American TV And Appliance

Updated Jun 8, 2014
Updated Jun 8, 2014

3.2

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at American TV And Appliance in June 2010.

The hiring and interviewing process was extremely extensive. From the initial approach through networking. Several interviews with HR, the direct manager and eventually the VP of the division.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about the gap in my employment and had to go in to very specific details about that period of time.   Answer Question

Furniture Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American TV And Appliance in August 2011.

You will be interviewed by 3 people. First the HR person. Initially you take an assessment online and the HR person will go over some of your answers from the assessment asking you the same questions to see if your answers are the same. It is a little intimidating. From there you will be interviewed by the store manager and they continue to check your answers from the online assessment. They will ask you a lot of questions about working with people, they will want examples of how you deal with problems. What you will do in your spare time. If the store manager likes you, you will then be interviewed by the manager of the department they are placing you in. That one will be the least intimidating. It is just to see if they think you will get along with everyone in the department.

Interview Questions
    No real negotiation. This is a commission based salary. They give you what is called draw. You get paid for the amount of hours you put in. If you do not make that amount in commission, the company pays you the difference. As soon as you make that up in commission, you pay them back. It is very important to work on commission only. If you don't make sales quota you will be fired within a year.

Home Theater Sales Professional Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at American TV And Appliance.

Three step interview process, starting with an HR Representative, the the Direct Manager, then the store manager.

Home Theater Sales Porfessional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Appleton, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American TV And Appliance in September 2009.

I was initially contacted after submitting an online application and a number of friends sending their recommendations to the HR manager, department manager, store manager, and district store manager. The first contact was through a brief phone interview (no prior notice was given as to the call being an actual interview so be prepare the second you submit an application) and this call lasted roughly 45 minutes. At the end of this interview I was asked if I would like to set up an in person interview and graciously accepted. The second interview was a week later with the HR manager first. This portion was primarily to generally weed out applicants that are completely unqualified for the environment. At the end of this meeting, I was led into the conference room and asked to wait for a few moments. A few minutes later the home theater department manager came in, shook my hand, and greeted me. He was dressed professionally and was very prepared for the interview. He first asked general questions about my resume and prior experience, after I had finished explaining he had said that it matched up, while clearly being more modest, to what my friends who had worked with me before and were currently working there had said about me and my experience. He then ran me through some examples of what it's like to work on commission (granted in the times when he was still on commission and not salaried, which was a much more profitable time for electronics sales). At the end of this interview he had stated that if the final decision was up to him, he'd hire me on the spot then stated that I should expect a call from the store and district managers soon. The call actually came from the HR manager to set up an in person meeting in a week. The final interview was a mix of mock sales to test the skills required and see if its a good fit and of explaining benefits and pay you should expect. They then ended the interview and stated they will call with their final decision shortly. I got a heads up on getting hired later on in the day of the final interview from my friends who learned of this from the department manager. The actual offer of employment came 3-4 days later via phone.

Interview Questions
    • The running of mock sales and situations, unexpected and a great change of pace.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation on salary due to it being a commission based position.

Visual Designer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American TV And Appliance.

Interview with HR, then VP of Department. then they give you an Area of the store to Design. If they like it they will ask you to come back. If not they will let you know on the spot if its what there looking for.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

The process took a day - interviewed at American TV And Appliance in September 2008.

Store was just opening and they seemed to be interested in people who could sell.

Interview Questions
    • Do you believe everyone has stolen at some point at there job?   View Answer
    No negotioan.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American TV And Appliance in April 2010.

The interview process was very detailed and focused on the individuals capacity to develop their skill set, and make customers feel comfortable and welcome. The first interview was conducted by the HR manager, and really was more of a screening process, designed presumably to weed out any weak candidates. The second interview was conducted by the department manager and the Stores General manager. This second interview really seemed to be the most important. Both interviewers asked several questions to test the accuracy of the information on the application, keep the applicant on their toes by forcing them to think through answers on complex situations, and to ensure that the candidate's perception of what the jobs responsibilities are were accurate. The interviewers were very upfront with what the jobs expectations are, and even went so far as to state that it is just as important for me (the interviewee) to understand about the company, as it is for them to understand about me. This was refreshing!! A company who is interested in a good fit for both parties? Wow!!!! My only advice is, be forthright, and do not BS they are very sharp and are obviously well trained at what they do, besides, they seem more interested in hiring someone who is willing to learn than a know it all who they need to re-train. The third and final interview was really more of a final check in and consisted primarily of a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between pushy and persistent?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to break a rule or policy for the right reason.   View Answer
    N/A

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Johnston, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnston, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American TV And Appliance in September 2009.

First interviewed with HR. Did an interview with basic questions. Next had interview with department manager. Basic questions were asked again. Next interviewed with Store manager and was asked to just start a conversation with a random stranger. After i was interviewed by the store manager, i was then interviewed by video conference with another HR person.

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American TV And Appliance in August 2008.

It starts with an easy interview with the HR manager. That interview just makes sure you're a fully functioning person who wouldn't be an embarrassment to hire. It if followed by a interview with a department manager and in my case the store manager. This was a brutal interview. I was interrogated by the store manager who made the job seem terrible. He asked a number of impossible questions that made me uncomfortable. I also had to lie a few times because i had never dealt with the situations he told me about.

Interview Questions
    • This job is a commissioned sales job, you can determine your own success, how do you think you'll handle that.   View Answer
    There wasn't one. Remember if management is your goal, and they offer you sales, then this job is probably not what you want.

Home Office Sales Interview

Interview was straightforward - HR responded quickly, there was no waiting around for replies.

Interview Questions

Worked for American TV And Appliance? Contribute to the Community!