American Woodmark

Updated Sep 27, 2014
Updated Sep 27, 2014

2.6

COD Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Woodmark in September 2014.

The interview mostly went over my resume. I was asked questions about my experience and activities. Other questions were about what I wanted from the program and where I saw myself working.

Interview Questions
    • What do you look for in a company?
      Where do you see yourself working in this company?

Answer Question

Entry Level Industrial Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Woodmark in October 2013.

I had a first round interview on my school's campus and then was emailed (i think- might have been called) for a second round interview where they paid for me to drive to Cumberland MD, and stay in a hotel the night before. The interview was a tour of the facility, interview with management and then question and answers with someone who had just been through the training process.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winchester, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Woodmark.

They started by giving me a detailed tour of the building, introducing me to people along the way. I took a sort of IQ test on a computer. I then met with three separate managers for one hour each, they all asked me pretty much the same questions (got pretty tedious!) and talked a lot about the process of cabinet making. They paid for my lunch and travel (ended up being quite a lot since I live kind of far away) and got back to me quickly. They gave me my offer over the phone, very nice, and unexpected touch.

Interview Questions
    • Very run of the mill questions, "Tell me about yourself", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", etc..   Answer Question

I had already accepted an offer at a place that was closer to home.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cumberland, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Woodmark in May 2013.

Applied online. Was initially contacted by an HR rep, talked for about twenty minutes about my previous experiences. Was asked to come in for an interview on site. Was interviewed by same HR rep and plant engineer. Given plant tour. Said there would be a second round of interviews but never got contacted for second round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us how you will build relationships with employees who have been here the longest   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Woodmark.

Detailed, lengthy interview process. Meeting with multiple representatives within company. Interview includes personality assessment and Wonderlic testing. Recruiting face of company is positive and company appears to know what they are looking for in applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Relatively informal without difficult questions, company seems to focus first on assessment results from tests.   View Answer
    Straightforward, with detailed offer letter.

Campus Brand Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Woodmark in February 2013.

I attended a campus recruitment. They gave me an interview the next day. Interview was easy, just wanted to know about me.

Interview Questions
    • What are some ideas I had that would help spread the brand around campus   View Answer

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Humboldt, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Humboldt, TN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Woodmark.

I had four separate interviews and that included the Plant leadership team as well as others from Corporate. The company did not pay for my travel going to the interview. After completing all interviews, it took them 3 months to select a candidate. Once selected, the company sends you to Winchester, VA for a week for orientation. After orientation, the company makes you complete an on-boarding process in which you have to pay for initially before getting reimbursed. The amount is around $500+ so make sure you are not broke before you get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Some technical questions coming from the corporate team are strange but if you have experience, you can get through them.   Answer Question
    They do not give a lot of room to negotiate. With all the different systems the company requires you to know, one would think that they'd offer about 15% -20% more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorefield, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorefield, WV

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at American Woodmark in October 2012.

First communication was when I stopped by their booth at a career fair and they set me up for a next-day interview. The first interview was pretty relaxed. Questions were very conversational and I don't remember there being any behavioral questions. It was me and two other interviewers: one a little older and one recently graduated from college. Two days later, I was invited for an on-site interview which would take place about 6 weeks later. The on-site interview was in a small town in WV, and I had to make a 6 hour drive there because there was no airport nearby. The interview itself lasted about 45 minutes, then there was a tour of the plant, and then a Q&A session with a former COD program participant. The interview was incredibly simple and no questions that would reflect any sort of talent or work ethic were asked. I was very disappointed that I spent 12 hours total travelling for about 2 hours spent at the plant. It was a huge waste of my time and I was unimpressed by the experience overall.

Interview Questions

I was unimpressed by the company and the opportunities for new graduates. I had other, much better offers on the table.

Cod Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cumberland, MD

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Woodmark in October 2012.

I got an on campus interview from a career fair. It was with a plant manager and current cod. It was very easy, pretty much just went over my résumé. I was invited to an onsite interview in Cumberland md. We flew into dc and had to drive 2.5 hours to get to the hotel. The interview consisted of a plant tour, two on one interview and a q&a with hr and former cod. The two on one was relaxed with no unexpected questions. I didn't get much of a chance to ask questions in the q&a because they talked most of the time. I was looking for a job in a larger city with a higher salary.

Interview Questions
    • What's the different between lean and six sigma?
      What is most important to you in your future career?
      What is your expected salary?

Answer Question

COD Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Woodmark in August 2012.

I had 2 interviews in total. One on campus and one at their plant in WV. I would say both were fairly straightforward and the company represents a very family oriented culture.

Interview Questions
    • I dont remember specific questions, most of them are similar to what the people say over here. I would just say be yourself. They tell you in advance that they dont negotiate so just say ok and go from there, they will take into account your background before making an offer. It is usually mid-mid range.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate because I did not have any other offers.