American University Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.8

Program Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process included, a phone screen, one to one interview with Ready Hire, and an interview with the department. I was hire within 2 business days of interviewing with the department. The whole process was about one month, 2 weeks from application to phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Name one of your biggest challenges within your current position   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

I had one in person interview. I applied in mid December and had the interview in mid February and started Mar 3. I interviewed with my now supervisor and now direct co-worker. It was very laid back and took about 30-40 min. I felt very comfortable. The recruiter who emailed me was very helpful before and after the process. I received an offer within a week of my interview.

Police Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

Fairly short. They had brought me in for a group interview/orientation. Then we had to come in for a panel interview with other Police Officers and a short writing test, then we had a panel interview with management. It was all pretty standard questions. After a background check was conducted and they called our references. After that we where probationally highered and we had to do a drug test and couldn't have any felonies on our record.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Contract Assignment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

Standard review of statement of work and my portfolio. I spoke to the person supervising the work and then to his manager. We went back and forth on the final statement of work. After some changes on deliverables and fees everything worked out fine.

Interview Questions

• When can you start work? What is your standard rate per hour?   Answer Question

Negotiation

We negotiated over and over again but it was OK. They are tough but fair.

Media Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC).

Interview

You will put in an application (usually online), if you are selected you will do three additional interviews: a basic phone interview with low level admin, an in-depth interview with the library HR rep, and then a through interview with the department supervisors.

Interview Questions

• How will you discipline employees that are roughly your same age?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Positions are paid hourly or salaried depending on set groups. You may qualify for the higher end of the band, but to my knowledge, you cannot get paid more.

University Police Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

Initial Orientation: Describing job duties, benefits and department structure. Writing Sample: Evaluating grammar, problem resolution and composition. Basic Screening Interview: Opportunity for candidate to display skills and experience. Two Panel Interviews: Peer/ Officer Level & Supervisor/ Command Level -Approximately 15 behavioral questions are asked in each panel. -Candidate should respond to questions by producing a specific example or task, action they took and the result. Background Check & Reference Investigation

Interview Questions

• Give an example of time when you faced a problem, used discretion and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

The interview was apart of the graduate school application process. It was not typical job interview. I applied for graduate school and the job was apart of my financial package.

Office Assistant (Student) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in August 2011.

Interview

A simple phone-call to schedule an in-person interview - as a student, what's more important is your availability as opposed to your ability. Never be afraid as a student to make yourself more available and more times, because that will go a much longer way to getting employed.

Negotiation

No negotiation - as a student, the university has a set rate at which they pay you.

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in August 2011.

Interview

Was called by future boss about coming in for an interview. The interview itself made it seem like the job would keep me very busy (in a good way), though that's not how it turned out. My future boss was very friendly, sometimes a little too chatty and repetitive, but nice. Did a writing test to see if I could match their style and tone. Was brought in for a second interview with two team members, which was a little awkward because I wasn't sure how I'd actually be working with them. They seemed like they weren't sure why they had to meet with me.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about interpreting a scientist's research for a layperson?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I took a pay cut for this job, so they knew they had to offer me the highest end of the salary range.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in July 2011.

Interview

Received an email from the professor. Set up a time/date and went to her office to meet with her. Asked questions about interest, background, and ability to perform required duties. Went very well and received offer later in the week