American University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

2.6

Foreign Language Coach Interview

-Reached out to the supervisor and expressed interests of applying
    -Got confirmed of interview date over email
    -Conducted an on-site interview to talk about resume, past experiences, and strength to contribute. The interview lasts for about 30 minutes
    -Got the offer, negotiated schedule, and got started

Academic Advisor Interview

There were two interviews- the first was a phone interview followed by on-campus. The on campus interview consisted of meeting and interviewing with my supervisor and one other advisor. I found a great deal of value in their interview process as they did not just ask canned questions and rather were interested in learning more about me as a person and seeing if I would fit and work well with the office and supervisor.

Recruitment Specialist Interview

Good agenda.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected asked all the standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American University.

All hiring through Housing & Dining follows the same format- they will ask you "about a time you ____" and expect a three part response. First, explain the situation you encountered in relative detail but briefly. Second, explain the steps you took to approach the problem or challenge. Third, explain the results AND any feedback you got on your actions. This may seem remedial, but it's important to hit all three as this is literally the order in which they record your response and their thoughts on each piece.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you worked with someone different from you.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation.

Desk Receptionist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American University.

Application process conducted online. Contacted later via email that I had received an interview. Interview process was concise and predictable. Single round of interviews. 30-45 minute interview. All behavioral questions.

None.

Police Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American University in February 2014.

Fairly short. They had brought me in for a group interview/orientation. Then we had to come in for a panel interview with other Police Officers and a short writing test, then we had a panel interview with management. It was all pretty standard questions. After a background check was conducted and they called our references. After that we where probationally highered and we had to do a drug test and couldn't have any felonies on our record.

I did not negotiate.

Media Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American University.

You will put in an application (usually online), if you are selected you will do three additional interviews: a basic phone interview with low level admin, an in-depth interview with the library HR rep, and then a through interview with the department supervisors.

Interview Questions
    • How will you discipline employees that are roughly your same age?   Answer Question
    Positions are paid hourly or salaried depending on set groups. You may qualify for the higher end of the band, but to my knowledge, you cannot get paid more.

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American University.

Sat down and had a cup of coffee with the professor

Interview Questions
    • Where do you want to be after your 2 years are done at American University?   Answer Question
    Very easy

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American University.

The hiring and interview process was smooth and relatively easy. It was more of a conversation with a senior staff member who seemed to have already made their decision following the initial phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Again, the interview was more of a conversation than an interview with tough questions. Also, the person i interviewed with talked more and i listened.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate relocation expenses.

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American University in August 2011.

Was called by future boss about coming in for an interview. The interview itself made it seem like the job would keep me very busy (in a good way), though that's not how it turned out. My future boss was very friendly, sometimes a little too chatty and repetitive, but nice. Did a writing test to see if I could match their style and tone. Was brought in for a second interview with two team members, which was a little awkward because I wasn't sure how I'd actually be working with them. They seemed like they weren't sure why they had to meet with me.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about interpreting a scientist's research for a layperson?   Answer Question
    I took a pay cut for this job, so they knew they had to offer me the highest end of the salary range.