American Red Cross

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

2.7

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Was contacted by HR after submitting my resume online, they gave me an overview of the position and set up an in person interview. I was under the impression it was with one person, however, I ended up interviewing with 3 different people. 2 hours after my interview ended, I received an email that I was a final candidate and they were starting a background check. I received a voicemail a couple days later (on a Friday), I called right back, but did not get through. No response on Monday either. On Tuesday, they called to officially offer me the position and wanted me to start in less than 2 weeks. Very late notice as I had to move to a new city to accept this position!

Interview Questions
    • Most questions referred to past experiences. Ex: Tell me about a time when you encountered a challenge.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Special Events Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Red Cross in July 2014.

Applied online within a week I was contacted to do a phone interview (screening) with the recruiter. In a matter of minutes the interviewer moved me to the next step, a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager. I arrived early, waited for 20 min. before I was brought upstairs to the interview room. Two managers interviewed me. Questions were easy and they mostly asked about my experience in event management. I showed them my special events portfolio -- they seemed impressed.

Two months have passed and I was not notified either way which is always a red flag to me about a company. You at least give job seekers the courtesy of a "we went with another candidate" "we're still interviewing hang tight", or "can you come in again?"

Interview Questions
    • No questions asked were difficult to me. I know the industry, management, and had proof to show.   Answer Question

Events Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Red Cross in July 2014.

Applied online and they contacted me from DC two days later. Set up phone interview. During phone interview they laid out the position, which included planning events, raising money with those events, stewardship, and raising money on top of that through a donor portfolio. I agreed to the job (which sounded like a lot to be responsible for). They asked me how much I made, and when I told them, they said they only budgeted little over $35K and asked if I would go down to that. Seeing as how the job description was very robust and I was making more with less responsibility, I declined. The interview ended right there with the recruiter thanking me for my time.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't get to answer any, other than agree to job description.   Answer Question

Traveling Phlebotomist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross in July 2014.

Straight forward On-line application, Phone interview was prompt and pleasant, Invitation to a physical interview was immediate. The atmosphere for the interview was formal but relaxed, they used an administrator plus a field manager to ask "in this situation what would you do?" questions. They were very up front about the pros and cons of the work involved. They planned to fill the positions within 2 weeks but there was no response for 'accept or deny' and no answer to inquiry at their HR.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do with an uncooperative volunteer?   View Answer

Disaster Services Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross in June 2014.

Applied on-line and received phone interview in about a week. Easy questions, such as tell us about yourself, why do you want to work for us, etc. The biggest issue was the salary of 40K for a manager in charge of a 8 county region. I can see why the position sits open for a long time. The interviewer was friendly and seemed to be upfront about the position. The interview was cut short when the salary was mentioned.

Interview Questions

The salary was well below an acceptable amount for the position.

Donor Recruitment Representative, Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross in June 2014.

I was contacted via email by a talent strategist to schedule a initial phone interview. The phone interview went well. It was basic questions, What is an achievement from this past year, what is an example of a failure, tell me about a time when you absolutely could not meet the needs of a customer and how you handled it, etc. They also asked me to elaborate on sales and manager experience. They did ask me to share my salary expectations.

Interview Questions
    • Asking me to talk about a time I couldn't meet the customer/client's needs and how I handled it.   Answer Question
    There seems to be room for negotiation. They asked about salary in the phone interview however I've only been invited to the 1:1 interview and not sure if I will get a final offer yet.

Donor Recruitment, Blood Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross.

I was interviewed via phone three times in all. the first two interviews were by someone local, and then the last interview was with a person at a larger office.

Interview Questions
    • Common behavioral interview questions...tell me about a difficult situation at work and how you resolved it, tell me about a time you failed...   View Answer

Data Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross in June 2014.

Applied online, got a phone call a week later for phone screening. Phone screening was very easy. After the phone screening, interview was set up. Interview was fairly easy but I could tell my interviewer wasn't into it. She kept making faces at every answer I made, also made face when she would write down notes. The interview lasted about 15 minutes, I was in a room with about 4-5 other interviews going on at the same time so it was a bit hard to concentrate, and she didn't let me know the next steps in the process and she also didn't walk me out. Overall it was an okay experience. It really does seem like a good company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to make a major decision. What was the outcome?

Have you ever worked for a place that was regulated?

Answer Question

, Information Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross in May 2014.

Fairly easy - only phone interviews. "First" round interview isn't an interview at all, it's just a phone call to schedule the next interview. They pick all interviews based on resume. Second round interview is over the phone (even if you're in the area), questions ranged from "How good are you with Excel?" to "Why Red Cross?" The Red Cross is all about their mission statement, so talk about that. Questions were not hard. Usually there is a third round interview, but it's the same as the second round interview only with a different team member.

Note: this format is the same for any ARC HQ Internship

Interview Questions
    • How would you react if your deadline for a project got extended? They said they had to ask this question, but it was weird because usually a project extension isn't 1) a thing unless you ask for it (it's not usually just handed out) or 2) a problem.   View Answer
    Payment depends on the department's budget. This department is unpaid, which means it should be less than 40 hours a week, but my boss wanted me to stay 40 hours a week anyway.

Collections Technician II Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross in April 2014.

Hiring was inconsiderate they called me on a Friday at 4:45PM and wanted me to show up for training on Monday morning at 8:00AM. Unfortunately I was still employed and found it necessary to give my current employer a two week notice. Interview was typical nothing outrageous.