American Red Cross Staff Nurse Interview Questions

Staff Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Red Cross.

Interview

There were three interviews in all. First a phone interview with HR representative with basic questions about past employment and qualifications, as well as, why you want to work for Red Cross.
Second interview with supervisor and manager. All questions came from standard format: can you perform duties with or without reasonable accommodations, tell about a time when you gave great customer service, tell about a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker, how many times a year is it acceptable to miss work, tell about a time when your schedule was changed on short notice and were you able to accommodate. There are a few more about work behaviors and conflict resolution. Third interview was with manager, supervisor, and staff nurse and questions were very similar to previous interview. That day got offer and sent for drug screening. There was an online background check. Training started a week later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations, all wages and benefits are set by union contract

Other Interview Reviews for American Red Cross

Staff Nurse Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Red Cross (Portland, OR) in November 2008.

Interview

Contacted by HR employee. 2 interviews, the first of which was an initial phone interview with same HR rep; the second, a sit-down with two senior managers in the Collections department.
    The phone interview was very relaxed, but I was well-prepared with notes in front of me regarding general difficult questions that may have come up, and my strengths as they related to the job description itself (I am sort of a nervous interviewer). I felt like my interviewer was very empathetic and nice about the way she framed her questions; not at all adversarial.
    I received a call back two days later and scheduled an in-person interview.
    The in-person interview was conducted by two department supervisors, Collections Operations Managers. Much managerial restructuring has taken place since my interview in 2008, but my interviewers were basically three supervisory tiers above me. I believe that number would now be two, as one managerial level has been eliminated recently. But they were department heads.
    The meeting was very professional; definitely not a touchy-feely experience. The Red Cross wants to make sure they're hiring someone who takes their work seriously, and is able to follow instructions to the absolute letter, with few deviations, because this kind of adherence to procedure is vitally important to the safe collection of lifesaving blood. So, jokesters take note, I guess.

Interview Questions

• I do not remember word-for-word what the most difficult question was, but as far as I remember it had to do with a difficult situation I had faced at work-- conflict or something (I should have researched this type of question beforehand)--- and how I had handled it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The American Red Cross pays nurses considerably less than what you might find in another venue, so bear that in mind going into the negotiation process. [I strongly advise against this nursing job being one's first nursing job, as it was mine-- there is almost no upward mobility here that is meaningful, there is very little critical thinking involved in the job, there is no aspect which is technically considered "patent care" by other hiring institutions. However, it is a wonderful place to work if you have no other option, if you're planning on leaving after 6 months but before one year, or if you are on the outward sweep of your career and want a cushy union (for now) job where you don't have to pull anybody up in bed, risk making a med error, or have to talk to any sick person's family. This, by the way, is why you get paid less. It's still a really important job, and it still helps to be knowledgable, meticulous, and empathetic.]