American Red Cross Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.6

Manufacturing Supervisor Interview

Interview

Phone interview, then in-person interview. During the interview they went over my previous work experience and asked how my previous experience will help in the job I was applying for.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Willing to negotiate

Volunteer Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

Interview was approximately 2 hours long and I met with the director and my immediate manager. They also invited another volunteer manager in to the interview and I had the opportunity to ask questions about the position.

Negotiation

The Red Cross does not pay well at all, I took a pay cut to work in this position

Staff Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

There were three interviews in all. First a phone interview with HR representative with basic questions about past employment and qualifications, as well as, why you want to work for Red Cross.
    Second interview with supervisor and manager. All questions came from standard format: can you perform duties with or without reasonable accommodations, tell about a time when you gave great customer service, tell about a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker, how many times a year is it acceptable to miss work, tell about a time when your schedule was changed on short notice and were you able to accommodate. There are a few more about work behaviors and conflict resolution. Third interview was with manager, supervisor, and staff nurse and questions were very similar to previous interview. That day got offer and sent for drug screening. There was an online background check. Training started a week later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations, all wages and benefits are set by union contract

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

Was contacted by HR after submitting my resume online, they gave me an overview of the position and set up an in person interview. I was under the impression it was with one person, however, I ended up interviewing with 3 different people. 2 hours after my interview ended, I received an email that I was a final candidate and they were starting a background check. I received a voicemail a couple days later (on a Friday), I called right back, but did not get through. No response on Monday either. On Tuesday, they called to officially offer me the position and wanted me to start in less than 2 weeks. Very late notice as I had to move to a new city to accept this position!

Interview Questions

• Most questions referred to past experiences. Ex: Tell me about a time when you encountered a challenge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Donor Counselor I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Red Cross (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

I was originally contacted by Aerotek for this position. The job was contract-to-hire. I was interviewed for one position, which no longer exists, and was turned down. However, my recruiter managed to persuade the HR rep to consider me for another position. I was then hired as a CI. On my third day of training, I was told by the HR rep that the CI position was already promised to someone else. However, I still had a job, but it was the Donor Counselor I position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

Special Events Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Red Cross (Houston, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online within a week I was contacted to do a phone interview (screening) with the recruiter. In a matter of minutes the interviewer moved me to the next step, a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager. I arrived early, waited for 20 min. before I was brought upstairs to the interview room. Two managers interviewed me. Questions were easy and they mostly asked about my experience in event management. I showed them my special events portfolio -- they seemed impressed.

Two months have passed and I was not notified either way which is always a red flag to me about a company. You at least give job seekers the courtesy of a "we went with another candidate" "we're still interviewing hang tight", or "can you come in again?"

Interview Questions

• No questions asked were difficult to me. I know the industry, management, and had proof to show.   Answer Question

Events Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Red Cross (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online and they contacted me from DC two days later. Set up phone interview. During phone interview they laid out the position, which included planning events, raising money with those events, stewardship, and raising money on top of that through a donor portfolio. I agreed to the job (which sounded like a lot to be responsible for). They asked me how much I made, and when I told them, they said they only budgeted little over $35K and asked if I would go down to that. Seeing as how the job description was very robust and I was making more with less responsibility, I declined. The interview ended right there with the recruiter thanking me for my time.

Interview Questions

• Didn't get to answer any, other than agree to job description.   Answer Question

Traveling Phlebotomist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2014.

Interview

Straight forward On-line application, Phone interview was prompt and pleasant, Invitation to a physical interview was immediate. The atmosphere for the interview was formal but relaxed, they used an administrator plus a field manager to ask "in this situation what would you do?" questions. They were very up front about the pros and cons of the work involved. They planned to fill the positions within 2 weeks but there was no response for 'accept or deny' and no answer to inquiry at their HR.

Interview Questions

• What would you do with an uncooperative volunteer?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross in June 2014.

Interview

Applied on-line and received phone interview in about a week. Easy questions, such as tell us about yourself, why do you want to work for us, etc. The biggest issue was the salary of 40K for a manager in charge of a 8 county region. I can see why the position sits open for a long time. The interviewer was friendly and seemed to be upfront about the position. The interview was cut short when the salary was mentioned.

Interview Questions

The salary was well below an acceptable amount for the position.

Donor Recruitment Representative, Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross (Roanoke, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

I was contacted via email by a talent strategist to schedule a initial phone interview. The phone interview went well. It was basic questions, What is an achievement from this past year, what is an example of a failure, tell me about a time when you absolutely could not meet the needs of a customer and how you handled it, etc. They also asked me to elaborate on sales and manager experience. They did ask me to share my salary expectations.

Interview Questions

• Asking me to talk about a time I couldn't meet the customer/client's needs and how I handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There seems to be room for negotiation. They asked about salary in the phone interview however I've only been invited to the 1:1 interview and not sure if I will get a final offer yet.