American Red Cross

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

2.7

Intern Interview

I submitted my resume to the volunteer specialist who was tasked to find and interview interns each semester. Keep in mind an internship with the local Red Cross chapter is NON-PAID (but a summer internship at the ARC headquarters in Washington, D.C. is paid)

It was a quick process. In one week the volunteer specialist contacted me for an interview, I went to do the interview, and they hired me two days later.They are looking for college students that are good at what they do (whether it's in finance, communication, outreach, or casework), but are also motivated by the mission statement of "alleviating human suffering" and want to make a difference in the community. If you only care about money, the Red Cross isn't the company for you.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Why do you want to intern at the Red Cross?
      2) Do you have a desire to continue to volunteer with us after the internship is over?
      3) What drives you everyday at work?

Answer Question

Biomed Tech I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Emails and phone calls first physical interview is later this week. Emails where informative and phone call answered all my questions. Interviewer was polite and friendly. The experience was not painful at all.

Interview Questions

Not the location or days i applied for.

Manufacturing Technician I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross in February 2015.

I applied online. A week or so later was contacted by email to give availability for a phone screening. The recruiter set up a time for us two days later. The phone screening was a few standard questions like why I applied for this job and we talked a little about my work experience. She told me the starting pay, details about the orientation process, and basics about the job. The woman was very very nice. She then set me up for an interview for the next week with the management of the department. I also then had to fill out another application online. The face to face interview was very standard. The interviewer was very nice as well and she told me all about the job the good and bad. She had a piece of paper with a list of questions and we went throught them, very easy. I asked her a couple of questions and then she gave me a tour of the lab. She told me everything there is to know about the position and informed me of the orientation dates. All I have to do is contact the recruiter if I wanted to continue with orientation and/or if had any questions.

Interview Questions
    • None. Very very basic questions. Practice and you'll be golden.   Answer Question

The facility seemed to be very organized and well managed. The pay was a little too low. Not much negotiation room. Very repetitive duties for that position. I would become bored. I want a job where I can be more creative.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Red Cross in February 2015.

Spent most of the time asking me about very specific job requirements that weren't even on the job posting description then was told I probably wouldn't advance because I didn't have these??? If they were so critical then why aren't they on the job posting? What a waste of our time. Now I can see why they have bad employee reviews on GlassDoor. SMH

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for the American Red Cross? What is your experience in this specific area of your field (that wasn't on the job posting)? What is your experience with this particular software (that wasn't on the job posting)? You probably won't advance to the next round. Bye.   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

They moved very quickly. Phone and face interview in 1 week and offered the position the following week. The process was simple and easy to maneuver through. However, HR was ver difficult to contact to answer questions.

Disaster Program Manager Interview

I started by filling out the online application, which was followed by a phone "interview." The phone interview was more of a screening process; are you willing to travel, are you ok with unexpected events, etc. That was followed about a week later by an email which gave me 24 hours to fill out another online application which was a bit more detailed, and gave them permission to conduct a background and reference check. After I filled that out, I received a call two days later, by the recruiter, asking me if I would be willing to accept a certain salary for the position, knowing what my stated requirements were from the interview. If I had said yes, that would lead me to a second phone interview with a hiring manager for the position. Because the amount offered was significantly less than I am currently making, I turned the position down at that time.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty basic. How do you deal with change, what is your most recent accomplishment, are you willing to travel...   Answer Question

The salary that was being offered was not commensurate with the job description in my opinion, as well as being less than I was currently making.

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross.

The two interview process was easy and not intimidating at all. Just come prepared with facts on the mission. Everyone was very friendly and was open to speaking with me about my thoughts and personal experiences.

Business Operations Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross in January 2015.

I applied through their online system. Note: They do not require a cover letter, just a resume. I got a call a week later to schedule a phone screening with a recruiter. The recruiter was very kind and straightforward. She explained the position and asked for salary requirements, as well as making it very clear what the position entailed and continuing to check whether I was still interested in moving forward. She immediately scheduled an in-person interview for the following week. The in-person interview was with the head of the department. Very kind and accomplished woman, the type of person you would want to be your boss.The interview lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes. Standard questions. She also explained the position in-depth and her expectations for this individual. It felt more like a friendly conversation than an interview. From there, she showed me around the building a bit and introduced me to a couple people. I asked who to follow up with and she stated the recruiter. She said it would take about 2 weeks to learn of the results. I learned less than a week later that my application was denied. Very surprised and disappointed given how the process went.

Special Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Started with a phone screen and then a few days later came in for an in person meeting. The ARC has a great mission but when I met with what would have been my potential managers they seemed a little scatter brained. The first woman I met with was quick to give me all the negatives about the job and gave a bit too much information about committee group organizers and how rich and snobbish they were, which was awkward... Then I met with her manager and when we were done she came back into the room running saying "I'm on the phone with a donor, but do you have anymore questions?!". It was a bit unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Basic walk through my resume and event experience, if I was comfortable handling many projects at once while working with many diverse personalities   Answer Question

Disaster Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Takes a very long time. Interview process is pretty routine (along length gaps with no communication). The hiring process was a little clunky with salary negotiations being reduced at the last minute (unethical)

not a good negotiation. felt a little deceived and double-crossed. not very ethical.