American Systems

Updated Nov 4, 2014
Updated Nov 4, 2014

2.5

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Systems.

The hiring process begins online where you turn in an application for the open vacancy. The application is sent to their headquarters in Chantilly, VA. The HR team reviews the application to see if it meets the job requirements and then forwards it to the line manager who will be managing the open position. If she or he likes your resume they will tell Chantilly HR who will set up the interview. Interviews are done in person. After the interview you will be notified by phone from Chantilly if you received the position.
    Unless you work for corporate headquarters all positions are government contract positions and all availability is subject to the contract.

Interview Questions
    • What is a point in time when you have had to deal with an upset customer? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    Because of the government contracting nature no negotiation was allowed.

Program Manager II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Systems in September 2014.

I was contacted by email by company internal recruiter based on my LinkedIn profile. I then had a telephone interview with him. I was then invited for in-office panel interview. HR followed-up twice with progress (i.e., client insisted on being presented two candidates). Very professional.

Interview Questions
    • How would I deal with those in a part of the military different than the part I came from?   View Answer

Computer Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Systems.

Was a relaxed interview atmosphere where they concentrated on my experience not on typical interview questions. They asked me to explain what I did at my previous job and how it related to the position that I was applying for. I felt very welcomed by the entire staff and it was overall I very positive experience.

Human Resources Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at American Systems.

Great exposure to both the Human Resources team, Executive team and key leaders in the Operations team during the interview process. All my interview questions were answered accurately and candidly. You could clearly feel the "team spirit" within the company during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • could you stay a few hours longer than we originally planned to meet other people in the company (which was a great question to receive).   Answer Question

Accounts Payable Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Systems.

Manager not really a "manager". nice person, but no management skills

there was none

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Systems in January 2014.

I sent in my resume and cover letter. I received a call that day to set up a phone interview time.

The phone interview was very straight forward, basic question about interests to see if the position was a fit. The next day I received a call to schedule an in-person interview.

The in-person interview lasted between 2-3 hours. I met with several key people such as the VP of the department, the direct supervisor, and other coworkers.

The day after I received a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about current economic policy?   View Answer

Junior Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Systems.

Hiring process was straight forward and simple, 3 phone interviews with different engineers. Some technical questions but nothing really out of the ordinary. There was also an HR screening. HR screening consisted primarily of a pre-screening to see potential to pass a security check. The first interview covered basic overview of American Systems and the operating environment. The next one included technical questions about circuit diagrams and lab equipment. Final interview consisted of 2 or three personal questions

Interview Questions
    • Describe in words what and inductor, capacitor and op-amp look like in a circuit diagram   Answer Question
    The salary offer was a bit lower than normal but they did mention that American Systems had an ESOP to bolster their lower offer. However, they're very cagey when asked to provide a dollar figure on American Systems' stock value for a new employee even after a five year vestment period.

Latent Print Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Systems in June 2013.

Phone interview and nothing else. just a few questions on chain of custody and basic forensic questions that anyone can answer. Anyone who has a criminology degree or forensic can apply and easily get the job and it takes no time at all

No negotiations. take it or leave it offer

Instructional Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Systems in November 2012.

I applied online, and a recruiter contacted me. She was positive, asked all the right questions, was very honest and direct, and answered all of my questions. Those she could not answer, she got the information and emailed it to me later. After my interview with the hiring manager, the recruiter called me back to explain further details of the situation with the government client, and the status of the contract and task order. She also was generous with her time in explaining the overall process, and why it was so drawn out. It was overall a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Actually, the recruiter did not ask me any really difficult or unexpected questions. This was my third job search in as many years and so by now there is little I have not heard before. All her questions were relevant to the job I applied for.   Answer Question
    I appreciated the recruiter's professional manner in the lengthy back-and-forth before I was hired. There were many nitty gritty details to work out, but I always received timely responses and honest answers to questions.

Corporate Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA

The process took a dayinterviewed at American Systems in May 2012.

I was invited for an interview and they completely wasted my time. Had an interview over the phone at first and that went really well, they were impressed with my experience and background. They invited me to meet with the hiring manager, but when I showed up at their office, it was very obvious that I am not their "type" They were definitely expecting a caucasian and I am hispanic. It was obvious immediately that they were put off by my ethnicity, even though I have more than 20 years of experience, a masters degree and speak three languages fluently.
    They made a lame excuse about the hiring manager being called to another meeting and dismiss me without even giving me an employment application. They do not follow EEOC and OFCCP regulations and they acted like they would prefer to see me cleaning their toilets than as an executive of their company managing staff. I have never felt more humiliated in my professional career.