American Water Interview Questions

Updated Apr 1, 2015

2.8

Operations Tech GPS/Asset Control Interview

Anonymous Employee in Delran, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Water (Delran, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview came from HR 2 weeks after applying. I met with 2 managers and they were both easy to talk to and it wasn't intimidating at all. First couple of questions were standard; discussing yourself, experience and other things on your resume. The bulk of the interview was more technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult time where you had to use problem solving skills and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    • How would you describe your relationship with previous managers?   Answer Question
    • What kinds of software, GIS and GPS are you most experienced at?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Water.

Interview

Was contacted and interviewed by a recruiter and told about the position, seemed like a great fit with my background doing mergers and acquisitions. We settled on a rate and was submitted for the role. Interest and an interview was scheduled with the hiring manager. On the day of the interview with the hiring manager the interview was cancelled 10 minutes after the scheduled time because after further review they felt i was over qualified for the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Could i explain my experience with corporate Mergers and Acquisitons.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at American Water (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Had a phone interview with a regional HR rep. After that I met with the hiring manager for an informal interview. I then went to an onsite interview that involved behavioral/experience questions. I had one more informal interview where we went out to lunch.

Interview Questions

I received another offer that I couldn't pass up.

Category Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Water (Cherry Hill, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online. No phone screen. Interview setup via email by HR person that I never spoke to or met. In person interview with a panel, including hiring manager, and manager above that, plus one other department person. Though I emailed the HR person after my interview, I never heard a response of any kind.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Water (New Orleans, LA) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online then was contacted by HR 3 days later. HR did a 30 min. interview then scheduled a phone interview with the project managers for the following week. All the questions were technical questions regarding construction management.

Interview Questions

• If a contractor gives you an invoice, how would you verify the work vs the dollar amount?   Answer Question
    • How do you organize project documents and keep track of project costs?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Water (Pensacola, FL).

Interview

Interviewed by two people, be prepared to recall upon past experiences.

Project Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Voorhees, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Water (Voorhees, NJ) in January 2014.

Interview

Was referred to the project manager support position through a recruiting company. The mgr was placed at the company and they referred me as a qualified candidate. I had a 30 -40 minute phone interview. The feedback I received was that I interviewed well but they were looking for someone with more SDLC experience. But this was not a (required) skill listed in the job description.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked were behavioral and project related; how do you control risks on a project; what were project documentations used in past projects; what is there that you would like to tell me about yourself that I do not know already regarding the position;   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Water (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

Initial screening was done by corporate office HR by phone. Was called back the day after to schedule an in-person interview at the office where the job was located. Interview was a very organized conference call with 3 interviewers total and lasted about an hour. Was called the day after the interview with the offer. Process after the initial phone screen was quick. In person interview was primarily a standard behavioral interview.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Water in November 2013.

Interview

After a phone interview, two face to face interviews, skills test, background check (including driving, credit and criminal) plus a DOT physical, I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• A lot of behavioral questions, not hard, but if your nervous the answers might not come to you quickly.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Good salary, good PTO, excellent benefits.

Intermediate Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Water (Lexington-Fayette, KY).

Interview

Fair and reasonable questions.