American Water

20 candidate interviews

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Alton, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Water in June 2010.

Interview Details – Hired during a mass hiring right after a job fair. Total process took about a week, but the company had just opened and had several positions to fill.

Interview Question – The type of interview questions asked are "behavioral interview" questions. Basically tell me about a time........   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Water in November 2013.

Interview Details – After a phone interview, two face to face interviews, skills test, background check (including driving, credit and criminal) plus a DOT physical, I got an offer.

Interview Question – A lot of behavioral questions, not hard, but if your nervous the answers might not come to you quickly.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Good salary, good PTO, excellent benefits.

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
New Orleans, LA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Water in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online then was contacted by HR 3 days later. HR did a 30 min. interview then scheduled a phone interview with the project managers for the following week. All the questions were technical questions regarding construction management.

Interview Questions

• If a contractor gives you an invoice, how would you verify the work vs the dollar amount?   Answer Question
  • How do you organize project documents and keep track of project costs?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Water in December 2013.

Interview Details – Initial screening was done by corporate office HR by phone. Was called back the day after to schedule an in-person interview at the office where the job was located. Interview was a very organized conference call with 3 interviewers total and lasted about an hour. Was called the day after the interview with the offer. Process after the initial phone screen was quick. In person interview was primarily a standard behavioral interview.

Interview Question – Name a time you made a mistake and how you handled it   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Pensacola, FL

I applied online and interviewed at American Water.

Interview Details – Interviewed by two people, be prepared to recall upon past experiences.

Interview Question – How do you handle stress in the workplace?   Answer Question

Project Analyst Interview

Project Analyst
Voorhees, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at American Water in January 2014.

Interview Details – Was referred to the project manager support position through a recruiting company. The mgr was placed at the company and they referred me as a qualified candidate. I had a 30 -40 minute phone interview. The feedback I received was that I interviewed well but they were looking for someone with more SDLC experience. But this was not a (required) skill listed in the job description.

Interview Question – Questions asked were behavioral and project related; how do you control risks on a project; what were project documentations used in past projects; what is there that you would like to tell me about yourself that I do not know already regarding the position;   Answer Question

Intermediate Financial Analyst Interview

Intermediate Financial Analyst
Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Water.

Interview Details – Fair and reasonable questions.

Interview Question – None that I can recall.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Paralegal
Voorhees, NJ

I applied online and interviewed at American Water.

Interview Details – Was called by two in house recruiters and was told I would be contacted for an in person interview. I was never contacted. I called 4 or 5 times during a three month period to follow up and inquire as to what happened and never received a call back. Very disappointed after having spent at least an hour on the phone with the recruiter.

Eng Tech Interview

Eng Tech
Sacramento, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Water in August 2008.

Interview Details – local office interview

Negotiation Details – very quick and to the point. 6 months probation

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Voorhees, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Water in August 2010.

Interview Details – I had an employee referral, but had to apply online in order to get an interview. The phone interview was pretty standard. Questions asked to describe project management processes and how you apply them to projects. The face to face interview was a 2 person panel. Mostly behavioral questions like; how did you correct a project that was behind schedule?

Interview Question – Has a project that you managed ever been cancelled? If so, explain why.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for American Water? Contribute to the Community!

American Water Videos

American Water – Why Work for Us?

About Us In a world where everything we touch frequently changes, water is our constant. We’ve never stopped needing it to drink, to cook, to clean, to live. We’ll always need it for sanitation, for fire protection, for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Water interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Water employees and interview candidates.