experiences. Ex: Tell me about a time when you encountered a challenge.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at American Red Cross in September 2013.

After submitting my application for this position in NYC office, I got a phone call to schedule an interview. I was a little surprised when I met 6 people waiting in a meeting room to interview me. In general, they were very nice. I have a feeling that interviewers of NGOs are more friendly than those in other sectors.

Interview Questions

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!