American University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2015

2.7

Office Assistant Interview

Interview

Quick and easy process, interviewed with supervisor only before being offered the position. I met the team after being hired. Mostly general experience questions and some follow up based on those responses. It helped that I knew someone working there and they were able to recommend me.

Business Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American University in March 2015.

Interview

First, I had the opportunity to have a phone interview with one of the HR Recruiters for the Business Assistant position. Our conversation went well, and I was super excited for the next steps in the interview process. A few weeks later I received an email from the recruiter stating that they had filled the position internally, but that there was a similar position posted that she was planning to recommend me for. Soon after I applied for that position, I received an email to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager for the department. My phone interview went great, and we scheduled a second interview for the following week. Once I went in for my in-person interview, I walked out feeling confident, and then received a telephone call that afternoon from the hiring manager offering me the position. It was a relatively quick process, and HR was incredibly helpful during the entire process.

Interview Questions

• What type of work environment are you most comfortable in?   Answer Question

Career Counselor Interview

Interview

The interview was fairly simple. They want to know what you can contribute, how you go about looking for job openings for students, etc. They prefer people who have some experience as a practicing attorney and are now looking to make a change in careers. Make sure you can answer why you no longer wish to practice.

Foreign Language Coach Interview

Interview

-Reached out to the supervisor and expressed interests of applying -Got confirmed of interview date over email -Conducted an on-site interview to talk about resume, past experiences, and strength to contribute. The interview lasts for about 30 minutes -Got the offer, negotiated schedule, and got started

Academic Advisor Interview

Interview

There were two interviews- the first was a phone interview followed by on-campus. The on campus interview consisted of meeting and interviewing with my supervisor and one other advisor. I found a great deal of value in their interview process as they did not just ask canned questions and rather were interested in learning more about me as a person and seeing if I would fit and work well with the office and supervisor.

Program Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process included, a phone screen, one to one interview with Ready Hire, and an interview with the department. I was hire within 2 business days of interviewing with the department. The whole process was about one month, 2 weeks from application to phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Name one of your biggest challenges within your current position   Answer Question

Interview

Good agenda.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected asked all the standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American University.

Interview

All hiring through Housing & Dining follows the same format- they will ask you "about a time you ____" and expect a three part response. First, explain the situation you encountered in relative detail but briefly. Second, explain the steps you took to approach the problem or challenge. Third, explain the results AND any feedback you got on your actions. This may seem remedial, but it's important to hit all three as this is literally the order in which they record your response and their thoughts on each piece.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked with someone different from you.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Program Specialist- School of Public Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

I had one in person interview. I applied in mid December and had the interview in mid February and started Mar 3. I interviewed with my now supervisor and now direct co-worker. It was very laid back and took about 30-40 min. I felt very comfortable. The recruiter who emailed me was very helpful before and after the process. I received an offer within a week of my interview.

Desk Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American University.

Interview

Application process conducted online. Contacted later via email that I had received an interview. Interview process was concise and predictable. Single round of interviews. 30-45 minute interview. All behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None.