American Red Cross Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

2.6

Special Events Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The process was very simple. I had two phone interviews. One with the Youth Programs Coordinator and another with the Development Coordinator. I didn't even have an in person interview.

Volunteer Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

First there was a phone interview with HR personnel located in Alabama (I'm in Portland Oregon). Next I attended two interviews in person with staff at the local Red Cross headquarters. Both interviews went fine. The staff were nice and friendly. Prior to the interview I did an internet search of good interview questions for "volunteer coordinator." The list I found online was the exact list-word for word-that they asked me. So, they put minimal effort into the interview process. I was required to complete an online "skills test" between the interviews. This was a basic how-to for using Microsoft Word and Excel. It included simple tasks like setting up a mail merge in Word, and putting formulas into Excel (not brain surgery). Following the interview they never bothered to contact me to let me know I didn't get the job (which after essentially three interviews, is extremely rude and unprofessional). I had to contact them several times before I was notified that I did not get the job offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell us about the responsibilities in your current/most recent job that relate to working with volunteers. What special skills or knowledge did you need to perform these duties? What have you done to improve your knowledge/skills? 2. Tell us about your experiences using a database to manage personnel records. 3. What achievements are you most proud of with regard to volunteer coordination? 4. How do you feel about public speaking and doing presentations? Tell us about any training/presenting experience you have had. 5. Tell us about a problem you experienced with regard to volunteer coordination, something you found difficult to handle, and how you handled it. 6. How important was communication and interaction with others in your previous job? What other individuals and departments did you work with on a regular basis? Did you encounter any challenges in working with other departments? 7. What was more important on your job, written or oral communication? 8. What personal qualities do you think are necessary to make a success of this job? 9. Have you worked as a member of a team before? What was it like? Did you work alone much in your previous job? 10. Do you see any advantages and/or disadvantages to working on a team? Please explain. 11. In working with new people, how do you go about getting an understanding of them? Can you give us some examples of how you have done this in the past? 12. What kinds of people did you have contact with on your previous jobs (personality types, age differences, cultural differences, etc.)? What things did you do differently with each of these different types of people in order to get your job done? 13. How many projects can you handle at a time? How many projects do you like to handle at one time? 14. Describe a project that required a high amount of energy over an extended period of time. What did you do to keep your enthusiasm up? When you’ve had a great deal of work to do that requires extra effort and time, where does your energy come from? 15. Tell us about a time when you came up with a new method or idea. How did you get it approved and implemented? Can you think of a time when another idea or project was rejected? Why was it rejected and what did you do about it? 16. Is volunteer coordination the type of career you want for yourself? 17. Tell me about your previous experiences recruiting volunteers (for example, how you did it, how many volunteers you had to recruit annually, whether you ever had to recruit volunteers for a sudden need, etc.). 18. Describe your experience creating position descriptions for volunteers. 19. How would you recognize/reward volunteers for their contributions? 20. Who were your volunteers (seniors? women? youth?)? 21. Do you have experience actively recruiting volunteers from a particular demographic? 22. What was your turnover rate like among volunteers? Did most return to volunteer again? 23. What reasons did volunteers give when they stopped volunteering for your organization? 24. What are some of the biggest challenges you have faced in working with volunteers, and how have you dealt with them? 25. Describe your interpersonal and communication style. What do you see as your greatest interpersonal strengths? If we were to talk with people you have worked with, what do you think they would say about your ability to communicate? 26. If you had a volunteer who did not seem to be a good match for a particular position, how would you address it? 27. How do you keep track of the details of a project? What kind of system would you put in place to ensure that we have enough volunteers to staff a particular project? What systems have you implemented in the past? 28. How have you maintained an active and involved volunteer team in the past? 29. Tell us about your experience rallying volunteer support for a specific activity. 30. What is your experience prioritizing multiple volunteer needs within an organization? 30. What would you do if you were overwhelmed by the requests for volunteers or support from you in you role as the volunteer coordinator?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waipahu, HI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Waipahu, HI) in August 2015.

Interview

2 interviews, computer test to establish writing skills and general knowledge of following directions. 1st interview was with COO alone and the second was with both the COO and CEO.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Tight budget no negotiating.

Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

First had very pleasant and easy phone interview. In-person interview 2 weeks later. Was called with an offer the next week. The interviewers were personable but professional. I was impressed by how structured the interview questions were. There was none of the usual "tell us your greatest strengths/weaknesses." The questions all applied directly to the job.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I've handled difficult situations with volunteers.   Answer Question

Distribution Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dorchester, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Dorchester, SC) in August 2015.

Interview

My first interview was an phone interview. She was very pleasant and helpful. She gave me a lot of information about the next process that I will have to go through in order to get the position. She gave me the opportunity to ask questions and also state any concerns that I have.

Interview Questions

• They asked, What interest me in applying for the position?   1 Answer

Training Scheduler1 Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross in August 2015.

Interview

There is a two part interview. You interview with someone at the main headquarters then someone from your region. If you are picked there is a third interview. The first interview was a little more nerve wrecking then the second but the first person was very laid back. The second interview lasted about 30 minutes which went by pretty fast.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the Red Cross? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

I first received an email notifying me that I was being considered about a week later I did a phone interview which was easy the HR lady just basically wanted to establish that I had a degree. I was then scheduled for an in person interview they were very friendly and the conversation flowed well. After the interview they gave me a tour of the work area and I met the other team members. They did let me know that they were considering many candidates for this 1 position and I would know by next week. The next day I received an email informing me that I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• Why the RedCross Describe a time when you had to follow directions from a paper they described their ideal candidate and asked questions pertaining to that   Answer Question

Accounts Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Wilmington, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

She was really nice and laid back, so it wasn't really stressful. She started by asking me to tell her about myself and then she offered to tell me about the position and it's requirements. It went really well and I am going in for an in person interview.

Account/Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross (Boston, MA).

Interview

Applied online. Was interviewed on the phone then called for a face to face interview. There is a full background check and drug testing to start (some colleges were not required to take a drug test).

Interview Questions

• What do like most about your current position?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Red Cross in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, I received a call from Charlotte, NC talent recruitment for a brief phone screening. The screening lasted 10 mins, and was immediately scheduled for a 1:1 interview for the next wk. My situation is different because I initially applied for the Collections Tech that required me to travel and prepare blood drives. I loved the job but the hours were inconvenient for me as a wife, mom, and student. I inquired any other available positions, particularly on-site. I was introduced to another manager where I conducted a 2nd interview for this position. I nailed it, but was told I had to get word from HR before moving forward. I was received a email for a background/drug screening the same day. A wk later I had a 3rd interview with the supervisor of the dept. The day after, a offer was made by HR.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle dealing with multiple personalities?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Your starting wage is based off of experience and there is no negotiations. HR will determine this.