American University Interview Questions in Washington, DC

2.5

Police Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American University in February 2014.

Fairly short. They had brought me in for a group interview/orientation. Then we had to come in for a panel interview with other Police Officers and a short writing test, then we had a panel interview with management. It was all pretty standard questions. After a background check was conducted and they called our references. After that we where probationally highered and we had to do a drug test and couldn't have any felonies on our record.

I did not negotiate.

Media Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American University.

You will put in an application (usually online), if you are selected you will do three additional interviews: a basic phone interview with low level admin, an in-depth interview with the library HR rep, and then a through interview with the department supervisors.

Interview Questions
    • How will you discipline employees that are roughly your same age?   Answer Question
    Positions are paid hourly or salaried depending on set groups. You may qualify for the higher end of the band, but to my knowledge, you cannot get paid more.

Office Assistant (Student) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American University in August 2011.

A simple phone-call to schedule an in-person interview - as a student, what's more important is your availability as opposed to your ability. Never be afraid as a student to make yourself more available and more times, because that will go a much longer way to getting employed.

No negotiation - as a student, the university has a set rate at which they pay you.

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American University in August 2011.

Was called by future boss about coming in for an interview. The interview itself made it seem like the job would keep me very busy (in a good way), though that's not how it turned out. My future boss was very friendly, sometimes a little too chatty and repetitive, but nice. Did a writing test to see if I could match their style and tone. Was brought in for a second interview with two team members, which was a little awkward because I wasn't sure how I'd actually be working with them. They seemed like they weren't sure why they had to meet with me.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about interpreting a scientist's research for a layperson?   Answer Question
    I took a pay cut for this job, so they knew they had to offer me the highest end of the salary range.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American University in July 2011.

Received an email from the professor. Set up a time/date and went to her office to meet with her. Asked questions about interest, background, and ability to perform required duties. Went very well and received offer later in the week

Assistant Director of Payroll Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American University in May 2011.

Interviewed by HR person and one other person. Interview lasted about an hour an half. Asked a lot of hypothetical questions.

Resident Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American University in March 2011.

Initial cover letter. Resume. Ect...

In interview, the questioners are looking to show thinking from start to finish. Explain the decision the, what occurred, and what the result of that decision was. It would help to say what you would have done differently. Also, emphasize previous positions where you have had to design and lead programs.

Assistant Dean Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American University in May 2010.

Meet with various constiuencies

not much

Part Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at American University in April 2010.

continuing employment

easy

Health Fitness Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at American University in July 2008.

I met with the 2 assistant directors of Recreation Sports and Fitness separately, then met with the Director. Lastly, I met with the current Health Fitness Supervisors alone. The last part was the most informal and they gave me all inside information on the job.

There were no negotiations